What 4-seater?

Commander

Alright chaps, here's the pickle...

I've got a 2007 HR that I use for work (3-4days / week I work from home, 1-2days / week I visit customers all over the UK). I'm about to be TUPE'd with about 250 of my colleagues to another company and they have different car rules. "Must have four seats" is the main concern and "must not be extravagant" is possibly another, but as a standard car worth less than 10k I can probably argue the latter one.

I can't afford to keep the Zed and have another car for work, so the Zed may well have to go if my appeal against this new rule fails, but what to swap it for?

I'd like to keep something at least vaguely powerful and that I can at get close to 30MPG with on the motorway. We're also in the process of moving to a house that needs plenty of DIY so I wouldn't be adverse to a sporty estate, so long as it can still tick a few 'fun' boxes... and all this for less than about £12k.

Here are my thoughts so far;

E46 M3 - looking a bit old / high mileage now?

E90 M3 - too expensive

Audi S4 - too expensive / high mileage?

Audi RS4 - too expensive

Civic TypeR - too chavvy?

Civic 2.2 CDTI - still too chavvy?

BMW 330/530 Saloon / Estate - don't know much about these?

Inifniti G37 - too expensive?

Any other ideas?!

I'd be tempted by a 350GT, but my mate just landed one of these, loads of car for the cash and with no roof you've got loads of room for transport stuff for your house move, over 30mpg (alleged), totally practical suggestion :lol:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402282146188/sort/default/usedcars/make/bmw/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/6_series/body-type/convertible/radius/1501/postcode/fy14qs/page/1/price-to/10000?logcode=p

Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Mitsubishi Evo, Ford Mustang, Camaro,

None of which exactly give out the right image. You rock up to a meeting with a client in one of those and they're not going to be massively impressed, sadly.

Alfa Brera is a good shout though, if not the last word in driving dynamics.

• Like 1

We've got a Civic 2.2 and BMW 335i in the family.

I wouldn't say the Civic was chavvy, there's loads on them around, it's massive inside, get the top of the range model and it's full of toys, your get 50mpg on a M run quite easily, and to be very honest it's got enough power/torque to keep up with most things. I've been able to keep it pretty much stuck to the bumper of a 330i down a country road once, and let's just say it was a rather sprites drive ;)...But not really a 'fun' car to drive, buy one for commuting not for fun/driving pleasure.

The 335 is on a whole different levels, stock is pretty good but not all that exciting, spend some money on decent mods (£5k ish) and it's basically a junior M car. I've got the saloon and it's not the most practical car, boot is small, rear seats don't fold down, and despite been bigger on the outside than the Civic rear leg room is worse.

Edited by gangzoom