Track Car Project/Ideas

Grundy

Some of you may of seen the other thread about the Porsche 944, we unfortunately missed out on it, now me and a friend are looking for a CHEAP car to tinker around with and play with on track every now and then.

Ideally we want a RWD coupe. Pref not a hatchback. Something that is easy to strip and work with.

I know a few of you guys are running the Beemer.

We are currently looking at RX-8's as they are going for Peanuts.

How cheap?

Looking along the lines of £1000-£1500. It does no way need to be in mint condition etc. Going to be a car to practice a lot of things on and with.

Have a look on the driftworks for sale section for ideas

3 series, mx5, old old rx7, s13

The value of s bodies had risen recently

Thanks I'll have a look now.

Define - peanuts :)

I may have a line on a 350z that would be good for track use in a couple of months - I'd be interested in going shares on a track car - I also have a trailer and a 4x4 to tow it with ;)

I may have a line on a 350z that would be good for track use in a couple of months - I'd be interested in going shares on a track car - I also have a trailer and a 4x4 to tow it with ;)

I'm in! :lol:

Seen a couple close the the £1k mark for 70-100k on the clock.

Aside from the obvious choices, take a look at a mk3 MR2. I'm running one as my current track car, and it's a proper little weapon.

Softtop removed and hardtop installed so coupe-like rigidity, fully stripped I reckon it weighs around 850kg, few breathing mods will see you at 150bhp easy so 175bhp/ton which is more than enough to have fun, mid-engined so perfectly balanced, cheap as chips to pick pieces up for and Jap reliability underneath.

350's or just general track cars at that price?

I fancy a 350 track toy as I drive 1 and I have quite a few spares ;) but not seen anything that cheap - probably as it would be broken for parts.

Edited by Keyser

350's or just general track cars at that price?

I fancy a 350 track toy as I drive 1 and I have quite a few spares ;) but not seen anything that cheap - probably as it would be broken for parts.

That price was for RX-8's, not looked at Zeds.

Would be nice to have a 350z just for track, as you say we drive one :lol:

How about a mr2 mk2 ?? There's one for sale somewhere wink wink

Aside from the obvious choices, take a look at a mk3 MR2. I'm running one as my current track car, and it's a proper little weapon.

Softtop removed and hardtop installed so coupe-like rigidity, fully stripped I reckon it weighs around 850kg, few breathing mods will see you at 150bhp easy so 175bhp/ton which is more than enough to have fun, mid-engined so perfectly balanced, cheap as chips to pick pieces up for and Jap reliability underneath.

Yeah this was another one I've seen on a few threads, think mainly from your comments Dan.

what kind of power to handling ratio do you want? cos it will dictate what cheap car you get. if you want decent twisty cornering ability but don't mind being overtaken on the straights, go for an MX5 or an MR2. if you want loads of power but not that good through corners, get a cheap zed or maybe an old 5 series with a V8.

Personally, I think a 3 series is the optimal balance for a cheap track car - enough power to hold you own on the straights, relatively light to get through the corners. plus parts are dirt cheap. Used to have an MX5 and have been on a track in an MX5, just didn't have the power to satisfy me, no matter how good it was through the bends.

there just so happens to be a track prepared 328i on ebay at the moment for a grand... its just like ours, except better lol. might be worth a look? depends how much work you want to do on it yourself, or if you're like me, and just want to drive it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-328i-Sport-Coupe-Road-Legal-Track-day-Car-/331201638804

what kind of power to handling ratio do you want? cos it will dictate what cheap car you get. if you want decent twisty cornering ability but don't mind being overtaken on the straights, go for an MX5 or an MR2. if you want loads of power but not that good through corners, get a cheap zed or maybe an old 5 series with a V8.

Personally, I think a 3 series is the optimal balance for a cheap track car - enough power to hold you own on the straights, relatively light to get through the corners. plus parts are dirt cheap. Used to have an MX5 and have been on a track in an MX5, just didn't have the power to satisfy me, no matter how good it was through the bends.

there just so happens to be a track prepared 328i on ebay at the moment for a grand... its just like ours, except better lol. might be worth a look? depends how much work you want to do on it yourself, or if you're like me, and just want to drive it!

http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/331201638804

Bit of both, with as it being a toy as apposed to a daily drive, I'd like to test the water with it - I.e. my own spraying, mechanics, customising etc.

And again would just want to get straight on track :lol:

This. Or if you want invest more and can do mechanical stuff yourself, find one with a broken engine (not hard!) and swap in a 189bhp 2ZZGE engine and short ratio 6-speed gearbox (fairly straight forward for an engine conversion POV) and you'll have the straight line power to match the handling..

Have to say for fun for the buck its pretty hard to beat the 328 we picked up for an absolute bargain. Shes not the quickest or the most agile but flexible enough to suit our needs and perfectly capable of holding her own on track. Best money ive spent for the biggest smiles

• Like 1

They're good, but you'd need to bin the suspension straight away as well as fit the sohn adaptor before tracking it.

MR2 mk2s are not great handling cars, even a mk1 would be a better choice. 328 is a great option, but upgrades not as cheap as with lesser marques.

Can't remember how far I read your 944 thread but have you not considered another one? There's usually a few for sale in that price bracket

How much do the 968s go for?

Rx8 maybe cheap to buy, but will cost you money in the long run, whether that be for an eventual rebuild or parts to make it better i.e coilovers, strut bars, cage, pads/discs, even down to tyres (18") etc, not a huge amount of 2nd hand goodies available either so unless your patient you will have to buy new.

If cheap is the keyword i wouldnt look any further than a Mx5 Mk2, cheap to buy, lightweight and there are a plethora of 2nd hand parts always available which are also cheap, tyres will be cheap as you would probably run 15's or 16's, pads and discs etc etc Worst case scenario and you stack it/blow an engine, there are always 100's being broken on the forum or in breakers yards. Have a look on Mx5Nutz. Or if your really lucky, i picked up a Mk1 Bbr Turbo for £1k a couple of years ago, needed a couple of hundred quid spent on it but would have been a great track car without the need for getting in mot'd.

If you get bored after a while 2nd hand turbo kits are always being sold and with the right mods (fuelling/intercooler/ecu etc) your over 200bhp and up to 250bhp on standard internals ;)

I know someone who would part with a Nissan 300zx (Non Turbo) Slicktop (no targa's and short wheel base).

They've been known to make good track cars.

Drop me a PM if interested.