Buying 313 - can't quite find info I'm looking for

NeilMH

In addition to the new HR/313 twin intake engine, the other obvious signs that you have the HR model are the revised bonnet with the hump in it to accommodate the new engine (although this can be retro-fitted to the DE models), a rev counter that has an increased red line limit to 7500 rpm, and an illuminated ring around the ignition which lights up when you unlock the car.

I have an HR and there is no mention of this on the V5, just "350 Z", so don't believe everything you read. I do however have all of the above.

Mine is one of the first 313 engined cars-only one filtre.

Wait, what? Are you saying you have a 309bhp car, but that the engine only has one air filter? If so, then I don't think you have a 309bhp car...

In that case,I had better ask for a Road Tax refund and get the V5 altered ;)

I can't work out if you're taking the pi** or not?! lol ALL 313 engines have two air intakes, two MAF Sensors and the oil dipstick located at the front centre of the block. Got a photo?

It's not unheard of for V5s to be incorrect.

OP just save up a few extra pennies and go for a 370z.

Yes, thanks, I was aware of this possibility :lol: At the moment I'm still leaning towards the 313.

No **** take.The car was supplied by Glynn Hopkinson of Romford to its first owner, she was a Nissan employee, in 2007.I did question the 313 before buying the car, it was confirmed as a 313bhp model, the reason I bought it.

What others have said, if it doesn't have 2 intakes, it's not an HR. I don't know how the V5 would suggest it is as my V5 doesn't state what engine is in the car, just capacity, make and model of car. Also, if the car was a late registered vehicle or one of the many Irish imports, it could easily be an 06 facelift registered in 2007. I've seen 2008 registered cars like this too. Tax is the same for all 350Z's registered after March 2006, regardless of which of the three engines it has.

I still think theres something fishy going on, because surely no one is silly enough on this forum not to know the difference between the 2 completely different engines.

Edited by KyleR

Oh I dunno, if a main dealer tells you something then it's probably reasonable to believe it. Terrible if they did, though.

Unless you've got it in writing...

Which I have-so next step,for an obviously stupid person who had no intention of buying a z in the first place-therefore was only going by looks and performance,seems like a lawsuit in the making! Now,how do I go about suing Nissan GB etal.

Despite the obvious smart arsed replies,thanks for the sensible ones.I'll let you know how I get on.

First stops will be the Dealer,then those very helpful people at DVLA,I obviously dont have what they are charging 460 quid a year for,[i'll quote what I've been told on here} so I really would like to know why the tax is as it is.

Edited by Terence Bower

As Kyle said, the "tax" band for the car is almost certainly going to be the same (prob v. similar emissions)so your beef should be with the dealer not DVLA.

Be interesting to see what other members views are on the difference in value between the 2 models, but more importantly, the value between the 2 models when you acquired the vehicle. I have access to my back catalogue of CAP if you wish to pm

The tax band is set when the car is registered: As yours was done after March 2006, you'll pay whatever the rate is for the emissons, so the £460 or whatever it is will not change regardless of what you do. Even if it was a 309 car, you'd still be paying that. You have no comeback there, so don't waste your time.

Against the dealer, it's a different story. Unless you have that it's a 309 car in writing (On the invoice? On an email enquiry?), I suspect that the law will not find in your favour if it went to court as on the balance of probabilities, it's likely the dealer did not tell you that it was a 309 car. I'm not calling you a liar, in fact I completely believe you, however I suspect a judge will not. As such, you're very much reliant on the dealership themselves to reimburse you maybe £1500 tops for your woes, but I'm guessing you'll be pissing up the wind here.

What I would do is pop down and see them, and hopefully the same sales guy is there. Ask him if he remembers you, get him to confirm that you asked for a 309 car in casual conversation, then get him to inspect yours along with one of the techs and then the ball should drop. At that point, you've kinda got him over a barrel. Do it all friendly like, as if you've just popped in for a chat, and give him enough rope to hang himself with. If you go in all b=guns blazing you'll get nowhere, as they'll just close ranks.

• Like 1

Purely by accident I have performed a civic duty in starting this thread ;)

It's good advice from Ekona above. I agree that unless you have an invoice or an advert or some paperwork saying it's a 313 it may be a struggle because it would come down to "you said, he said".

There is also another way of looking at this - do you like the car anyway - presumably up until this point you were happy?

As a side, ive lost count of the number of car adverts ive seen where the garage says its a 313 model purely because its a 2007 or newer car when clearly from the photographs its not a 313. Thats one reason when I bought my 313 I actually checked what I needed to look for when I bought it.

Interestingly though, the Glass`s guide traders use have never heard of the 313 model. When I part ex`d my 2007 car the price Glasses guide showed was for the older 300 model and not a 313.

Yes I do have the original sales invoice,clearly stating it to be a 313.

Yes,I do like the car a lot more than the M3s I regularly drive [dont want to be stereotyped as I know where the indicator switch is] It was a present from my wife,thats what has pi**ed me off more than anything. Going to take the engine cover off first,before returning to the garage in Norwich where I bought it from.

Yes I do have the original sales invoice,clearly stating it to be a 313.

Yes,I do like the car a lot more than the M3s I regularly drive [dont want to be stereotyped as I know where the indicator switch is] It was a present from my wife,thats what has pi**ed me off more than anything. Going to take the engine cover off first,before returning to the garage in Norwich where I bought it from.

My wife got me a pair of jeans - I feel cheated :lol: Anyway, good luck with your visit tomorrow - very interesting situation.

Terence - you mention who the original owner bought it from, but where did you buy it? Was it an Indy dealer, Nissan or other main dealership?

As Ekona said, no need to remove anything, just pop the hood and post the picture, that way we/you can be 100% on what you have and you can take that knowledge to whomever you bought from.

No need to post a photo of the engine really, Terence, this is a HR engine:

IMG_1669.jpg

Note the 2 air filter housings at the front leading in to the plenum on both sides of the engine and the dipstick right at the front. If yours only has the filter leading in to the plenum on the right side and your dipstick is a RPITA to get to then it's not a HR. Also the engine cover is different on the HR to the prior engines.

IMG_1669.jpg

Note the 2 air filter housings at the front leading in to the plenum on both sides of the engine and the dipstick right at the front. If yours only has the filter leading in to the plenum on the right side and your dipstick is a RPITA to get to then it's not a HR. Also the engine cover is different on the HR to the prior engines.

A bit O/T, but wow - how do you keep the metal work at the front of the block so shiny!? *jealous*

IMG_1669.jpg

A bit O/T, but wow - how do you keep the metal work at the front of the block so shiny!? *jealous*

Don't ask me, it's a google image search! ;)

• Like 2