Arrghh it's happening again!

nowhereboy

As some of you know about 2 month ago I started toying with the idea of selling the Z, I actually put it for sale on here but ended up getting cold feet and decided to keep it. At first I was really glad and wondered "what was I thinking?" but the thoughts of changing are starting to creep back again.

My main gripe with the 350Z is how expensive it is to run, I just feel like for the performance it delivers the cost is very high. I keep comparing it to my old civic which I'm confident was a faster car, it cost half the price to insure, tax was way cheaper along with insurance and general running costs.

I've been looking over my bank statements and the amount of money I'm spending on fuel each month is mental, I'm still under 30 and I'm starting to think maybe I should stop spunking all my money on cars and try to save a little cash up and be sensible? If not I might as well buy something properly mental and at least justify the running costs.

I dunno what it is man, I just keep falling in and out of love with this car :surrender:

• Like 1

My main gripe with the 350Z is how expensive it is to run, I just feel like for the performance it delivers the cost is very high. I keep comparing it to my old civic which I'm confident was a faster car, it cost half the price to insure, tax was way cheaper along with insurance and general running costs.

The 350z is. Thats the cost. Just sell it I wouldn't bother with spending more on it.

how much power was your old civic putting out? Have you had your zed dyno'd to see if you bought a dog of a car?

My mates civic type r is nowhere near as close to my car in terms of performance.

You may have a duff car. You may just be used to hitting v-tec and getting a boost and not actually looking at how fast your zed is going. These cars generally do not feel fast but they're pretty quick.

It's all about your set of mind. I never have a problem watching he fuel needle go down. The faster it does the more fun I'm having. I bought mine because I wanted a drivers cars. My passat did a whopping 72.8 mpg from Weston super mare to Amsterdam at one point. But I would never look back at it walking away from a partings space. Anyone with me on this?

• Like 4

It's probably because the middle eight, which appears three times, seesaws on a G# minor/A major sequence before falling back on an F# minor and leading back to the verse on a B7

Wtf?? :lol: You high? literally don't know what to make of that ATTAK Z. :wacko::lol:

@ OP ~ I had a Civic Type R before the Zed. The 350 is definitely quicker and a much nicer car too imo. ;)

• Like 1

Wtf?? :lol: You high? literally don't know what to make of that ATTAK Z. :wacko::lol:

Nowhere man ? - music ? - check it out on Google

ETA

Some people got it (the OP) but I'm looking for approval from NeilP whose opinion I value

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

I agree Hamlin and admittedly I'm forever looking over my shoulder when walking away to check the Z out, it's a beautiful car. I didn't buy it to be economical either, I bought it to be a "drivers car" but I find it heavy and kinda boring, for the price Im paying in fuel I might as well have bought an evo or something.

My old civic was kpro'd, it had coilovers and half interiour, it was running around 240BHP, it was a much more entertaining drive but half the cost to run.

I don't think my Z is a duff, it's got low miles and full history, the power delivery is very linear tho. I realize I'm making it out like I dislike the car and thats really not the case, it's just not what I thought it was going to be thats all.

• Like 2

Ah man, the Z really is a beauty mind. I think I'm going to spend the weekend driving her and treating it to a good detail then go out and test drive a few other cars and see how I feel.

It's going to be very hard to walk away from the Z but if I keep having thoughts of selling it there must be some meaning behind them somewhere.

Im in the same situation mate. I seem to just be throwing money at this car constantly (although mines is repairs and not mpg since i dont drive it much).

The thing that keeps me to the zed is the car status, how i feel whilst driving it not looking at the fuel gauge, and just feels like the right car. Things that make me want to sell it are all the extras like, staring at fuel gauge, tax, tyres.... but, were not paying that much more on a zed compared to a normal sporty car like ST etc. Realistically, all cars in this price range and sporty cars are all the same to run. I do think these sort of cars you need to be having alot of spare cash, and unlike me, i dont have any spare cash. My sell or keep is if i get into the police. 1700 a month should be fine to live with the zed, what im on now of 1300 or less just cuts the line too fine.

Civic type r's are quick. But the 350z is a different class of car. 0-60 is about the same but it's after 60, the zed come in to its element.

