Not Again!

SiriusProjects

Some of you may remember a post that I put on the forum last week about an attempt I made to fit a roof spoiler, that didn't go well.

Today I attempted to install a set of bonnet dampers and wouldn't you know it, that went wrong too. I thought I had fitted them okay based on an article I found on here, but once fitted, the bonnet only seemed to open to just over half away and I couldn't open it any further. In the process of taking them off I managed to knacker one of them and also chipped some paintwork off of the passenger side wing.

Needless to say, that's it. I am never going to attempt to do any more jobs myself. It might cost me, but I'm going to get my usual garage to do all the work from now on.

• Like 6

What bonnet lifters where they btw?

Tbh these things are pretty basic to fit so unless you had a faulty set somehow I can't see what could go wrong bar fitting them the wrong way round but even then they would still work. :dry:

After you fit them they do take some time just to bed in so to speak. Mine work a lot better now then when I first fitted them as I used to gently help them lift the last few inches.

• Like 1

I bought them new from Tarmac. They have stickers on denoting left and right and I assumed that would be based on me standing in front of the car looking at the engine, but I did wonder if perhaps it was based on when I am sat in the car.

Should have looked like this when fitted.

1557.JPG

I think if I remember rightly when standing in front of the car the left should go on the right & vice a versa. :dry:

Keep on trying with the DIY as there is nothing like the satisfaction you get when you've completed a job. If you have anyone living near you who is competent and owns a Zed then ask them to give you a hand so you can learn 'hands on' and see how things are done. Plus you can save a small fortune and put that cash towards new parts. You've learnt something on this thread and that's what its all about. Don't give up just yet, keep spinning the spanners. Good Luck.

• Like 1

I'm exactly the same mate, every time I try to do work on my own car I manage to make a balls of it haha.

I managed to dint the rear boot lid removing the rear wiper, I couldn't get the wiper off so I put a cloth over the bootlid and tried to prise it off with a kitchen knife :lol:

Yes I am that stupid, wiper came off but I dented the boot lid with the force of it.

In the guide I wrote, which I assume you read, it does say that the brackets are marked L & R and where you had to be for this to make sense, can't remember from the top of my head though.

I read your guide when fitting mine and found it to be very helpful and imo pretty straight forward. Thanks btw. :thumbs:

You even wrote this Chris right at the beginning of the guide. :dry::lol:

Please take note, the black brackets are keyed, they have L or R stickers on them, this is from the inside perspective, so if your standing looking at the front of the car everything is backwards. The L bracket goes on the right and the R bracket on the left.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/72194-how-to-fit-circuit-sports-bonnet-dampers/

Ahh GMB, you beat me to it! I was just about to link to Chris's guide. I'd even copied the URL and was about to paste it :lol:

But yeah, I'd advise anyone fitting circuit sports style dampers to read this guide fully before fitting them.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.

I was a bit of a late starter when it came to cars and modding. It was several years ago when I got a Toyota Supra MK4 that I really started getting the modding bug. But even then I would get qualified mechanics to do any work on the car that I needed.

I'm not ashamed to say that these days I'm totally hooked on the world of car modding and cars in general. I love it and I have a real passion to want to learn more. As sad as it may sound, I spend a lot of time on the forum just reading articles and finding out as much as I can.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice.

I was a bit of a late starter when it came to cars and modding. It was several years ago when I got a Toyota Supra MK4 that I really started getting the modding bug. But even then I would get qualified mechanics to do any work on the car that I needed.

I'm not ashamed to say that these days I'm totally hooked on the world of car modding and cars in general. I love it and I have a real passion to want to learn more. As sad as it may sound, I spend a lot of time on the forum just reading articles and finding out as much as I can.

I've been working on my own cars for years and have also worked in a few garages including a classic car restorers but even I still need help with things & have paid other people to do jobs I'd rather not tackle myself or on my own.

Don't worry about it as at least you're willing to have a go which is more than some people will do.

Any problems or questions just ask on here and I'm sure you'll get some help with future projects if you get stuck. :thumbs:

• Like 2

I'd never 'modified' or really even touched a car until I got my Zed. But spending (far too much) time on this forum and contracting Zeditis soon changed that.:lol:

I think the important things are; don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure of anything, and if you do make a mistake - learn from it. :thumbs:

Sorry to say it mate but I've had a right chuckle at this! The fashion in which you've written this is brilliant, definitely the most entertaining read of the day.

Don't give up, it's all about patience. A lot of people rush into getting a job done because they feel excited about doing it and are eager to get it on so they can see the finished article. Simple things like left and right can get overlooked when you're blinded by the end goal.

Slow, methodical, right.

^^ What he said.

Even if things are going well, stupid things can still happen. I fitted my reverse camera yesterday, and whilst the bumper skin was off (to do the job right), noticed the abortion of fog lamp wiring. Whilst improving it, the pvc tape dropped out of my pocket and started rolling away down my drive. Well a quickly propped up bumper skin becomes one that, like toast, lands on its face - all for the sake of a catching a roll of tape. Oh course my shiny bumper skin didn't fall on the grass, but on the drive and found a stone, leaving - you guessed it - a scratch. Ho hum.