A drop of oil

KODC0107_zpsdb7f5a88.jpg

Clean the old gaskets off

KODC0105_zpsffc03a8f.jpg

Bolt up one side

KODC0110_zpsb40a3153.jpg

Then the other

KODC0111_zps3bbb489c.jpg

Don't forget the O seals or you will have problems!!

KODC0106_zps13b6aae3.jpg

Let the apprentices tighten it all up

KODC0109_zpsd678200d.jpg

Cam sprockets on and aligned

KODC0112_zps6ebf71b6.jpg

Primary chain on and tensioned

KODC0115_zps2fbc7f8b.jpg

Special tool for holding the tensioner in while you put the chains in

KODC0114_zps49e0c254.jpg

Yes a bent paper clip :)

Crank aligned at TDC

KODC0119_zps4d37081a.jpg

Secondary chains on the mark

KODC0117_zpsf674a0ea.jpg

Primary chain on the mark

KODC0116_zpsef824df8.jpg

Crank marker lined up to primary chain

KODC0118_zps1ab282a9.jpg

Cleaning old gasket off again

KODC0120_zpsf2d4ad3f.jpg

KODC0122_zps282f6b8a.jpg

Then Matt getting some wrench time in on all the Cam chain cover bolts

KODC0121_zps3bd8405b.jpg

Twice as I forgot to put RTV on the 3 big bolt holes :doh:

Cam covers back on

KODC0123_zps516734ff.jpg

Sump back on

KODC0125_zpsccda9c91.jpg

Starting to look like an engine again :thumbs:

KODC0124_zps5747c3dc.jpg

Ancils, pulleys and pipes back on tomorrow and we are ready to swap it out.

I'll keep you updated :)

• Like 5

Good stuff - from the look of this, it looks like I was a little too mean with the rtv (following the manual) when I put mine back together after swapping the exhaust cam - probly why I have a leak now!!!

Having seen the engine gasket kit I bought, you made quick work of putting it all back together!

I knew we forgot something :doh::lol:

Not many gaskets in yet, a lot go on the outside where all the pipes etc join the block.

We have put in 2 new head gaskets and one of the Cam cover gaskets was not correctly fitted the first time and got damaged so that has been replaced.

Sump is RTV as is the Cam chain cover :)

Good stuff - from the look of this, it looks like I was a little too mean with the rtv (following the manual) when I put mine back together after swapping the exhaust cam - probly why I have a leak now!!!

I may use to much :blush:

I prefer to have a bit extra let it squeeze out and then when dry run a scraper blade along the seam to clean it up. Had no leaks on the last engine I did though :thumbs:

Only 2 things to be careful of is too much on the inside of the engine, it can block oil ways or peal of and gets into the oil pickup pipe and clean the bolt holes before you try and tighten them in. If you get a load in the hole it can snap the bolt before tight or even brake the back of the casting! :scare:

Having seen the engine gasket kit I bought, you made quick work of putting it all back together!

I knew we forgot something :doh::lol:

Not many gaskets in yet, a lot go on the outside where all the pipes etc join the block.

We have put in 2 new head gaskets and one of the Cam cover gaskets was not correctly fitted the first time and got damaged so that has been replaced.

Sump is RTV as is the Cam chain cover :)

I may use to much :blush:

I prefer to have a bit extra let it squeeze out and then when dry run a scraper blade along the seam to clean it up. Had no leaks on the last engine I did though :thumbs:

Only 2 things to be careful of is too much on the inside of the engine, it can block oil ways or peal of and gets into the oil pickup pipe and clean the bolt holes before you try and tighten them in. If you get a load in the hole it can snap the bolt before tight or even brake the back of the casting! :scare:

Yeah i was worried about putting too much on - funny thing is it only seems to leak, and just a little drip, when the motor is killed. It emerges between the back of the timing case and the vvt block on the LH bank.

Good tip about old sealant in the holes!

Wow can't believe how quick your getting this rebuilt! Fuelled by coffee and doughnuts I'm sure! ;) looking forward to seeing the swap out pics! you are true friends, I'm sure Matt would be up sh1t creek without you guys helping him out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do the pathfinder cooling mod to yours Keyser? Do you struggle with high temps at all?

No mate,

I have the mishimoto standard replacement rad (the do a deeper one but if makes it tight for the SC pipes) I also have the mishimoto fans and shroud.

I also have an oil cooler and for normal driving even "spirited" no problems at all.

