Debt Collection Agencies...

General query really to help guide an internet-less work colleague...

Does anybody happen to know for sure the following.

Basically, on your personal credit file where any defaults, loan providers and financial credit history etc happen to be stored, does anybody know that if you have an account which has defaulted from 4 years ago now, if it is "settled" with the collections company as a "final payment", can you have that particular file taken off your credit file completely or does it have to stay there unless the full balance is cleared? And would the default marked as "settled" or "satisfied" improve your credit file or remain indifferent?

Any help appreciated!

Is the balance settled, or not? Is there any money owing whatsoever?

Either way, I don't see why it should be removed as it gives an indication of the persons credit history, which is the whole point.

• Like 2

I think Ricey will know definitively.

I believe Ekona is correct, even though it's settled it's an indicator for lenders so it will stay on there for a predetermined time from when it's settled not the default date if infact it will expire.

• Like 2

I have pointed him in the direction of Noddle which is basically a free version of Experian which i also use to keep my credit in good standing. But as Ekona says, it would probably stay on file as indicated, the whole point is to build a credit history.

From what we were chatting about earlier, i gather he has been offered a "final offer" which is a heavily reduced lump sum to finalise and clear that account. I think his concern though is that it will prevent him getting credit still, even if his account is then corrected to state he has settled up and closed that account with the collections company.

I had something similar years ago due to an unauthorised overdraft of just 1p which Lloyds then proceeded to charge me £20 a day for 3 months on as i refused to pay their ludicrous charges on but finally disputed it with the FSO and won, then it reappeared on my file about 3 years ago and i had to kick up all manor or holy hell to get it removed again.

Surely these agencies shouldn't have the power to just screw with people like this when accounts have already been settled!? Surely it's illegal and immoral?

• Like 1

Noddle is crap, doesn't have half the info experian has.

Anyway, stays there for 6 year then it should be removed but it might need a little nudge via a phone call to experian.

• Like 2

If he's been offered a big saving on getting the amount paid off i'd take it. saves him money.

If he has to default the account to get this money off i wouldn't do it unless he has no choice. defaults do effect your credit rating quite badly.

When I was in consumer finance dealing with specifically sub prime customers (about 6 years ago) they remained on file, just showing as settled, when they were cleared. In my personal experience if a human is making a lending decision, an old and settled default might not be too bad if the rest of your credit and disposable income is strong, but if it's a computer making a judgement and it's a prime lender you're applying to, it may just spit out a straight forward no.

Equifax or Experian for searching yourself I'd suggest.

• Like 2

If he takes the reduced settlement offer it will be reflected on his credit file as partially settled showing to other creditors that this person borrowed an amount of money, defaulted on it and then the company took a lesser amount to recoup a chunk of the money back in one go.

Not a good thing for new lenders to see.

A default can only be removed if it was a mistake.

• Like 1

If he takes the reduced settlement offer it will be reflected on his credit file as partially settled showing to other creditors that this person borrowed an amount of money, defaulted on it and then the company took a lesser amount to recoup a chunk of the money back in one go.

Not a good thing for new lenders to see.

A default can only be removed if it was a mistake.

does it show the partly settled on the reports the companies see rather than the one you can see at equifax? My ones just showed settled once paid off.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I've just spoken with his missus on the phone (as he's in the shower) and she is under the impression that this account defaulted just short of 5 years ago now.

Does that mean that it will be removed from his file in roughly another year regardless as to whether he settles or leaves it? Or will it start another 6 year term from date of settlement?

I think his intentions are to get a mortgage with his future wife so instead of applying and damaging his rating any further, he wants to get it sorted out and better his credit rating now. I think his missus's major concern now, give is that if he takes this reduced payment, it could start another 6 year period of showing on his file instead of just letting it run out another year...

I'm not very up on financial advice, i've just always made sure i paid my debtors on time or before and if i couldn't afford the payments, i didn't lend the money. Simple but effective! I'm a few years older than this wee scamp though haha!

From my experience it'll be removed from his record after 6 years of the default date. Doesn't mean you don't owe the money though. Still need to pay it off I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I did all this probably about 10 years ago now.

Debts don't die provided they have followed the correct notification process.

Credit file will only show info for a 6 year profile. It should drop off after that.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would of thought it would be 6 from day of settlement, I recently got sting for my service charges at flat disputed it for ages paid just before going to court... It still went to court as housing failed to tell them is paid, long and short I went to get loan and found I had ccj that's 2 years old marked as 'unpaid' I'm screwed for 6 years and had to fight pretty hard to get them to back date it to when I cleared amount.

It will be there regardless I'm afraid

I would of thought it would be 6 from day of settlement, I recently got sting for my service charges at flat disputed it for ages paid just before going to court... It still went to court as housing failed to tell them is paid, long and short I went to get loan and found I had ccj that's 2 years old marked as 'unpaid' I'm screwed for 6 years and had to fight pretty hard to get them to back date it to when I cleared amount.

It will be there regardless I'm afraid

Hey dude the default notice stuff says 6 years from time of default and I'm pretty sure that's what I paid and how it went with me. Ccj's are different i thought but don't know when they run from. May well be that is from the settlement date.

An item of credit that's still 'live' will be 6 years from the point its settled. I.e if you make every payment but miss the last 3 payments on a credit card, clear the balance and close the account your credit profile would show 321000000000 'Settled'

A default is classed as a 'settled' account once it shows status 8 in the payment profile.....eg 8666654333210 (no such thing as a status 7)

A CCJ I think stays for 6 years from the point of it being granted so technically yes you could default 5 years ago, get a CCJ last year and have to wait another 6 years until it disappears however the original default would drop off after 6 years leaving only the CCJ

A CCJ has a double impact on credit file as you still have the original default as well! therefore it looks like 2 items of adverse credit to the credit scoring systems.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

So, i'm gathering that if he settles, his account would show as such for the next 12 months of so and then it will fall off his credit file regardless... Crickey, i'm glad i have some sense when it comes to finance. If i was in his boat, i think i'd rather sh*t in my hands and clap - everyday, than have to deal with collections agencies chasing me every 5 minutes...

Also worth being aware that debts can become 'statute barred', after 6 years (Limitations Act 1980). If there has been no acknowledgement of the debt for that period in the form of part payment or correspondence, it can't be recovered through the courts. A debt collection agency could still ask for payment because the debt still exists, but could not successfully bring a case to recover it.