However if you're not in love with the car, there's no point having it. Other option is to get a cheap daily. May make you appreciate it more when you do drive it :teeth:

I can understand where you're coming from nowhereboy. I'm also 25 and this is my first high performance car and although I've not owned the car for even a month, I did a rough calculation today and I've already spent close to £500 on a combination of fuel and buying small bits and pieces to mod the car. But for me, this car's been a dream for the past 8 years, and it's got a family history (Ajay Panchal, one of the designers of the car is my cousin) and I didn't think twice about how much it's going to cost me to run. Having said that, I've still kept my 1.4TDI VW Polo which is my everyday runner and the good thing is, because I don't drive the Z daily, I always look forward to the weekend to take her out because I know the drive is going to be worth the money I'm putting in the fuel tank. But like some of the guys on here have said, it's a personal choice and if it's simply not the car for you then you have to make the decision and not look back...good luck with whichever path you decide to go down! :thumbs:

I can understand where you're coming from nowhereboy. I'm also 25 and this is my first high performance car and although I've not owned the car for even a month, I did a rough calculation today and I've already spent close to £500 on a combination of fuel and buying small bits and pieces to mod the car. But for me, this car's been a dream for the past 8 years, and it's got a family history (Ajay Panchal, one of the designers of the car is my cousin) and I didn't think twice about how much it's going to cost me to run. Having said that, I've still kept my 1.4TDI VW Polo which is my everyday runner and the good thing is, because I don't drive the Z daily, I always look forward to the weekend to take her out because I know the drive is going to be worth the money I'm putting in the fuel tank. But like some of the guys on here have said, it's a personal choice and if it's simply not the car for you then you have to make the decision and not look back...good luck with whichever path you decide to go down! :thumbs:

So heres a question. Because of the cost of the zed, it costs too much to drive from my house to sainsburies on a boring drive, i would personally rather drive it when i want some fun. Are you actually saving money by having a second car? I was looking at getting a cheap run around, but their still a fair few grand for a decent mpg run around. And then theres still the tax, tyres and servicing. Is it really worth it?

So heres a question. Because of the cost of the zed, it costs too much to drive from my house to sainsburies on a boring drive, i would personally rather drive it when i want some fun. Are you actually saving money by having a second car? I was looking at getting a cheap run around, but their still a fair few grand for a decent mpg run around. And then theres still the tax, tyres and servicing. Is it really worth it?

Well I've owned my polo for a few years and it still averages around 50mpg even for local runs and up to 60mpg on motorway. Tax is £120 a year, service is about £110 a year and I hardly go through tyres, and when I do need it changed I get part-worn for £25 a wheel. A full tank is about £50-55 and it gives me around 450-500 miles on a full tank. Also with my line of work I can claim back my fuel expenses too which helps. If you can pick up a similar car for around £2-3k it may be worth it if you don't want to lose your Z :)

Well I've owned my polo for a few years and it still averages around 50mpg even for local runs and up to 60mpg on motorway. Tax is £120 a year, service is about £110 a year and I hardly go through tyres, and when I do need it changed I get part-worn for £25 a wheel. A full tank is about £50-55 and it gives me around 450-500 miles on a full tank. Also with my line of work I can claim back my fuel expenses too which helps. If you can pick up a similar car for around £2-3k it may be worth it if you don't want to lose your Z :)

Theres an option for myself and the OP. It is just buying that second car and running it. I always think it wont work out any cheaper when your having to pay off a second car, when you have one that works sitting in the drive. I guess id stop looking at the mpg, just top it up once and month and actually "drive" the car, rather than stare at the fuel gauge, mpg reading, and wonder why im driving a 3.5litre so gently.

Its just picking up the diesel keys instead of the zed :lol:

I guess another way to keep the zed is getting a bike. If its just an a-b work thing, bikes a possibility? as in motorbike? £600 course and looking at £1k for a decent one?

Im in the same situation mate. I seem to just be throwing money at this car constantly (although mines is repairs and not mpg since i dont drive it much).

The thing that keeps me to the zed is the car status, how i feel whilst driving it not looking at the fuel gauge, and just feels like the right car. Things that make me want to sell it are all the extras like, staring at fuel gauge, tax, tyres.... but, were not paying that much more on a zed compared to a normal sporty car like ST etc. Realistically, all cars in this price range and sporty cars are all the same to run. I do think these sort of cars you need to be having alot of spare cash, and unlike me, i dont have any spare cash. My sell or keep is if i get into the police. 1700 a month should be fine to live with the zed, what im on now of 1300 or less just cuts the line too fine.

