Advantages to a JDM import

Kerry

Hi guys wanted to know if there are any advantages to owning a JDM import over a uk car other than price. I've heard the JDM cars come with a better diff and more power but didn't know if this was correct?

From what I've read it is more advantageous to have a UK Zed over a JDM Zed. Especially the GT model.

It's different though I know for the older Subaru Impreza's. eg 1996 UK Subaru Impreza WRX was around 220bhp I believe but a 1996 JDM Subaru Impreza WRX was around 276bhp so the better option as far as power is concerned. ;)

Oh no, here we go again :(

Imports do not cost more on insurance or should i say, not in a lot of cases, all depends which company you go to :)

Pick the right JDM and there is no discernible difference apart from perhaps leather and cruise control, but even some jdm's have them.

Imho as long as you get a jdm with Brembos that is all that would bother me. Plus you get some benefits the UK cars dont have as Billyzed mentions + i have heard the jdm's have firmer dampening on the suspension although i have not had this is not confirmed ;)

Much less rust! Tilted mirrors that fold when locked and much better number plate shape which makes the rear bumper look class

I think rust is probably the main advantage depending on when it was imported obviously. That being said imports would need an underseal when it hits uk shores given the amount of salt on our roads. I put mine away during winter months or at least on first sight of a gritter which was last month round our way!

From what I've read it is more advantageous to have a UK Zed over a JDM Zed. Especially the GT model.

Right, so what benefits does a UK GT owner have over my JDM GT? Other than that he paid more?

It's different though I know for the older Subaru Impreza's. eg 1996 UK Subaru Impreza WRX was around 220bhp I believe but a 1996 JDM Subaru Impreza WRX was around 276bhp so the better option as far as power is concerned. ;)

Great. The JDM S2000 has more power than the UK version, that has about as much to do with the Z33 as an 18 year old Scoob does.

When you import a zed it gets put in the higher tax band so when it should be about £280 a year it will be nearer £400 a year I believe and I also think the JDM ones have a smaller battery

this also depends when the car was imported mine was imported in 2006 and is in the lower brackets

When you import a zed it gets put in the higher tax band so when it should be about £280 a year it will be nearer £400 a year I believe and I also think the JDM ones have a smaller battery

Yes to the battery. No for the tax.

Think it will if imported after 2006 unless something changed?