Snow Foam!!

JordanHill

I will be contentious ...

1) sponges are fine, I use them and prefer them to sheepskin mitts, which get clogged and is high maintence

2) snow foam, for me, is a detailing placebo. I've tried all the foams and now believe that a decent apc, appropriately diluted, is more effective at actually pre cleaning.

I do still use it, mainly in the underside of the car and the arches, purely due to cling... But mixed with apc

Snow foam isn't worth it in the slightest. Even after you've used it, you still need to use the TBM to actually clean the car. If a car was really, really, really filthy then I may use the foam as a pre-cleaner (I did on the Impreza after I came back from a very snowy and gritty trackday at Spa in March), but otherwise it's just another 20 mins of wasted time. A hose nozzle set at the appropriate spray setting will get rid of as much larger particles of dirt as you'd need.

• Like 2

In fear of mentioning the S***G word again and getting beaten up can someone draft out the ideal process for cleaning the z without a snow foam. IE Products and exquipment. Would be good to see as i am self taught.

Payco

Buy a pressure sprayer (e.g. from garden centre)

Mix warm water and APC to appropriate dilution depending on if you do or don't want to strip wax

Fill pressure sprayer and spray mix over car - fit a foaming head to the sprayer if you wish

Then rinse and proceed with 2bm wash

Boom

Rinse with hose

TBM for cleaning using wash mitt & shampoo of your choice

Rinse with open ended hose

Dry using drying towel

Very, very basic but that's the idea. By the way, TBM = Two Bucket Method, one bucket with your warm water & shampoo in, and one with cold clean water to rinse mitt before loading up with shampoo water again. One panel at a time, i.e. load mitt, clean bonnet, rinse mitt, load mitt, clean bumper, rinse mitt etc.

Rinse with hose

TBM for cleaning using wash mitt & shampoo of your choice

Rinse with open ended hose

Dry using drying towel

Very, very basic but that's the idea. By the way, TBM = Two Bucket Method, one bucket with your warm water & shampoo in, and one with cold clean water to rinse mitt before loading up with shampoo water again. One panel at a time, i.e. load mitt, clean bonnet, rinse mitt, load mitt, clean bumper, rinse mitt etc.

To be fair that does sound like a great way of cleaning the car! I bet yours looks spot on :) How long does it take you to clean your car haa?

To be fair that does sound like a great way of cleaning the car! I bet yours looks spot on :) How long does it take you to clean your car haa?

Quick wash takes about 45 mins as I always do the wheels, tyres and glass too, but a full-on clean with wax is usually around 4-5 hours.

I find a neutral snow foam is great to use in between cleans, i.e. during the week. I'm quite anal with my car cleaning so spend a few hours most weekends doing my or someone else's car. However during the week when I come home and the car is a bit dirty I just rinse, snow foam, rinse and dry. This technique is not recommended if your car is dirty, as the snow foam won't remove the major dirt. I stress neutral and rinse (not pressure wash) as you'll strip your wax off.

• 3 weeks later...

If you use a sponge after the snowfoam, you might as well use a sandblaster

I will be contentious ...

1) sponges are fine, I use them and prefer them to sheepskin mitts, which get clogged and is high maintence

2) snow foam, for me, is a detailing placebo. I've tried all the foams and now believe that a decent apc, appropriately diluted, is more effective at actually pre cleaning.

I do still use it, mainly in the underside of the car and the arches, purely due to cling... But mixed with apc

Getting a bit confused. I've been cleaning cars for decades and have always used a sponge!. Am I risking the paint work then or not in your opinions? What I tend to do is this; Using my jet washer I soak the entire car with water and remove loose dirt with the lance. Then I use a snow foam all over the vehicle. Rinse off, followed by going over the whole car with a sponge using the two bucket method ~ one with soap/warm water & the other to clean the sponge. Then I use a chamois clothe to dry the whole car. Opinions please, thanks. Edited by GMballistic

I prefer a drying towel to a chamois, got one of these which I like

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/orange-plush-microfibre-drying-towel.aspx

though I've read good stuff about the mammoth.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/drying-towels/chemical-guys-wooly-mammoth-drying-towel/prod_1003.html

Also got a mitt, not a sponge

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Luxurious-Lambs-Wool-Wash/dp/B001MPW5IC

This stuff is quite personal though, so it is not necessarily black and white on this. If you have the cash, simply try a couple of things :)

Thanks for the quick reply SuperStu. It's funny because when I heard people talking about a "drying towel" I thought they where just talking about a regular towel like you might have in the bathroom. :lol: Definitely think I might give one of those mitts ago and possibly the towel too. Cheers. :thumbs:

No worries. It's not a great leap from a bathroom towel TBH, the dodo that is, there's a Meg's one with a waffle finish which is quite different from a conventional towel, but I seldom use mine as the dodo is miles better. I'll go mammoth next time, just for the change.

Mitt FTW!