New Kitchen

neo-ninja

Hi Guys,

Quick question to you all, I am looking at redoing our kitchen at the moment it is pretty dated, the cupboards are pretty nasty, floor is dated, and worktops are horribly dated

I have got a few quotes from the likes of B&Q, Tesco, Homebase, Ikea for thier fitting and they all seem to be coming out at around £4k which for a fairly small kitchen seems crazy (that's just fitting)

I asked a local chap we have had before and he reckons to fit, lay new floor, move a few plug sockets to under counters, move rad and fit new one, fit LED lighting etc it will take him 10 days work and be around £2500 that includes all grout, cabling he needs etc..

Which I thought on one hand sounded fair in comparison to other quotes, but broken down on a per day rate seemed quite high to me.

Any thoughts from anyone, as always any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

A rough guide to work on is the cost of the units then double it for labour that seems to be how most people I know do it. I fitted my parents it was a pain as wickes didn't really measure properly and I had to move light switches and the hole for the extractor fan and still spend time trying to get things to fit. It really is hard to know without having a really in depth look at everything.

thanks for the replies so far, he did our downstairs bathroom a while back and I think he did a pretty good job of that and did it really quickly. we would be paying him a set fee. If I was braver I would try to do myself but I botched up somehow filling a hole in a wall to make it look terrible with polly filler to I don't trust myself with a kitchen, and moving cables etc.. and if im honest I don't have the time as work is crazy at the moment.

just been through this myself and was getting quotes between £1800-2400 just for fitting the kitchen and flooring not including plasterers,plumbers or electricians so i think that's a pretty good deal considering

luckily for me a friend needed somewhere to stay who has his own building firm so struck a deal that he can stay rent free if he fits the kitchen :teeth:

the main thing is finding someone you trust, if you've used him before and was happy with his work then go for it

Agreed, 10 days is ridiculous for a small kitchen. Ours took 3, plus half a day when the stone tops arrived.

As for tradesman, depends where you live, but anyone charging £250 a day round here would be out of work instantaneously. Try about half that.

I have done more kitchens than i can count and its an easy DIY job. Rip out old one, units are well easy to build, floor is easy to tile, rewire no problem, fiddly bit i find it cutting worktop and thats the bit everyone sees. Last one i did i spent about a grand on and it was huge. Had i replaced the cooker then id have budgeted another grand for a decent double range cooker.

HI Guys,

So thanks for all the advice so far I think its best if I lay out all the details.

Just got the plans out the kitchen is 4m x 2.5m.

He has given us a quote of £2500 for everything (flat agreed fee, it wont go up if the job takes longer) - that includes all extra bits and stuff he needs, to buy not included with the kitchen from B&Q. So new wiring, grout, floor adhesive, any piping etc...(we literally don't have to supply anything)

He will take off £200 if we remove old tiling from walls (its horrible as anything) and remove all top row of cupboards (Which are along one wall) - im confident i can do all that.

It sounds like people on here think that is a lot (i am actually completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so any help or advice is fantastic!)

His work would be:

To remove existing base units and floor tiles, disconnect cooker and remove all appliances.

Reroute lighting cable for led lighting to another wall near the entrance way.

Move rad from wall chase pipes under floor and bring pipes up to new location ready for new rad, change centre ceiling light for a new one.

Move all fused spur switches below work top.

Install all new base units and wall units to kitchen, sink to be plumbed in to existing plumbing plus run pipe through wall for an outside tap, plumb in washing machine and dishwasher.

Double cooker and hob to be wired into existing cooker cable, extractor fan with hood to be fitted

Tile kitchen floor and hall way (hallway is around 4m2).

All rubbish to be taken away from job.

Edited by neo-ninja

HI Guys,

So thanks for all the advice so far I think its best if I lay out all the details.

Just got the plans out the kitchen is 4m x 2.5m.

He has given us a quote of £2500 for everything (flat agreed fee, it wont go up if the job takes longer) - that includes all extra bits and stuff he needs, to buy not included with the kitchen from B&Q. So new wiring, grout, floor adhesive, any piping etc...(we literally don't have to supply anything)

He will take off £200 if we remove old tiling from walls (its horrible as anything) and remove all top row of cupboards (Which are along one wall) - im confident i can do all that.

It sounds like people on here think that is a lot (i am actually completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so any help or advice is fantastic!)

His work would be:

To remove existing base units and floor tiles, disconnect cooker and remove all appliances.

Reroute lighting cable for led lighting to another wall near the entrance way.

Move rad from wall chase pipes under floor and bring pipes up to new location ready for new rad, change centre ceiling light for a new one.

Move all fused spur switches below work top.

Install all new base units and wall units to kitchen, sink to be plumbed in to existing plumbing plus run pipe through wall for an outside tap, plumb in washing machine and dishwasher.

Double cooker and hob to be wired into existing cooker cable, extractor fan with hood to be fitted

Tile kitchen floor and hall way (hallway is around 4m2).

All rubbish to be taken away from job.

sounds OK 'cept that fused spur switches need to be above the worktop

sounds OK 'cept that fused spur switches need to be above the worktop

Why is that? They look ugly as hell so we are hiding them behnd counters so you can still access from cupboards. (also there seem to be soooo many for a small kitchen)

Edited by neo-ninja

Your appliances need a switch fused spur which is accessible and a connected to an un-switched socket to plug into which can be behind the appliance or in a cupboard next to it. If you cut the plug off an appliance to install it you will negate the guarantee

Edited by ATTAK Z

If you get a Howdens kitchen the units are already built, just fit them and put the doors/draws in/on and your done :thumbs:

I always do my own Kitchens and they always seem to be expensive as far as labour goes for installation :shrug:

If you get a Howdens kitchen the units are already built, just fit them and put the doors/draws in/on and your done :thumbs:

I always do my own Kitchens and they always seem to be expensive as far as labour goes for installation :shrug:

+1 for Howdens but Wren have done a good job for me too on one contract

mine was from howdens too but you need to make sure someone is there to double check the delivery mine had wall unit cupboards missing, too many base units, not enough doors etc.

it all got sorted eventually but still a pain in the backside

Please see my post on page 1 at 19.22

Edited by ATTAK Z

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, 10 days is ridiculous for a small kitchen. Ours took 3, plus half a day when the stone tops arrived.

As for tradesman, depends where you live, but anyone charging £250 a day round here would be out of work instantaneously. Try about half that.

Agree!!!

Most of the work involved is basic DIY. Out of the 10 days there's probably 4 days in which a tradesman would be required. I'd say it should be 4x £250 (tradesman) and 6 x £100 (labourer) = £1600!

But thats just my opinion, i'm positive others will see it differently!

Edited by stuarty

Having removed our old kitchen myself and had a huge amount of fun in the process, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I saved a day's labour costs. It took me two days but, like I said, it was great fun and I loved burning all the old cabinets at the end. Please put up photos of your kitchen when it's finished. I really enjoy seeing how other people have styled their houses :)