Overheat problem on Track Day....

andygore

I had a trackday booked for my zed last friday and came across a strange issue with my brembo calipers after the day.

Basically I did a track day not too long ago and had the following setup on the brakes:

Brembo calipers

Hel Braided Lines

RBF 600 brake fluid

black diamond disk

DS2500's

The day went great pads bit extremely well and i didnt have any issues with fade or overheating. The only issue was the pads were at the end of their life and needed replacing.

A set of yellow stuff pads came up for sale on the forum so I picked these up expecting them to be similar to the DS2500's, and to be fair they were not too bad. They bit well and at first did not seem to fade at all. I did a couple of laps and had no issues, I came into the pits to smoke pouring from the front calipers for a good 10-15 minutes. After they cooled down I checked the braking and it seem ok. The rest of the day went great I was blasting round the track without issue.

Then towards the end of the day I started getting huge brake fade I came in and noticed that my calipers had changed colour and the disks were glowing red. This put an end to my day as I had to drive home and didnt want to risk damaging the brakes.

If you take a look at the pictures below you can see a picture of the caliper when I fitted the disk to one taken on Sunday morning (2 days after the track day). The caliper is now Brown with black writing as apposed to gold with red writing.

Before Track Day:

photo1_zps649cb688.jpg

After Track Day:

photo2_zps30e38b54.jpg

Has anyone seen this before?

I have not yet took off the caliper to inspect the pistons and seals but im hoping it has not caused any damage in there!

I think from now on I will be sticking to DS2500's!

Yellow stuffs are fine on track. I use them with nos with no issues stopping on Knockhill for 10 laps at a time before a cool down.

That looks like the brakes have overheated, this would have happened regardless of pads. Ds250s aren't great to be honest. I don't know why they're so highly thought of on here. Prefer ebc blue stuff to them.

I use both yellows and blues with performance friction rotors and have no issues.

Were you doing cool down laps?

Another member on here had similar issues and it's because the brake runouts weren't correct and pads were making contact with the disc constantly generating too much heat.

Edited by Neilp
  • Like 1

This concerns me as I'm considering doing a couple of track days in the Zed. I think I have standard pads and EBC drilled/grooved discs so will do some research into pad replacement.

On other notes, quite like the new colour of the calipers :p hopefully they won't be damaged at all!

Those calipers are knackered. They change colour on purpose so you know you've overheated them: See Greekman's ones for further proof.

Well, they may not be completely shot, but I'd be stripping them down and replacing the seals and fluid at the very least. I'd also be changing pads definitely, and examining the condition of the discs closely. To do that takes a serious amount of heat, and considering how important the brakes are then you really don't want to take a chance.

Possibly a sticky caliper could have caused this (although on both sides is unlikely), and I'm assuming the discs are the right way round since you did a track day previously on them without issue.

• Like 3

Yellow stuffs are fine on track. I use them with nos with no issues stopping on Knockhill for 10 laps at a time before a cool down.

That looks like the brakes have overheated, this would have happened regardless of pads. Ds250s aren't great to be honest. I don't know why they're so highly thought of on here. Prefer ebc blue stuff to them.

I use both yellows and blues with performance friction rotors and have no issues.

Were you doing cool down laps?

Another member on here had similar issues and it's because the brake runouts weren't correct and pads were making contact with the disc constantly generating too much heat.

I was using DS2500 on a previous TD same setup same track even very similar laptimes. I dont think ill use yellow stuff again, aside from the overheating they faded after just 3 laps and the ferodos did not all day!

This concerns me as I'm considering doing a couple of track days in the Zed. I think I have standard pads and EBC drilled/grooved discs so will do some research into pad replacement.

On other notes, quite like the new colour of the calipers :p hopefully they won't be damaged at all!

If you like them you interested in swapping ;)

From reading the original post, I think there were no cool down laps.

So PEBWAS (as opposed to PEBKAC ;) )

Problem Exists Between Wheel And Seat

I did both warm up and warm down laps, Oulton Park is a bit circuit (over 2 miles) I was doing a lap warm up 3-4 hot laps then a lap warm down.

:scare: :scare: Wait so those pictures are serious? I thought you just showed two pictures of different colored calibers not, them changing because of the heat....or am I being stupid :surrender: :surrender:

Yup same caliper the only difference was 1 1/4 tanks of fuel and 127 miles of track time!

Those calipers are knackered. They change colour on purpose so you know you've overheated them: See Greekman's ones for further proof.

Well, they may not be completely shot, but I'd be stripping them down and replacing the seals and fluid at the very least. I'd also be changing pads definitely, and examining the condition of the discs closely. To do that takes a serious amount of heat, and considering how important the brakes are then you really don't want to take a chance.

Possibly a sticky caliper could have caused this (although on both sides is unlikely), and I'm assuming the discs are the right way round since you did a track day previously on them without issue.

I have a look at the wheel after then change, jacked the car up and spun the wheel, it didnt seem to be sticking or binding at all!

I am going to take the caliper apart when I have a minute because I suspect that the seals have gone. That will be a fun job re-building them. Do any sellers on the forum sell caliper re-build kits?

Edited by andygore

The fact they have overheated suggests to me the runouts aren't correct on the discs. Are you getting any vibration?

Nope no vibration, the drive home was down a motorway and I didnt have any issues with this drive, no vibration or fade. The disks don't seem to be warped at all.

The fact they have overheated suggests to me the runouts aren't correct on the discs. Are you getting any vibration?

Nope no vibration, the drive home was down a motorway and I didnt have any issues with this drive, no vibration or fade. The disks don't seem to be warped at all.

Great advert for Brembo Brakes that they still work after that thrashing..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the Greek's were a lovely Burgundy :lol: IIRC it was just a case of seals being replaced ...

I have castle combe book early next year, I will try and get them to change pink that day!!

Took the car out last night everything seems fine, no warping no loss of breaking. I cant see without taking them off but there is no leaking of fluid. I think at the weekend I will take off the calipers and look at changing the seals.

I have castle combe book early next year, I will try and get them to change pink that day!!

Took the car out last night everything seems fine, no warping no loss of breaking. I cant see without taking them off but there is no leaking of fluid. I think at the weekend I will take off the calipers and look at changing the seals.

I would definitely look at getting the seals done mate. At least give them a good inspection :thumbs:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk