Best 'wet look' wax? i just cant decided

Spatt

Starting a conversation about this to get peoples opinions/experiences

I'v just found out that there are 'hard waxes' and 'sorft waxes' too? :scare: can anyone explain this?

all these waxes are great but which ones are the best?

My latest purchase was chemical guys xxx paste wax which i ordered right after seeing this video

Punch in "chemical guys xxx wax paste" on you tube its the first one (guys detailing an S2000) if the link doesn't work. It smells great, goes on great but a little difficult if its been on a little too long (although the directions say 15mins)

Anyway, do you have to layer up the wax over and over to get that high gloss shine, should i wait between waxes? for how long?

or does it just come down to the quality of the paint/Lac?

I'v used Simoniz wax and like the hard shell that it seems to put on the bodywork realy hydrophobic too!

I'v used do do juice orange crush and its a pleasure to use too.

So what are people using and on what colours?

In terms of application, every wax is different. Some want to be done in the shade, some in the sun, some leave on for ages, some take off straight away.

As a beginner to medium level wax, I find it hard to look past the Dodo Juice range. Hard wax lasts longer than soft wax and is better to put on with a pad, soft wax can look better but needs to be done by using your actual hands really. If you want something really good without going too mad, then the DJ Supernatural is immense for the money: It's what I use on my cars except the 911, which gets the ridiculously expensive Swissvax stuff. DJSN is a piece of cake to work with as well;, put it on how you like and take off how you like, it really doesn't care.

Leave at least a day between coats and alternate between products in each detailing session. Iv used simoniz hard wax which is very hydrophobic, megs tech wax (liquid wax) which leaves a very glossy finish and dodo juice purple haze which is a soft wax and the result is somewhere in between

Problem with leaving a day between coats is that if you park outside like I do, then your car will more than likely get covered in dust and crap over night, which i wouldnt want to polish / wax into the car. I tend to bung one coat of wax on, then go off for a cuppa or a sarnie, then come back and put next coat on. By then im usually sick to death of cleaning as i would have washed, dried, clayed, polished, then done 2 coats of wax. I may have even hoovered the interior & cleaned / treated the leather as well.

As mentioned above, all waxes are different, some you can layer almost immediately whilst other require longer between coats.

I can't really add much to Ekona's post really, other than the question regarding gloss which will come down more to prep. than to the wax on top - although difference waxes will give slightly different finishes.

With regards to "what's best", that depends entirely on both you're trying to achieve and personal preference really. Give this a read through.

Not the wax question..............

At the end of the day you'll find the one YOU like/find best.

If you ask all our active members the question,you'd have 8 or 10 different answers that they swear by,

(I'm non of the above mentioned waxes :lol: )

ok, brilliant.. some good answers and opinions cheers.

I think i'll stick with the do do juice for now and try that for when i finally get my Zed, looking forward to getting to work on a darker colour like the blue or the black. Im hoping to land a blue one as its one of my favourite colours for the Zed

my current car is bright red and in my opinion the red looks really good in the sun.

I think we all have our favourite waxes. thats why the market is so diverse. we all like to indulge ourselves and of course.. our cars too ;)

Dodo Supernatural

+1 But after you have applied some Blackfire Wet Diamond

funnily enough Dave I was going to mention that when I posted. It is great stuff. Not cheap compared to when I bought it a couple of years ago but it does last. Leaves a superb glassy finish before applying was. I have to say Blackfires wax is pretty impressive too.

Melt a candle on it and clean off with an unshaven ballbag.

Works a treat even in the sun

Does that have to be your own unshaven ball bag? Sounds a little painful to me.

So long as you let the wax dry you'll be reet.

Meguiars do a nice line in unshaven badger ball bags that are good for the job :teeth:

Dodo Supernatural

+1 But after you have applied some Blackfire Wet Diamond

funnily enough Dave I was going to mention that when I posted. It is great stuff. Not cheap compared to when I bought it a couple of years ago but it does last. Leaves a superb glassy finish before applying was. I have to say Blackfires wax is pretty impressive too.

I was surprised you didn't mention it Mike, after all it was you that persuaded me to get some after you started a thread about it. But yes your right its certainly not cheap!!