Non rev up 06 zed?!?!?

mattbrom

I made a bit of a boob when I bought mine, I was happy with an 06 DE as the price was right

and the car was very well looked after and it had all the right bits.

BUT I didn't check on the new tax band as it is just inside the higher bracket..!!

It doesn't unduly worry me though. :blush:

I'm sorry, but I disagree... Yes, the seller / dealer should be accurate... But it's your £8000! I for one am not rich enough to blow that much cash without making 100% sure I know exactly what I'm buying. At some point you, as the buyer, need to take responsibility or you find yourself in this sort of situation.

I understand what ajh350z is saying but I totally agree with Paddy78. In this day and age I personally do not trust any car dealers as far as I can throw them, not only that, its your money you need to be 100% sure with what you are buying.

Take for example, last year I bought a Ducati 996. Now, I spent ages reading up on all the various models of 996, what spec they are, what you get, what is desirable, what mods and extras and what they cost. Which years had which items as stock, how much each year is likely to cost me. I personally looked at about 3 bikes over a 4 month period, did full HPI background checks on them, checked with Ducati what spec they were directly (okay, I cant see many people doing that with Nissan on a 350z). I even went as far as to phone up the previous garages who had serviced it to check what they had done. In the end I bought one, paid slightly more than others id seen, but it was the right one for me. It was the spec I wanted, year I wanted, colour I wanted. Having done my research I knew that it would likely need about £1200 spending on it straight away with servicing etc, and I factored that into my pricing. I also knew it had about £600 of extras on it.

On the other hand, I could have just popped into a local dealer, forked out £6k and walked out their showroom with one without even blinking an eye or knowing anything about them, and trusting the dealer when he said "yeah its had a full service...."

Like the others on here, i do hope Matt gets it all sorted. J17 seem to be quite a big dealership now - i used to live about a 5 minute walk from them. Ive not dealt with them personally but they do seem to have a lot of cars in stock and be doing really well.

Edited by rabbitstew
  • Like 2

It may just come down to whether they deliberately miss-led you or not.

If the salesman was unaware of the model differences he may be genuine in his description of the car and feel that it represented a fair price taking into account milage and condition etc.

Glasses guide is just that..... a guide. The car may still be worth what was paid for it off a forecourt.

Based on this i would approach them in the hope you may get some money back as you bought the car purely because it was a particular model and that was the model they were apparently selling.

They may not feel the model differences make this particular car worth any less. So you need to get them to understand why you bought what they were selling.

This is the car trade........any forecourt price can be asked and if your happy to pay it it does not mean you been ripped off.

You may be better saying you dont want the car as its not as described (if thats the case) rather than trying to get money back.

The point about the value that i am trying to make is, its not just a simple case of spec that will determine what its worth its the total package, which is why they will probably feel they haven`t over charged you.

Good luck and hope you get a result your happy with.

Edited by gsexr
  • Like 1

It's unfortunate and I hope you get it resolved, no one likes to feel swindled.

Maybe for the future you will keep in mind to use all the resources available to you when buying a used car, knowledge is power as they say. I for one, like many others I bet, came straight to this forum before even looking at a car and read the buyers guide and read other threads/articles.

As said, good luck getting it sorted. Although I'm starting to get nervous about my cars value with people saying a DE is worth £2k less at £8300.... :scare::surrender::scare: :scare: :scare: or however Will does it.

• Like 1

Quick question to all the brainy types: People on this forum speak of 'having an up rev done'. What does this mean?

Is it a remap / tune up similar to that of what Nissan did to the DE engine to give it 296BHP?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quick question to all the brainy types: People on this forum speak of 'having an up rev done'. What does this mean?

Is it a remap / tune up similar to that of what Nissan did to the DE engine to give it 296BHP?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Since no brainy types have answered yet... up rev I believe is the software used to remap the car. Part of the cost is the licence for this. The remap basically removes the throttle restrictions in 1st to 3rd gears. It also unleashes a few extra bhp / torque. I don't think this alone would account for the difference between DE and Rev Up as there are some engine changes?

To be honest I could have made the same mistake by making the same assumption that if it's a 2006 it will have the uprev engine. Although I did do a little research before I purchased my Zed. The thing is that as I am new to the model I would not know the (subtle) difference between the old and new bumpers or the lights. I know all off this now including the up graded interior etc etc. In my case luckily I have the genuine item but can understand the OP's predicament and if I were him I would feel well and truly miffed. I am sure others on this forum have made purchases with the heart and not the head (easy to do with a Zed) so all this 'you should have researched it more is unfair to the OP...Just my 2 Cents worth.

• Like 3

To be honest I could have made the same mistake by making the same assumption that if it's a 2006 it will have the uprev engine.

Yes, easily done :blush: . Still, at the end of the day I got a £4k discount and mine is now worth £400 or £500 less than a 2006 uprev :) .

Pete

Not really an update chaps but I rang them up for the original spec sheet they had on the car but apparently because it's sold the original spec sheet they had for it has been deleted.

So tonight I've just been gathering all the resources so I can tackle them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not really an update chaps but I rang them up for the original spec sheet they had on the car but apparently because it's sold the original spec sheet they had for it has been deleted.

So tonight I've just been gathering all the resources so I can tackle them tomorrow.

best of luck :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK

The 300 PS engine was quite a lot different from the 280 ... there were some internal changes to valves etc. to allow it to rev higher IIRC ... I don't know what I'm talking about really but I do know that it wasn't just a remap !

• Like 1

Right then... I have been in touch with j17 today.

I outlined that my car isn't the 300spec and all that jazz the guy listened and argued his point saying it's not his fault it's someone else's. So he said he'd ring me back and check over everything his end so basically they've rang back and offered me a nice deal which I'm disclosing but I'm happy with it. :)

All in all if j17 made a genuine mistake they've rectified it for me and if anyone buys from them just be a bit wary do research which I should of done more thoroughly. I'm treating my car as a rare one as there can't be many or any which are registered so late in 2006 and have the DE engine :)

I'm going to do some performance upgrades to it now you know the usual stuff and try and bring it up to that magic 300 figure :)

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me on this topic I didn't think it would've got so many replies and views you've all been a massive help to a new guy like me :D

Hopefully i'll set a progress thread up soon so watch this space :D

• Like 5

There is..Mine is an end of April 2006 DE, not sure I would class it as "rare"

I class it as one of the last DEs, without the advantage of the up-rev which costs me more money to tax..!

But glad your happy..

That salesman can come and work for me..! :scare: :scare:

I outlined that my car isn't the 300spec and all that jazz the guy listened and argued his point saying it's not his fault it's someone else's. So he said he'd ring me back and check over everything his end so basically they've rang back and offered me a nice deal which I'm disclosing but I'm happy with it. :)

You haven't told us what the deal was Matt.. :surrender:

We cannot wait.. :yahoo:

• Like 1

You should know not to believe everything you read. ;)
  • Like 1

You should know not to believe everything you read. ;)

I have been in meetings today, and called coffee brakes to follow this thread

and comment on it, now why wont the OP tell us the outcome, I'm sure he's not been

sworn to secrecy by J17... :scare: :scare: