Does my car 'need' a strut brace

Spatt

Right, simple question to settle a dispute. Will the nissan 350z be fine without a strut brace. will not break the car during normal use?

the car wont break?

Fall to peices?

Explode?

Its there purely for improved handling?

Matt

The chassis is set up to run with it.

The whole suspension geometry would be shot to hell without it.

In short, yes you could drive without it.

But the car would handle like a dog in corners.

Whether you would notice that in everyday driving is another matter.

To be fair, given that not every car has one can lead to this question. If a chassis is designed without one then it may not need or benefit from one (the Elise is a good example, as is the 911), if a car was designed with one in mind then removing it can cause some horrendous handling side effects. If a car did not have one by design but does not have the chassis strength to not need one at all, then there is pretty much no downside to fitting one as the extra weight is nothing compared to the stiffening benefits.

• Like 1

I dont want to take it off.. I was having a 'heated debate' with family and friends which turned into a shouting match hehe.

I've bought an aftermarket strut brace and they said quote "f&$@*g around with your car" is dangerous nissan fitted 'that' bar for a reason..

I was trying to convey that even if the bar wasn't there it would still be fine.. I think they're concerned I wont have fitted it properly or its there to stop the engine escaping if I crash or some wild crazy stuff like that haha. ..

so my new bar is lovely but it's aluminum and there saying its not as strong. . Could twist bend or crack etc etc.. it was not a fun discussion. . I made the point that the new bar is a lot thicker but they're still not having it

anyways, the damn things staying either way so nerh :p haha

sorry for the confusion by the way

I was driving without the strut bar for a few days after the spark plugs change last week and I didn't notice any difference, even when drifting a few corners. Maybe because I wasn't paying attention to that, would be interesting to try again and focus on chassis flexing and responsiveness..

What aftermarket stru bar do you have ?. As per a previous reply there are loads of us running with aftermarket struts. I have been running with a CUSCO one for the last year or so and its absolutely fine.

Payco

Pretty sure they make aircraft structures out of aluminium, as for handling some flex in a cars chassis, I am sure it will cope fine. Even if on the one in a billion chance it does crack, what exactly will happen? Not a lot apart from some doggy handling.

Stick it on and be done with it!

i have no experience with a 350 but with my old BMW Z3 the brace mad a massive difference. I didnt notice when i fitted it (came without one OEM) but when i took it off it was very noticable.

Z3s where bad for that. Common kids are front strut and "butt" strut.

Of course it doesn't need one! NIssan fitted it for fun :wacko: As Lexx has already said plenty of folk run aftermarket ones with no issues but anyone who goes throwing it around corners / drifting / tracking without the appropriate bracing is an eejit IMO :shrug: