The Shark Build

Stutopia

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of small mods today now the rain's gone. Silvatec bulbs up front, fiddly as **** to get to, but worth the effort. Fried egg well and truly eaten :lol:

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-12%20at%2015.27.38_zps8kq59xtd.png

Finally fitted the carbon dipped kicks from Ricey, had to paint the Zeds since these arrived to match the others dotted about the car.

IMG_6327_zps6mtj7yhg.jpg

IMG_6330_zpsns9jpdkj.jpg

Whilst I had the red out, thought I'd tart up the washer fluid cap too :)

IMG_6331_zpsjsletsuz.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Retrimmed wheel arrive today :yahoo:

Extra girth for more satisfaction, perforated leather for improved channeling of juices, and a red bit on the top for improved racecarness :teeth:

IMG_6366_zpsr5w2hjxv.jpg

Jack Royal FTW!

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 9

I need one for the GTR, still haven't decided which style, but yours looks very nice...

I'm considering this version, shame Jack can't do this :(

2015-09-22_23-35-15.jpeg

That's really nice.

I was very tempted by alcantara sides, but I thought I'd spend my life keeping the nap all the same direction :lol: Do you think the carbon sections will be sufficiently grippy?

As round, steery things go, Stu, that is a very nice round, steery thing! I'm almost tempted to get mine done... by which I mean I might need to add it to the list things that I won't get round to doing. :teeth:

I was very tempted by alcantara sides, but I thought I'd spend my life keeping the nap all the same direction :lol: Do you think the carbon sections will be sufficiently grippy?

Keeping the nap in the same direction isn't so much of a problem as keeping the nap on the wheel. :lol: Unless you wear gloves all the time, it'll soon shed itself off of any surface you regularly touch. As you just look like a tool driving to the shops in your racing gloves. ;):lol:

Trip to Grinspeed for service, thanks to Clark Motorsport and Cougar Store for the fluids...

045464DB-2B80-41B7-B7DA-2B1B430EB884_zpssynsjshp.jpg

Can you tell me the lists of all the service parts you got there? As I am due to p3 full service in 6 weeks.

Thanks.

Errr, there's quite a bit. 5 litres of OEM coolant, 6 litres of titan pro engine oil (5w-30?), PAS fluid (same as OEM auto transmission fluid I think, but check that), couple of litres of brake/clutch fluid, OEM diff fluid, OEM gear oil, HKS panel filter, HKS oil filter, some molyslip and a partridge in a pear tree :lol:

Easiest option is to :pmclark: and get a P3 kit. I think I got my engine oil from Opie and the HKS goodies from somewhere else, though you can also get a cosworth panel and OEM oil filter more easily/cheaply. I also got some stuff from Cougar Store - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_12

If you're going the whole hog, why not get some belts and spark plugs too! I've not used a bad trader on here yet and most of them can supply some/all of the stuff if you get in touch.

More goodies arrived today, got a whole bunch of mods lined up ready for my next trip to the tech :yahoo:

IMG_6377_zpszz11hypc.jpg

Shocks and spring, thank you Ewen @ Clark Motorsport

ARBs and drop links, thank you Octet @ Torqen

Shiny plenum, thank you MopedMark

New steering wheel, as above ^^^

Super exicted!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So this lot has been a while getting on to The Shark, and I was so excited I forgot to take any decent pics during the install :(

Cruised over to Grinspeed in Leyland to get:

- Eibach ARBs and Whiteline Drop Links fitted (thank you Torqen)

- Tein S Springs & Billstein B6 Dampers fitted (thank you Clark Motorsport)

- re-trimmed wheel fitted (thank you Jack Royal)

- some other stuff :ninja: there wasn't time for today and will wait until my next Service.

- one last thing, nailed the MOT as well, no advisories :yahoo:

I also got see what happens on the inside oily bits when a Civic eats its own gearbox, which was both educational and very impressive (in a strange way) at the same time. Big thanks to Lee & Stevie at Grinspeed, for the service, bantz, education and brews - they are fantastic. If you're north west, go see them.