I did manage to get the oil very hot at castle coombe last year playing with a GTR, it was a really hot day one and I did have to do a couple of cool down laps during the session to manage it. Engine temp was still good though. I am upgrading to twin oil coolers soon so it hopefully won't be an issue after that.

The only person I know with engine temp problems is Andlid his TT was getting very hot I think he got it under control with an oversized rad and a few other mods, he was talking about the pathfinder mod but I don't know if he actually did it.

He does show up from time to time so drop him a PM or I have contact with outside the forum if you can't get in touch :)

EDIT: I do suffer from high inlet temps but that is a different issue I got the AEM water/meth injection kit and that keeps things sorted in that department.

Edited by Keyser

Mad day at the Zed Shed today - SteveM was in da house - more on that in another thread soon (I Hope)

As promised last bits and bobs on today -

Knock sensor (don't forget it -PITA if you do

KODC0133_zps437fa6bc.jpg

Some Gaskets (for evilscorp)

KODC0134_zps3faa1281.jpg

followed by an inlet

KODC0135_zps60621915.jpg

VVT's

KODC0132_zps47ba301c.jpg

Zorst stud snapped

KODC0144_zpse4740bea.jpg

Drilled

KODC0145_zps29cbf05a.jpg

Gone

KODC0146_zpsa897082e.jpg

AC Compressor

KODC0139_zps78e74f52.jpg

Power steering Pump

KODC0136_zps13cb2a5d.jpg

Alternator

KODC0140_zpsdad74e9a.jpg

Engine mounts going on and idler pulley fitted

KODC0147_zps67fc1549.jpg

Nearly there

KODC0148_zpsee68fc86.jpg

Last bit

KODC0149_zpscc6b7455.jpg

Ready to go

KODC0151_zps60664652.jpg

KODC0150_zps824745df.jpg

Bits not fitted

KODC0156_zps7dd7691f.jpg

Fuel rail - It has one damaged injector and the 'O' rings look like they are starting to perish on 2 of the injectors so I'll swap the rails out.

Aux belt tensioner - The bearing has gone and it sounds terrible - will swap it out.

Left overs

KODC0153_zps384372c5.jpg

To be fair we found this plenum bolt and 'O' ring under the lower inlet - someone dropped them and could not get them out - may put them back in just for the rattle :)

That's it engine is ready, just need a Zed to put it in and see if it works.

Hmmmm who do I know that lives near by and needs an engine for a Zed????

No can't think of anyone off hand, leave it with me I'm sure something will come up local soon :)

Be Good, Drive Safe and thanks for reading :wave:

• Like 3

Great work guys.

Would it be a major job to build some sort of test bed to put it on and run it up to temperature? ECU, fuel pump, rad, exhaust etc.

Don't know if it achieves anything, I just like the idea of testing an engine out of the car. ;)

Great work guys.

Would it be a major job to build some sort of test bed to put it on and run it up to temperature? ECU, fuel pump, rad, exhaust etc.

Don't know if it achieves anything, I just like the idea of testing an engine out of the car. ;)

It's is possible but it would be a lot of work and where would I keep :lol:

No can't think of anyone off hand, leave it with me I'm sure something will come up local soon :)

Well...that's not very nice to hope that someone blows their engine up soon, is it? :lol::stir:

• Like 1

Aha! the left over bits pic ;) I was most upset you seemed to use all the bits.... Goes to show Bob and I were busy as I didn't notice any of that going on and I was only feet away!

Good job too - turn your eyes away for a few minutes and half your car would be on Bobs :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

My 2004 Z is using a fair bit of oil and Scott at Abbey reckons it needs an engine rebuild to solve the problem - trouble is I can't afford to pay him to do it +VAT and I haven't got the skills/facilites myself.

Is there anyone out there who can recommend someone, or advise me what to do next?

Grateful for any help.

Hi All,

My 2004 Z is using a fair bit of oil and Scott at Abbey reckons it needs an engine rebuild to solve the problem - trouble is I can't afford to pay him to do it +VAT and I haven't got the skills/facilites myself.

Is there anyone out there who can recommend someone, or advise me what to do next?

Grateful for any help.

Is it worth sourcing a 2nd hand engine? Don't know what they have quoted but I would think anyone that rebuilds an engine would want similar money but worth calling around some companies for the best quote. Then compare it to a price on a low mileage replacement.

How many miles has yours done?