Z TO Scirocco R

BLINDS122000

Hi all

Think ive got to the point where im thinking of changing to a more practical car

to which my girlfriend can drive as she can only drives auto's

The only car that really catches my eye is the VW Scirocco R with DSG.

In terms of performance do you the think the R would match the HR Z?

or anybody with experience of changing to the the R?

Cheers

Alex

Pretty good cars. Turbocharged 4 cylinder engine producing 260bhp, which will remap very well if you want. It will be a very different power delivery to the Z and stock it won't match the HR Z for performance. It won't be as involved as the Z, there's only so much fun you can have in a FWD auto hatchback and they struggle to keep the power down once you start remapping.

Edited by Jp606

cheers for the replies guys

i think the R is the only car i would swap the zed with really, not a fan of

any of the other hot hatches or most other cars lol

Mind you the price of the R's are quite high and for another couple of grand

i could wait and get a TTRS which is another car i would love to own even

tho thats a completely league of car

Maybe the word 'practical' is not quite the word i mean.

What i would like is another car that would be cheaper to run than the Zed

but still have the same amount of performance or more and possibly be

an auto (DSG / Stronic) so my girlfriend can drive it.

Like i say im pretty fussy when it comes down to cars and really the VW R and

possibly TTS / TTRS would be the only choices i would be happy with.

I think test drives would be a good next step...

I looked at the Scirocco R as a Z replacement a few years ago, couldn't get too excited about it in the end. Not that practical or quick, and pretty expensive to buy. A Golf R is more practical and just as quick but neither are upgrades from the Z.

For fast practical autos your choices are pretty limited to Bimmers, Audis, Mercs :( Though the new Lexus IS 350 is suppose to be a M3 rival, but it's not exactly cheap.

I had the 1.4 turbo supercharged Scirocco a few years back, lovely car inside, the boot size is pretty good but it has a narrow aperture to restricted by the actual physical size of stuff but it will still carry a fair bit. Back seats are very comfy and loads of room in the back for two adults which gives it that practical edge over any two seater of course.

Driving position was really nice, interior high quality and the little 1.4 I had was the 180bhp version and was pretty rapid!

Very good cars...

Remapped TTRS is bordering on GT-R fast, especially with the DSG. That's where money would go if you're looking at them along with the Scirocco R.

Wow. I used to think tt's where pretty slow. The new one must be pretty good. I take it has 4wd?

Yeh i think the TTRS is a winner specially with the S tronic box, there's people running stage 1 remaps doing 0-60 in 3.1

and 0-100 in the 7's which is pretty impressive. Not to mention that amazing 5 cylinder sound!

just for those that haven't seen this vid

Do abit of research on the auto boxes I have a dsg A3 and it's on 145K I've had no problems with it but I know some other vw group cars had problems with the dsg boxes and I think the sciroco was one of them just a heads up.

A remapped one will be damn as near quick as one, and with a MUCH better interior too. MrD from Seloc/PH ran one at a few VMax days, that thing was bastard quick.

Not massively exciting in the twisties mind you, but then neither is a Scirocco. That's not to say either isn't extremely competent, though.

You cannot be serious...

Yup, I'd take a TTRS over a Scirocco R, even if it meant saving up an extra bit of cash.

Me too, but its not a patch on the GTR, not by a long way..

Really?

And that's 'only' a stage 1 remap! Then you can go onto stage 2, loba hybrid and then APR stage 3!

Edited by Davectr

Found these on youtube, had seen em previously before I thought about going up to Crail. A TTRS isn't hugely powerful either in standard trim, isn't it like 340 odds? I think theres a plus model too with more power. Apparently this ones 425.. look fast!

You cannot compare modified to stock... Cannot the GTR hit 600-700+ BHP modified?? Even my 335 can be tuned to 600+ BHP via hybrid turbos, that doesn't make it better than a stock 911 turbo etc.

If you want a true comparison compare modified with modified.

Edited by gangzoom