Burning Smell Everytime: Help Needed!

Darren350

Hey guys,

Recently after a spirited jaunt in the 350 I noticed a burning smell coming from the drivers side somewhere.

I thought it was the tyre but it isn't as I can drive 2 minutes slowly down the road and when I park up and get out the burning smell is still there. It seems when I drive the car faster the smell gets worse. I'm thinking clutch?

The smell occurs every time I drive the car now. My next test will be to start the car and leave it running on the drive for 20 minutes to see if the smell happens even when the car isn't moving. That should narrow it down a bit more, right?

The car has 117,000 with no evidence of clutch change so I allowed for this when buying the car. But I wanna know for definite. The clutch doesn't seem to slip though which is the odd thing.

Looking underneath the car everything seems okay, nothing trapped etc...

Advice and help appreciated thanks guys!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If I had a burning smell, I would take the fire extinguisher with me and drive slowly to see

Ross at Japex, Maybe its just me but last time I had a burning smell

the burning smell turned into flames and that was the end of my 911... :scare: :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

Leaking Cam cover drivers side - had one last week - lovely burning oil smell when running it drips nicely onto the zorst manifold and fries up a treat ;)

where my money would be

Same, I had the same smell when my oil filler cap was broken, actually smelt like burning rubber/plastic rather than burning oil and it took about 2 weeks to clear the smell even after the issue was rectified.

Possible the brake is dragging slightly. This happens a lot on the mx5s. Drive it with very little braking and see if one wheel is hotter that the other.

My wife kept moaning about a burning smell from her Celica, i took it out for a spirited drive and when i got it back one of the wheels was hot. A dead give away, sticking brake caliper. But as Keyser say's let it run it stationary that will rule out brakes :thumbs:

Thanks guys. I'm off tomorrow and have a few errands to run so will start the car a good 20 mins or so before I leave and have a sniff lol.

Ebized yeah its the same issue. What I thought was tyre wear was actually gravel off the drive where I had just parked. But it could possibly still be brake related which is why I can smell it from that area.

Will test tomorrow though. Assuming if I can smell it whilst it's stationary it's a leak of some sort. If I can't then it might be a brake problem or clutch problem etc.

Investigation time is over, lol. Left the car running for about 30 minutes from cold this morning and sure enough the smell was there. Quite powerful stink too!

That rules out the clutch thankfully, also those calipers look expensive so I'm glad they are okay.

What we guessing then guys, oil leak on drivers side cam cover leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold?

I am about as mechanically minded as an orangutan so can't do nowt. Also the car is too low to view the entire exhaust system to see if a bag etc is trapped.

Guess it's a trip to a local indy with a ramp then!