All shiny and new and colourful at the back :teeth:

IMG_6514_zpsmegufgej.jpg

Sorry for the rubs pic, but it is was the only I could get with everything squeezed in, up front.

IMG_6517_zpsai32tckj.jpg

Coincidentally, the road where I made my mind up to do the suspension mods was only a short detour on the way home, so I had a small chance to see what's what. Sadly it's a hurricane outside today so it was only a glimpse. Looking forward to a crisp, dry, cold day sometime soon for further testing. All was not lost though. The tricky repetitive stretch of B-road bumps which convinced me to make the changes were just as bumpy as before, but the car never felt like it was about to bounce off and waft away. It felt fresher, a little firmer and more positive.

As I've broken all the rules and changed a number of handling components all at once, I couldn't possibly say with any scientifcness (it's a word, look it up) what has done what to what, but I'm guessing the Billis helped with the bumps and the ARBs with the going round bendy bits (stop me if my race track talk gets too technical :lol: ). It might simply be putting in new and getting rid of old OEM stuff (11 years) that makes the difference. The Shark has spent a bit of it's life (before me) just standing around, which I don't think helps these bits - it just felt newerer all round on the way home, even factoring in my thoughts on self-justifying the not insignificant outlay.

Then another bit I've been looking forward to for some time now, the bit you use nearly every time you drive.

IMG_6520_zps0qguqnif.jpg

:yahoo:

The wheel is such a nice lift to the cockpit, it brings it a little more up-to-date and the extra girth is very pleasing in the palm - ooo err. Not having shiny flat leather is a real treat, as are the thumb holders. I'd urge anyone to get their wheel re-trimmed if they want a mod to appreciate every day - just got to keep it in this condition now. Very pleasing day all in all, nearly cured my Zeditus entirely.

The only downside is that although the headunit controls are tickety boo, the Cruise Control has gone on strike, which I didn't notice until I was on the motorway home - any ideas anyone?

• Like 1

I trust you polished and sealed all of those new shiny bits whilst they were waiting to go on... ;)

New wheel look very good, I do like that.

the Cruise Control has gone on strike, which I didn't notice until I was on the motorway home - any ideas anyone?

In what way is broked? Won't switch on at all or won't engage after switching on?

(I'm going to assume you're using it correctly... :stir: ).

Thanks mate, love the wheel.

I didn't polish or seal anything, they're dirty underneath things and made to be in the firing line :lol:

I'm a regular CC user, so I was operating it as I have in the past. I have had it flash a couple of times on the dash in the past when I've tried to activate it, in the "I know you want it on, but something's not right" way, but not had that for ages. Today it didn't respond at all :(

Awesome update man :)

The bilstein/ tein and eibach set up seems to work really really well together. Makes the car feel planted and sure footed on the road . The exact same set up as I run . I've done the rear spring mod to bring the rear in line with the front . Love the steering wheel , it's another " on my list " mods that I want to get done . Such a good quality job for the money imo.

Happy zedding :)

• 3 months later...

Been in for a service today at Grinspeed, cracking work as usual from Stevie and chatting cars is always better than being in the office :) There was a very tidy S2K in the workshop at the same time so got to have a close up look around that, very nice interior, good size for a midget like me and they're a very handsome vehicle on the whole. I can imagine they're a lot of fun.

Whilst she was in sorted out the Cruise Control by transplanting the internals from my old wheel, no idea why the ones that came with the wheel I bought weren't playing but all good now. Finally got round to getting the polished plenum fitted, which has been sitting around for ages. Well pleased with it, thanks to mopedmark for the polishing :thumbs:

IMG_6868_zpstwqa1aes.jpg

That's me done in the engine bay unless a good deal on a catch can comes along. In fact, that's pretty much me done with mods. Zeditus cured, only maintenance from here on in...

Just realised it was our 3 year anniversary last week too :throb: