Advice

Face

Hi

if your 350z was your only mode of transport and a new job requires you to travel 120mls a day,

would you.............

Sell the 350 or do the journey in it?

Also to consider in 3 months time you are going to be moving a lot closer to work, which would drop it to about 20mls a day

What would you do???

My readout say im getting 21.1 to the gallon

Cheers

Well, there is also the issue of adding 8000 miles to your Zed in 3 months - depreciation as well as running costs and also with that sort of mileage does that bring forwards your service? Also you need to insure as a work use vehicle as well which is cost.

For three months, maybe consider a small engined shed ? Then sell it?

• Like 2

Well, there is also the issue of adding 8000 miles to your Zed in 3 months - depreciation as well as running costs and also with that sort of mileage does that bring forwards your service? Also you need to insure as a work use vehicle as well which is cost.

For three months, maybe consider a small engined shed ? Then sell it?

Or this :)

In 2012 I used to do a 80 mile round trip from London to Tunbridge Wells and back in my Z for a full year (contract I had at the time with AXA). I got about 30 mpg on the motorway and was a better alternative to the train which was even more expensive than fuel costs I think. Was a much more fun way of getting to work - yes it put a lot of miles that year but now working in the city I'm only doing about 2000 miles a year as a weekend car so in time it might balance out in the end.

120 miles a day = 2 hours driving x 5 = 10 per week x52 = 520 per year / 12 = 43 hours per month giving a grand total of = 21 1/2 days a year in the car commuting to work

Each journey costs you £35 a day roughly.

40mpg costs you £18 a day roughly

£17 per day saving x 5 = £85 per week x 52 = £4420 per year / 12 = £368 per month saved over the zed.

So it's either 20 days a year miserable and mundane with an extra 4.5k in your sky rocket or or 20 days inspired and happy but in the long run back to miserable again because you know that 4.5k of your pay rise has just gone up in smoke.

Alternatives to my mind are super, super uber cheap derv to knock around in (500 quid plus running costs) or sling the zed

• Like 2

I got a 300 quid saxo when my commute increased, i ended up driving it all week... and well, when big mileage was to be done, it made sense to put it on that and not the zed. Also, bnq trips or, well anything where i'd be throwing stuff in were done in the saxo. Then, if I was going out that night and taking the car, it made sense to take the saxo so i didnt have to park the zed in town and get it scratched etc.

Before i knew it I spent zero time in the zed and it was a bigger waste of money sitting there losing value than if i'd just driven it.

sell it and buy a diesel or keep it and stomach the cost.

sell it and buy a diesel or keep it and stomach the cost.

What he said.

I do a daily 90mile commute, and my zed was costing me a small fortune. £450 a month alone on fuel - even if i drove like a grandad it would still return about 25/26mpg max. I drew up a spreadsheet working out the total monthly costs of running the zed, including insurance, tax, service, depreciation, tyres etc and it came to £1250 a month.

What I did for a while was to buy a cheapie Peugeot 307HDI for £1500. I ran that for about 6 months along side the zed. The Peugeot was doing 56mpg which dropped my monthly fuel bill down to more like £200. Tax was cheap compared to the £500 my zed was costing and insurance was also cheap. Tyres cost nothing compared to £700 a set etc. etc. But then of course, the major cost with 2 cars is that you then have 2 lots of insurance, mot, tax, servicing etc. Even so, if I remember correctly, the combined costs of running the 2 cars still worked out cheaper than using the zed all the time. I also found that in only using the zed maybe a couple of days a week, I enjoyed it a lot more. It became a fun experience rather than a boring trundle to work in hours of traffic jams.

Ultimately I realised the best option was to sell both the Peugeot & the zed and buy a decent diesel - which depending on which one you go for can give you best of both worlds.

I now run a BMW 123d Coupe. Its RWD, handles better than the zed, does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds (so only half a second off), has over 200bhp and 400nm (about 300ft/lb i think). And yet im still getting 50mpg in my daily commute. Road tax is £130 a year, insurance cost me half the price of the zed, servicing, tyres etc are about the same (just had a set of tyres for £750). The monthly total cost of my 123d according to my spreadsheet is about £650, so roughly half what the zed cost me and yet I still get the performance/fun. In addition if I get bored with its performance for about £300 I can remap it to 270bhp & 500Nm which is pretty staggering.

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 2

What is the avarage MPG if you drive like a Grandad?

I know what the Nissan figures are but whats the actual driver figure?

About 31mpg, keep it!

How the hell do you get 31 mpg ???

Not using 1st at lights and upshifting at 1500rpm gets me 23mpg?

About 31mpg, keep it!

31MPG over 1700 miles around Europe - and that was with a very spirited drive or 2 down the autobahn.

About 31mpg, keep it!

I got 32mpg odd last weekend over 30+ miles with a mix of driving but mostly on the M4. It is possible.

hmmm, well if you do 120 miles a day you'll be able to do 400 miles to a tank, ~£100 in petrol.

120 miles a day = 600 miles a week. 3 months=12 weeks= 7200 miles = 18 tanks of petrol= £1800 in petrol.

my advice - keep the zed for when you move closer, then do the 20mile commute in the zed. Until then, buy the cheapest nastiest derv you can off ebay, needs to be taxed and tested for 3 months, naturally. something around the £300 mark. assuming your mpg doubles, you spend £900 in diesel, and you save £600 (and keep the miles off the zed) once the three months are up, either ebay the snotter if theres still tax and mot on it, or scrap it for ~£200 back.

commuting is tedious and dull. as long as you have a car that can keep up with traffic, you want to do it as comfortably as possible - so look for cruise control, comfy seats and a cd player on your snotter, and something sizeable and well insulated from road noise. Mondeo diesel maybe?

• Like 1