Burning Smell Everytime: Help Needed!

Darren350

Yep - get it on a ramp and have a good look underneath - also worth looking to see if/where smoke is rising - if your lucky it will be a carrier bag wrapped round the CAT - they stink! - if not a good look generally and maybe remove the plenum and check underneath that, also pull the coil packs see if any oil is showing up :)

I almost guarantee its oil.

When mine did the same, as I say I swear 100% it smelt like burning rubber/plastic and not oil, but it was bubbling out from the damaged filler cap, underneath the engine cover and dripping slowly onto the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.

I found out which side it was from by jacking the car up high, securing with axle stands and shining a torch upwards from the foot well area (you can see the engine from here and you don't have to remove the under-tray) and just looked for anything shiny.

If its the rocker cover leaking I don't know what work is involved. I know its one thing if it leaks into the spark plug hole and another if it leaks into the engine. Coincidentally, I also have this issue (leaking into the spark plug hole) yet I don't get a funny smell, I just notice oil missing every now and then.

CS2000, how can it leak from the filler cap if I can't see any oil leaks coming from it? Also I cannot remove the filler cap at all? Try as I might she just aint budging. Could this be connected?

My mechanic chap can take apart rocker covers etc and have a good nosey tomorrow.

What's the worst case scenario as with my luck it's that lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Guys,

Despite my embarrassment I shall tell you the outcome:

Plastic bag on Y Pipe.

OOPS! Thought I checked properly but obviously didn't.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I shall now hide under a rock lol

Result!! I once hit road kill in my zed. It smelled of bad BBQ for weeks.