Storm warning 28/10/13

ATTAK Z

On the way into work there was a rather large branch in the middle of the road on a country lane. Bloke in a van ahead of me carefully inched his way past it on one side, probably got a few nasty scratches down the panel for his troubles. I simply parked the truck across the road, chucked the hazards on and then got out of the cab and pulled the branch out of the way into a nearby ditch, thus making life easier for both myself and other road users.

My point is not how wonderful I am at doing this, but more what the bloody hell was the bloke in front thinking of??!! It's surely obvious that it would be better just to move the obstacle rather than try to avoid it. *****. :rant:

Lol, this thread has caused a chain email at work with images of the 'massive storm' I may have nabbed some from this thread ;)

Be careful, a lot of companies ban such behaviour and can lead to disciplinary up to dismissal... I know as I've been called to provide logs on the past.

I only say as I just read your thread about getting the job and it being your first permanent position.

I was at Abbey this morning and it took me nearly 4hrs to get to my office in Canary Wharf.... The office is a ghost town, so many people stuck and some people still are only just getting in now!

What a joke... If they were expecting such harsh conditions you'd have thought they would be running maintenance trains up and down during the night to clear debris.

Can't believe a little bit of wind, snow, rain, leaves, sun can cause so much chaos to this country.

Totally overplayed just like everything is in Britain. I have seen more wind come out of my arse! Every time the BBC predict huge snow fall or events like this we get nothing!

Yep, the wheely bins that bounced off my GTI-6 and the tree that had fallen onto our MR2 this morning was just a figment of my imagination. Fortunately car is alright (well, the 6 was a bit dented already :lol:), my prized almond tree wont be going anywhere other than "the fire" though :cry:

Totally overplayed just like everything is in Britain. I have seen more wind come out of my arse! Every time the BBC predict huge snow fall or events like this we get nothing!

Yep, the wheely bins that bounced off my GTI-6 and the tree that had fallen onto our MR2 this morning was just a figment of my imagination. Fortunately car is alright (well, the 6 was a bit dented already :lol:), my prized almond tree wont be going anywhere other than "the fire" though :cry:

But nowhere near bad as predicted and nothing like the storm of 1987 that wasn't predicted that blew down 17 million trees.! :lol:

I dunno, a lot of places saw ~100mph gusts and I believe the best part of 200,000 homes were without power this morning, most of the rail network closed down and 3 people have died, its pretty bad.

I think you might be suffering East Anglia syndrome, where the rest of the country gets 20ft of snow and we dont even get a dusting of frost but still have to watch endless pictures of snow related suffering and hear about days off work from everyone else :lol:

I dunno, a lot of places saw ~100mph gusts and I believe the best part of 200,000 homes were without power this morning, most of the rail network closed down and 3 people have died, its pretty bad.

I think you might be suffering East Anglia syndrome, where the rest of the country gets 20ft of snow and we dont even get a dusting of frost but still have to watch endless pictures of snow related suffering and hear about days off work from everyone else :lol:

Believe its now 5 people dead, still 60,000 without electricity, a large branch came off a tree by my house missed my conservatory and

went straight through my neighbours, Tree branches everyhere, not as bad as 87, but still bad enough.

On the way into work there was a rather large branch in the middle of the road on a country lane. Bloke in a van ahead of me carefully inched his way past it on one side, probably got a few nasty scratches down the panel for his troubles. I simply parked the truck across the road, chucked the hazards on and then got out of the cab and pulled the branch out of the way into a nearby ditch, thus making life easier for both myself and other road users.

My point is not how wonderful I am at doing this, but more what the bloody hell was the bloke in front thinking of??!! It's surely obvious that it would be better just to move the obstacle rather than try to avoid it. *****. :rant:

Obviously not his van.

Hope you had your high vis on Dan, notified highways, had the adequate insurance and done/filled in all the risk assesment forms before even exiting your vehicle! Lol

H & S, rules common sense these days aided and abetted by weather forecasters who would often do better holding a wet finger in the air :dry:

Hope you had your high vis on Dan, notified highways, had the adequate insurance and done/filled in all the risk assesment forms before even exiting your vehicle! Lol

Got worse than that: On the way home I stopped to help a couple of coppers clear a fallen tree from the side of the road (same road, too!), so felt like an awesome citizen doing my civic duty to help others. I did actually put my hi-vis on that time as it was pitch black, so seemed the sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

Lol, you lot you should try living on a fairly narrow isthmus in the South Pacific without any land mass within a couple of thousand kms away. :p Tropical storms. :lol: Still nothing in comparison to living in Tornado Alley in the US.

Bit sad that a few people were squashed by trees though, in all seriousness.