Yea man, ultimately this comes down to money for me too. I can afford the Z but at the same time I don't earn enough to the point of the constant petrol station trips not being noticeable. It would be worth it if I absolutely loved the car but I just don't, something is missing. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford coilovers, exhaust, rota's and an uprev the car would be a lot more to my taste but the reality is I can't at the minute and it's just not feeling worth it.

The thing I'd miss most is the status thing too, I love the presence the Z has on the roads, the looks it gets and how rare it is, it's just a shame in standard form the performance doesn't really live up to expectations.

• Like 2

Theres an option for myself and the OP. It is just buying that second car and running it. I always think it wont work out any cheaper when your having to pay off a second car, when you have one that works sitting in the drive. I guess id stop looking at the mpg, just top it up once and month and actually "drive" the car, rather than stare at the fuel gauge, mpg reading, and wonder why im driving a 3.5litre so gently.

Its just picking up the diesel keys instead of the zed :lol:

I guess another way to keep the zed is getting a bike. If its just an a-b work thing, bikes a possibility? as in motorbike? £600 course and looking at £1k for a decent one?

That's exactly how I feel when picking up my polo keys when going to work :lol: but this way I know when I take the Z out I'll be driving it like its meant to be driven and not worry about the fuel gauge. I'm estimating a full tank or so a month with the Z so about £100 a month on fuel plus any mods I do whenever I feel impulsive :p

Bike is also an option as it'll be cheaper too and be thrilling in it's own way!

@nowhereboy To be fair, I couldn't get rid of the zed to buy another sports car. If i was going to get rid, it would have to be for a completely different car. Either Audi a5 Diesel or Just a cheap run around that i can kick each time i get near it. Getting another sports car, which you didnt prefer over the zed, for the sake of maybe £50 a month wouldnt be worth it. I.e. i looked at imprezas, but the mpg is basically the same, especially worse on motorways with the turbo going full pelt. And everything generally adds up to "near" the same, but u dont have the car you liked, or the status of a coupe, or the nicer interior etc.

What I've found is, i expected too much from the zed because it doesnt have a turbo, so it doesnt feel as fast as it is. But once your on the motorway, or atleast 50mph, theres very rarely any car that can touch a zed.

So Unless there is a car you think "damn i wish i had that instead of the zed, because that looks great and love to drive it", i.e a sportier greater sports car in your range, that IS better, or, a generally nice car which youve always wanted and could be diesel or just 5seats, i wouldnt get rid of the zed. My next step is to simply swap it for my family car for the future, or get a rust bucket til i decide what i want.

@Chirag I guess the issue is, with the Zed, when im driving parents car and theres some chavvy guys trying to race me in my parents diesel, i always think "damn should have used the zed", even if i were to fill up the zed, and once the fuel light turns on, i dont drive til next month? All depends on if you drive to work, financial situation etc. I'll be on £400 more if i get police, but will be looking at renting house with mate. But, wont need to drive London-Scotland so save £250 every 2months. If your on the 18k-24k a year, its probably down to preference. Do you get a second car, or do you settle for the zed alone and just cut out drinking and fast food. Those on like £45-£50k a year are the ones turbo and supercharging their car. Money is still an issue.

All in all. I want to look better than how i am. A zed makes me look like ive achieved something in my life. I would rather have a sports car and drink indoors, than have a lesser car and blow my money on drinking in clubs.

Sounds like head ruling heart. You love the look etc but your heads telling you to be more sensible. I went through this for a few years. I really wanted an RS4 avant but my head was saying don't be a fool it'll cost too much to run etc. Reality was it was affordable but I didn't buy one in the end. I've learnt a lot from that, that's why I bought the zed. You only live once and all that good stuff. I still have a craving for an RS4 and may still buy one one day. Do I feel I am better off financially for not buying it? Nope, not one bit! If you don't gel with the car for any other reasons than financial ones then sell up & move on but if its affordable and you like it then why not stick an exhaust on her & make the most of that lovely V6 ;)