BMW 335 coupe

TomLum

So i bought my 350z middle of last summer and its been faultless I love it to bits! Love the styling and the way it drives. However ive accepted a job offer down in London and now thinking the Z might not be the most practical to move down there with :( As much as I love it I think its going to cost me a fortune in commuting and coming back up north every now and again to see friends / family.

Sooo ive been looking at 335d coupes. Now before you all grab the pitch forks and come looking for me, I never thought I would be tempted by a diesel but after looking at there statistics and reading reviews from previous petrol heads they are starting to look very tempting. 3.0l twin turbo lump are quick as stock but with a simple remap and DPF delete takes them to 350-370 bhp and a whopping 700mn torque! And owners still claim to achieve up to 50mpg on longer runs!

I do agree every man and his dog has a 3 series but out of them all i do actually like the styling of the e92 coupe and the 335 rear end. Anyone have any experience with these? Or care to share an opinion?

IMG_7199_zpse0dc6e20.jpg

120_1_zps33fbcad0.jpg

Certainly is a powerful machine after a map - plenty of reviews kicking around (have to admit I did cast an eye at the petrol twin turbo at one point) comparing the diesel to the petrol...maybe don't go the whole hog to rep mobile hell and at least get a petrol :lol:

maybe don't go the whole hog to rep mobile hell and at least get a petrol :lol:

I agree with this the petrol would certainly been my prefered choice but then It defeats the reason im looking at the dirty diesal and I wouldnt be any better off! And I would prefer to have my Zed :teeth:

Edited by TomLum

Can't comment on the coupe but I have a x3 3.0d twin turbo family car which is essentially the same engine and have to say that the engine is superb especially coupled to the 8 speed semi-auto. I only get 30mpg but then again its a SUV that weighs 1.8 ton dry! With a remap I'd imagine it would be pretty mental with all that torque.

Thanks for the positive constructive comments. I remember last time when I was considering changing my old car for the Zed on another forum I got so much abuse! Some very narrow minded people.

Think im going to have to have a poke around one of these and see what I think. Its alot of car for not silly money.

The coupes definitely are a sexy machine. And for your reasons of regular long distance driving the 335d would be the perfect balance in power and running costs as well as an all around nice car too. If I was in your position I'd be looking at similar options, but also looking at the Audi A5 too ;) good luck with the search mate :thumbs:

Love the diesel's, so much power but can look a little dated but find the right one with lots of spec, amazing tool. If it does not work out then hunt around for something else.

I sold my zed after 6 good years of motoring and bought a VW GT TDi MK7, my first vw, loving it to bit's.

I had a drive of a remapped 335d coupe yesterday, all I can is what a car, lovely looking and very quick, I mean it goes quick very easily being a diesel, handles very well, you wil not be disappointed with the performance on any level

I'm not keen on the interior but that's just me, it has everything and more as far as functions go

Drive one you can't fail to be impressed

If you want to change just for the sake of it, then go for it: They're great cars. However, if it's a cost-saving exercise then you might be better off sticking with the Zed.

By the time you've inevitably spent more on buying the BMW via the higher sticker price and losing on whatever the Zed goes for, you then need to add in the extra cost of diesel itself, plus the BMW-tax for consumables, and extra cash for the modding. By that time, and over the course of a few years, you may actually not be any better off financially.

It's just something to consider. :)

• Like 1

So i bought my 350z middle of last summer and its been faultless I love it to bits! Love the styling and the way it drives. However ive accepted a job offer down in London and now thinking the Z might not be the most practical to move down there with :( As much as I love it I think its going to cost me a fortune in commuting and coming back up north every now and again to see friends / family.

Sooo ive been looking at 335d coupes. Now before you all grab the pitch forks and come looking for me, I never thought I would be tempted by a diesel but after looking at there statistics and reading reviews from previous petrol heads they are starting to look very tempting. 3.0l twin turbo lump are quick as stock but with a simple remap and DPF delete takes them to 350-370 bhp and a whopping 700mn torque! And owners still claim to achieve up to 50mpg on longer runs!

I do agree every man and his dog has a 3 series but out of them all i do actually like the styling of the e92 coupe and the 335 rear end. Anyone have any experience with these? Or care to share an opinion?

IMG_7199_zpse0dc6e20.jpg

120_1_zps33fbcad0.jpg

Hi mate, I've had a few BMW's recently and enjoy driving them. My nephew has a 335d m sport. His came remapped but I'm sure he had another company come out and put a different map on it. I bought a brand new E92 in 2012, if your budget stretches buy a sport plus edition as they come fully loaded. It's basically an m sport with every extra on it, including m3 boot spoiler and bmw connected drive. Also the xenons and day light running lights are awesome. You can down load an app for your mobile that allows you do locate your car and unlock it etc. one last thing, forget the 50mpg!! My nephew isn't a boy racer and he only gets around 28-35 mpg.

Edited by stuarty

IMG_7199_zpse0dc6e20.jpg

120_1_zps33fbcad0.jpg

BMW makes some great cars and the 335s are aweason, but don't buy them on the basis of economy / money saving compared to the Z.

Never driven the 335D, but from what I've read they are not that much more ecnomical than the 335i. My 335i will happly do 35-40mpg on a M run if you stick the curise control on and stick to the speed limit....But than some random bit will break your have to pay £££ for to be replaced...I just spent £360 on an electicwater pump, and that with trying to source if cheap, buy it from BMW your looking at £440 :wacko:

Cannot complain too much though have spent far more on pointless mods :lol: ....Regardless of how much you spend on mods though it'll still look like a 320D to 99% of the publics, which isnt a bad thing. Still with a nice set of wheels they don't look too bad compared to the current 1 series..

13032434134_48bb8cbe08_c.jpg

But as some one has already mentioned, dont buy one on the pretence of trying to save money....These were/are nearly £40K+ new when speced up, and don't have anywhere near the realibity of the Z so be prepared to part with some £££ to keep it on the road.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

As long as you work out all the running costs then you will be fine. I use an excel spreadsheet to calculate all the actual monthly running costs over a 12 month period. So, for me, this includes insurance, tax, tyres, servicing etc. plus fuel based upon my mpg and per litre cost. I also include depreciation. For my zed this came in at about £1200 a month. So, swapping for my 123d this dropped to something like £600 a month. So for me I was "saving" a good amount of money. They arnt as expensive on parts etc as you might think. A "minor" service on mine is £140 at BMW. Ive just had a new full set of tyres and the OEM ones came in at £752 compared to the £650 a set on my zed cost, so similar again there. Insurance for me is less than half what my zed was costing and road tax has dropped from £500 down to £115.

I did consider the 335d when I was looking, but the fuel economy & performance compared to the 123d coupe didnt warrant the extra cost, plus I found I prefered the size of the 123d coupe compared to the 335d. Maybe if I needed more space then id consider it. Remapping them is pretty fun. The 123d for example, a "conservative" remap will give you 270bhp and 400ft/lb torque. Out of the box, the standard car does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and in gear acceleration is awesome - twice as quick as some sports cars even - so you can imagine what remapping does. Mines still under BMW warranty so i havent ventured into that area yet, but might well do at some point.

£140 service at a main BMW dealer...are you sure they acutally did any work on the car. Last time I checked (3 months ago) my BMW dealer was charging £140+vat/hr just for labour :p

Not that I would take my car any where near a main BMW dealer for any kind of work, wouldn't trust them to change the air filter let alone work on the engine...Luckly Mitz/Andy at CS are just as good working on the 335 as a Z :D

Edited by gangzoom

£140 service at a main BMW dealer...are you sure they acutally did any work on the car. Last time I checked (3 months ago) my BMW dealer was charging £140+vat/hr just for labour :p

Not that I would take my car any where near a main BMW dealer for any kind of work, wouldn't trust them to change the air filter let alone work on the engine...Luckly Mitz/Andy at CS are just as good working on the 335 as a Z :D

I agree, I wouldnt trust any main dealer as far as i can throw them. When I took my Nissan 350z to Nissan for a belt change they took an hour and stung me £90. Next time the belt went, I did it myself, the belt cost £14 and it took me 15 minutes to do.

The only reason I went to the main dealer is that the car was only a year old and thus under warranty. It was a minor service, so just oil / filter / pollen filter & quick inspection. Id expect that to be maybe just 15minutes work for them, so £140 wasnt bad. Once the cars out of warranty i`ll be doing all the work on it myself as usual, so id expect the actual servicing costs to be minimal. When I used to give my golf TDI a full major service it was £50 just for parts (oil, diesel filter, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter etc etc) and used to take me 17 minutes exactly! :thumbs: