Trackday noise limits and exhausts

andysmee

Having been around the block a few times in my previous incarnation with RX-7's, I need to be sure that any exhaust I choose will be usable on trackdays (I recently had a very dull day at Bedford with my last car, having to lift off as I passed all five monitoring points every lap :rant: ).

So, out of the myriad of choices of exhausts, is there any to avoid outright as they will be 105dB+ regardless? Like a Motordyne - is it loud as well as beautiful?!

I have searched, but I get the impression that most people here are more about the sound than the outright volume on track.

Andy

The biggest issue is when people start decatting, most other exhausts are fine up until that point. For example, I only saw 104dB with a K1 with the bungs out, although I always left them in for the actual track out of common sense. There's not a lot else out there that's going to be louder than a K1, however intake choice will make a difference here too.

The biggest issue is when people start decatting, most other exhausts are fine up until that point. For example, I only saw 104dB with a K1 with the bungs out, although I always left them in for the actual track out of common sense. There's not a lot else out there that's going to be louder than a K1, however intake choice will make a difference here too.

You had a proper k1 though? Japspeed is just noise

hmmm...this is going to be predictably tricky.

had I titled this thread 'Wanted - Loud Exhaust' I would have expected a list of two or three exhausts by now, but asking for the opposite is more difficult.

Actually, I want a Motordyne one (buying with my ears, not my head), but not if it would fail a drive-by limit at Bedford, so can anyone answer that question directly.

Andy

Just buy the exhaust you want, and then chuck in exhaust bungs if it is too loud? If it is too loud even with (which I'd VERY much doubt) get some wadding they use for re-packable silencers and wrap the bung in it and metal cable tie in place. Then you'd have a very quiet exhaust.

Pretty much, any exhaust you like will be ok so long as you don't take the cats out.

My buddyclub with bungs out and sports cats was miles under. I cant imagine it gets much louder with decats either, although ive never heard one.

You'd be surprised tbh! There's a vid on here of me at japfest and you can here me at the opposite end of the track. The testers laughed when the passed me at 100db, as Keyser and buster will remember, his words were along the lines of " you guys, that's how a real car sounds" after asking Keyser and buster if there engines were on.

• Like 2

My buddyclub with bungs out and sports cats was miles under. I cant imagine it gets much louder with decats either, although ive never heard one.

You'd be surprised tbh! There's a vid on here of me at japfest and you can here me at the opposite end of the track. The testers laughed when the passed me at 100db, as Keyser and buster will remember, his words were along the lines of " you guys, that's how a real car sounds" after asking Keyser and buster if there engines were on.

The only reason they let you in was they added yours and Busters db reading together and divided it in half :lol:

O and that maybe how a "real car sounds" but I don't recall seeing you on the track - well just the once in the REAR VIEW MIRROR!! :p:lol:

Was a fun day out thought :thumbs:

• Like 2

The only reason they let you in was they added yours and Busters db reading together and divided it in half :lol:

O and that maybe how a "real car sounds" but I don't recall seeing you on the track - well just the once in the REAR VIEW MIRROR!! :p:lol:

Was a fun day out thought :thumbs:

Were you driving backwards Chris?

Having been around the block a few times in my previous incarnation with RX-7's, I need to be sure that any exhaust I choose will be usable on trackdays (I recently had a very dull day at Bedford with my last car, having to lift off as I passed all five monitoring points every lap :rant: ).

So, out of the myriad of choices of exhausts, is there any to avoid outright as they will be 105dB+ regardless? Like a Motordyne - is it loud as well as beautiful?!

I have searched, but I get the impression that most people here are more about the sound than the outright volume on track.

Andy

My car tested 88db at Combe with std cats and a HKS True Dual and was a noticeable improvement over std Andy. I recently fitted silenced decats and reckon i will still be under Combes strict 100db.

• 2 weeks later...