Buying 313 - can't quite find info I'm looking for

NeilMH

. By now I have also acquired enough knowledge to know what I would want to do with it when I get it.

One of the reasons I bought my HR is because you dont really need to do much to it. Nissan spent god knows how many hours squeezing the very last drop from the engine which is why its 80% new over the old one. They even modified the cooling to improve reliability to some of the cylinders, added ram air, lowered the engine in the chasis to improve handling etc. etc. The list is endless. If you look at the 2007 HR sales pdf you`ll see loads of stuff.

So, whilst with an older DE car or revup you would add a pendulum, air filters, exhaust, remap and about get the same power as an HR, with an HR you already have it. Problem there is, cos the HR is so highly tuned, adding an exhaust or air filters doesnt do much if anything. Even a remap wont add much to it. Personally apart from add a different exhaust to make the exhaust note a bit more fruitier i didnt do anything to mine and wasnt disappointed. Temptation though is always in the back of your mind that if you want to go FI then the HR engine is the strongest one to do it on.

Downside, well apart from the higher tax, the extra cost an HR will cost you to buy.

Interesting info rabbitstew - thanks. When the time approaches I will look at the mods in more detail now. However, my objectives would be to do with throttle response and noise rather than headline numbers. I obviously need to look into that more before spending more than is necessary.

Just another note of interest. I have berks and a takeda dual intake fitted which makes the car sound far more appealing but there is now a hesitation during driving which to be fair is only slight. After talking to Mark @ abbey the Only way to sort this unless your happy to live with it is by remapping which if your doing then it makes sense to add the exhaust so in short it's either all or nothing from what I've found.

Just another note of interest. I have berks and a takeda dual intake fitted which makes the car sound far more appealing but there is now a hesitation during driving which to be fair is only slight. After talking to Mark @ abbey the Only way to sort this unless your happy to live with it is by remapping which if your doing then it makes sense to add the exhaust so in short it's either all or nothing from what I've found.

Yes - I've just been through Mark's (Abbey) various postings on the subject including his advice on tuning the HR and the available tuning packages. I think, subject to test driving the standard car, I would still be likely to go ahead with their Stage 3 package (Uprev, Milltek, Berks) plus the Stillen Intake Kit (the one with the boxes to reduce heat soak). Also MPSS + SS brake hoses if not already fitted by a previous owner. I will, however, try to keep an open mind until I have actually driven one.

Yes - I've just been through Mark's (Abbey) various postings on the subject including his advice on tuning the HR and the available tuning packages.

Ooh, interesting, been struggling to find decent 313 engine modding stuff. Got a link??

Just click on the Abbey Motorsport bit in the traders section. You will find several bits and pieces on the subject.

Both a DE and an HR in our household. Not a lot of difference driving wise really, HR has a lighter clutch and the steering seems a bit lighter too, but this could be simply down to differences from vehicle to vehicle. . DE has slightly better pickup at low revs but the HR engine seems a bit smoother all round and has less rattles. The clunk I get when changing from 1st to second when cold is less obvious in the HR and driving at night is a better experience in an HR as the headlights are a noticeable improvement.

Pete

Absolutely no downsides at all that i can see going from DE to HR. I've tracked back to back a DE revup ragtop and a HR coupe, and in every way that mattered the coupe was the better car. Lighter, quicker, hungrier for revs, the lot.

Pity the Coupe's not as good looking as the ragtop, especially with the roof off, but, Hey, you can't have everything

Plus you can use 95RON, if you're a real tight-arse :lol:

Fixed that for you, Dan :lol:

Cheers, Ian

I just saw someone say you don't need to use premium fuel on the HR - but it clearly says in the fuel cap you must use 98+?

Also I can reiterate that my HR has never used a drip of oil!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

In the owners manual it says you can use 95 ron as a stop gap until you can fill up with good stuff.

Because the HR has knock sensors all the way up the rev range, the engine won't detonate on 95 fuel, unlike the DE engines where it only detects knock up until 5k. So although Nissan don't recommend it for the HR, it's safe to do so.

Mine is one of the first 313 engined cars-only one filtre.

Wait, what? Are you saying you have a 309bhp car, but that the engine only has one air filter? If so, then I don't think you have a 309bhp car...

In that case,I had better ask for a Road Tax refund and get the V5 altered ;)

I can't work out if you're taking the pi** or not?! lol ALL 313 engines have two air intakes, two MAF Sensors and the oil dipstick located at the front centre of the block. Got a photo?

It's not unheard of for V5s to be incorrect.

Mine is one of the first 313 engined cars-only one filtre.

Wait, what? Are you saying you have a 309bhp car, but that the engine only has one air filter? If so, then I don't think you have a 309bhp car...

In that case,I had better ask for a Road Tax refund and get the V5 altered ;)

I can't work out if you're taking the pi** or not?! lol ALL 313 engines have two air intakes, two MAF Sensors and the oil dipstick located at the front centre of the block. Got a photo?

It's not unheard of for V5s to be incorrect.

OP just save up a few extra pennies and go for a 370z.

Yes, thanks, I was aware of this possibility :lol: At the moment I'm still leaning towards the 313.

No **** take.The car was supplied by Glynn Hopkinson of Romford to its first owner, she was a Nissan employee, in 2007.I did question the 313 before buying the car, it was confirmed as a 313bhp model, the reason I bought it.