RX8

Ekona

Mate bought one today. 231ps version, 2005, sub-£3K. Threw me the keys and let me go play.

Absolutely superb car! Wonderful chassis that allows you to play happily, supple suspension that's clearly tuned for comfort but that's okay as it's just stiff enough to be fun, and that engine... Comically smooth, no lugging at low revs in high gears, and it sounds like a jet fighter when you get on full chat. Not horrendously fast, but more than quick enough for the roads. Like the Zed, really.

Seats are super-comfy whilst offering enough support, rear seats are easy usable for grown-ups, and the boot is much bigger than you think. And those suicide doors, never get any less cool. They more than make up for 20mpg and a thirst for oil.

I think I want one. Scratch that, I know I do.

• Like 1

Finally!

Someone see's what I've been ranting about all this time!

I owned mine for 4 years from new, and it never missed a beat in 45,000 miles.

If you have any questions Dan ask me or George. We both pretty much wrote the ownership book on the ownersclub!

Really?! Mate, I never knew that!

So if I ask if the extra bottle mod for adding oil to the tips for lubrication instead of using the sump is a must-do mod, would you agree? Also, what's the 'best' iPod connection device to use?

The extra oil bottle came in after I sold up in 2008. So I wouldn't like to comment as anything I say wouldn't be with the benefit of experience.

Denison ice link is a common choice for ipod

I'm trying for the life of me to remember the set up I had. It involved dropping the HU out and fitting in a connector block in what on the OEM set up was the connection of a midi-disc player. And then running the cable through to the armrest cubby.

I was so close to getting one before the Zed, had the cash ready but got scared off by mates. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I made the wrong choice as I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the lazy, shiftless, on-demand torque of the Zed, (not available in the RX8 I believe Dan?), but I really enjoy the styling (doors) on them.

I think it's a good job I got scared before I test drove it from your review above. :lol:

What was the interior like? Bit shiny? Could the rear take two humans, or is it hobbit space only?

@Stu: Zero torque, but loads of power so you never notice it. Keep it above 4k rpm and it's a hoot! Rear seats are proper usable too, much better than you'd expect and I was perfectly comfortable in them. Interior is sh*t in terms of quality of the plastics but it's a wonderful design so you never really notice.

@Lexx: Oh my, that is lovely :cloud9:

Utterly ridiculous how cheap these cars are now.

I didnt like mine but then I also treated it like @*!# and it was one of the really early ones.

Reliability was a pain in the arse. Also if i didnt drive it for more than 2 days it has to be bump started........which lexx told me many years later was about as damaging of a thing as I could have done.

Almost fancy trying another one at these prices.

Lots of problems reared their heads now but very well documented and fairly easy to spot I think (had a big read up last month)

My boy had a rx7 big single turbo 450 bhp awesome

Unfortunately it is impossible to compare the RX7 to the RX8. Literally the only thing they have in common is that they are rotary powered and made by Mazda

out of interest my other choices at the moment have been

ep3 type R

merc clk diesel 2.7 or 3 litre

old audi S3 or S4

Audi A8 3 l V6 Diesel

possibly bmw 3 or 5 series early 200o's reg either a 330ci or 530, been put off by reliability of the diesels and after 10 years most bmws seems to gain lots of expensive repairs.

Uneconomical? Yeah, not great on mpg. Only 3mpg worse that a Zed, though.

Burns oil? It's by design, it keeps the rotor tips oiled from the sump oil. Fit a second bottle full of oil to pump in and you'll never burn the sump oil again,

Always go bang? Nope. They do need a rebuild from time to time, but again that's by design.

In return, you get a beautifully smooth engine that never lugs, revs to high heaven and sounds very unique, whilst contributing a low CofG allowing the handling to be sublime.