Dealing with difficult colleagues

AliveBoy

Have to agree with the others. Depending on what sort ofperson sheis andif you think it would be effective ask to have a sensile professional discussin about the situation, it shows maturity.

If that doesnt get results keep a positive attitude and keep a documented record of all tasks you are responsible for, when you completed or handed over to others, any issues and when they were raised etc then you have the evidence to back up any potential issues that may come up in the future. She cant argue with facts and evidence.

• Like 1

Have to agree with the others. Depending on what sort ofperson sheis andif you think it would be effective ask to have a sensile professional discussin about the situation, it shows maturity.

If that doesnt get results keep a positive attitude and keep a documented record of all tasks you are responsible for, when you completed or handed over to others, any issues and when they were raised etc then you have the evidence to back up any potential issues that may come up in the future. She cant argue with facts and evidence.

What he said. Going on a 'work to rule' or doing anything else that is likely to annoy her will just make things worse. Step 1 - Talk to her - Step 2 - Keep an audit trail just in case things don't get better.

Good luck getting it sorted :)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

What he said. Going on a 'work to rule' or doing anything else that is likely to annoy her will just make things worse. Step 1 - Talk to her - Step 2 - Keep an audit trail just in case things don't get better.

Good luck getting it sorted :)

Step 3 infiltrate handbag and replace vagiclean with veet

• Like 1

My old man was a military man, and one of the things he told me that's stuck with me to this day is if you have a more senior member of your team who is a bit of a Muppet, it is important to remember to respect the rank even if you don't respect the person. So you do your job properly, cover your own arse, but don't go out of your way to make their life easy. If they're a bit of a tit, they'll make their own cockups and their boss will hang then out to dry.

• Like 4

you have no idea how much trouble you are going to cause with the phone buttons swapping my friend,the genie is out the bottle and i cant wait to get to the office lol. why i why i have i never come up with that one before

Please dont mention it was my idea..!! :scare: :scare: :surrender:

I always email EVERYTHING and insist on it being emailed to me, no email it doesn't get done, simple rule.

Previous guy to me did everything on the back of a fag packet and was apparently a 'legend' and 'brilliant' at what he did....

Yeah right that will be why I have saved £1.4M in 5 months :lol:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

I always email EVERYTHING and insist on it being emailed to me, no email it doesn't get done, simple rule.

Previous guy to me did everything on the back of a fag packet and was apparently a 'legend' and 'brilliant' at what he did....

Yeah right that will be why I have saved £1.4M in 5 months :lol:

You'll on a good Christmas bonus then..!! ;) ;)

Talk to her. Has anyone else who has a problem with her talked to her or just shut her out, sniped her, talked negatively in the office when she isn't there? A saying we all know but rarely recognize is that 'its lonely at the top' - who knows what she is up against day in day out in work and outside of it. She could be in a role which isn't right for her and is trying to keep things ticking over but is lashing out at people she barely knows, its easier to do that to people you have no working relationship with. Have a chat, understand her issues, talk about what you can bring to the table to help out.

Talk to her. Has anyone else who has a problem with her talked to her or just shut her out, sniped her, talked negatively in the office when she isn't there? A saying we all know but rarely recognize is that 'its lonely at the top' - who knows what she is up against day in day out in work and outside of it. She could be in a role which isn't right for her and is trying to keep things ticking over but is lashing out at people she barely knows, its easier to do that to people you have no working relationship with. Have a chat, understand her issues, talk about what you can bring to the table to help out.

I am a bit torn on this one. In many circumstances this will work and I think I would have tried this. However, it does very much depend on the person. It's a bit of a 50/50. Friends of mine have been in this situation - one of them it worked brilliantly and everything has been rosy ever since; the other it all went pear shaped and things went downhill - because unfortunately the boss felt threatened by what was a genuine approach (I think they thought it weakened their position if they "confessed all" - which is, of course, a demonstration of a lack of self-confidence in itself). It's a case where you have to pitch it just right. Good luck anyway.

Working in offices is for fannies! Fannies with massive fannies!

Do what we do when we are on the tools and just chuck a spanner at her from the top of a scaffold, that normally nails the message home. Or even better, superglue her rigger boots to the ceiling, stitch the zip on her overalls up, stick cups on her hard hat whilst her back is turned, draw a **** on the finger of her glove so that she has a **** finger, put a bar of soap in her tea, fill her rigger boots with food colouring and lastly........kick her in the fanny.

Do what we do when we are on the tools and just chuck a spanner at her from the top of a scaffold, that normally nails the message home. Or even better, superglue her rigger boots to the ceiling, stitch the zip on her overalls up, stick cups on her hard hat whilst her back is turned, draw a **** on the finger of her glove so that she has a **** finger, put a bar of soap in her tea, fill her rigger boots with food colouring and lastly........kick her in the fanny.

Yep.. that should work. You will need to get hold of the following:- Spanner, Scaffold, Superglue, Rigger Boots, Overalls, Hard Hat, Glove (depending on season). Food colouring, cups and soap may be available in the office somewhere. You are going to be mighty busy :lol:

Yep.. that should work. You will need to get hold of the following:- Spanner, Scaffold, Superglue, Rigger Boots, Overalls, Hard Hat, Glove (depending on season). Food colouring, cups and soap may be available in the office somewhere. You are going to be mighty busy :lol:

Look man, my solutions aren't generic, a little tweakage may be required to fit in with your problem. :unsure:

I am a bit torn on this one. In many circumstances this will work and I think I would have tried this. However, it does very much depend on the person. It's a bit of a 50/50. Friends of mine have been in this situation - one of them it worked brilliantly and everything has been rosy ever since; the other it all went pear shaped and things went downhill - because unfortunately the boss felt threatened by what was a genuine approach (I think they thought it weakened their position if they "confessed all" - which is, of course, a demonstration of a lack of self-confidence in itself). It's a case where you have to pitch it just right. Good luck anyway.

The second route you mention, is pretty much the route it would go down if nothing was done though. I would also argue that the first response is more likely to happen than the second. In any case, you attempt all reasonable avenues of resolving the issue, you record it, then you escalate it if necessary armed with your recordings of your attempts to handle the issue.

Working with people is an odd thing, at the end of the second series of the Office although a comedy he makes the point that we just happen to walk the same bit of carpet, and you spend the majority of your waking day with them, you have to make every effort to make it work - if every one threw up defensive strategies every time a conflict occurred it would be chaos.

• Like 1

Now, for a sensible answer! lol.

Im in a similar situation. In a company of 3000+ staff and for my age (24) im working at a very high level in the company. Im working with one of the company execs (no, not a PA...) and am responsible for all of the IT projects that happen throughout the company.

Recently there's been some new hiring's, older people that are below me in terms of "office rank" but their experience and age significantly outweighs mine. In the past 3 weeks, two of these have tried to assert authority on me either by complaining directly to my boss about my work (when I was doing nothing wrong, and my boss agreed and told my colleague as much) or by constantly pointing out everything I ever do is wrong.

Simple solution is to bite back. For a month or so I just thought "oh, its just some newbie wanting to show they can rule the roost" and then it carried on, so I "sat them down" (if I may use a gaming analogy here). They now don't talk to me in that fashion.

If im wrong, im wrong, and everyone I work for knows I like to be told it, id rather fix my mistakes, but some people need to be out in their place when theyre basically just being nasty, plus its counter productive.

$hit doesn't just roll downhill, and if this colleague is making your life difficult or blaming you for her mistakes, take it to HR, or even just threaten to. You will find 99% of people back off instantly, especially if you have an audit trail so to speak of the actions involved.

• Like 1

Reading through the various replies I guess one factor is age/experience.

What I would have done when I was 25 years old, lower down the pecking order and with limited experience is fundamentally different to what I would have done when I was pretty high up in a top 50 FTSE PLC, with loads of experience and a good stock of brownie points behind me. Later in my career I was happy to front up any issue with anybody with a high degree of confidence that I would emerge victorious one way or another..... but I can still remember what it was like being beaten round the head (metaphorically speaking) by some unreasonable git for no good reason (and those were the days where you boss would just say things like - "I don't care what you think, I am God") :lol:

Of course if people are being vindictive and nasty, then that's something that may or may not be sorted with a conversation. I find the best businesses I have been involved in are where people are adult enough to talk about the issue and resolve it. Yes you can go flying off to HR but all they will do is put you both in the room together and talk about it anyway, but you will both feel like naughty children arguing over sweets instead of adults sorting out a situation.

If that person doesn't respond to different (and well researched) practices of dealing with conflict THEN raise it to a higher authority and then HR and your position on the matter will be hugely elevated vs just complaining without any resolution efforts on your own part.

Of course if people are being vindictive and nasty, then that's something that may or may not be sorted with a conversation. I find the best businesses I have been involved in are where people are adult enough to talk about the issue and resolve it. Yes you can go flying off to HR but all they will do is put you both in the room together and talk about it anyway, but you will both feel like naughty children arguing over sweets instead of adults sorting out a situation.

If that person doesn't respond to different (and well researched) practices of dealing with conflict THEN raise it to a higher authority and then HR and your position on the matter will be hugely elevated vs just complaining without any resolution efforts on your own part.

Yes.. I must confess I would see HR as the last resort.