30 minute job..... 6 hours later.

OsakaBen

Removing my spacers from the front and swapping them to the back. Easy you may say?....until I rounded a bolt on my spacer, then proceeded to chisel and drill it - until im left with a stupid mush ball of metal.

Nightmare....

29wqrk4.jpg

and the result of the evening as i was losing light...

333vm2q.jpg

erm....advice?

Ben

Take your calipers off and sell them to me and there will be an abundance of advice ;)

Sorry to see the hash going on. Burn bolts with fire!!

Don't think I can offer advice apart from fire :shrug:

I had one of them sort of problems the other night! Mine was an internal drive wheel nut though :scare:

Depends on how attached to the spacer you are - grind of the spacer (carefully) and then stilsons or simlar on the nut.

Or

Heat on the nut and a multi grip socket (if it will fit in the hole) if not carry on with the chisel

Good luck - horrid job!

After seeing you with the ratchet and torque wrench yesterday Ben, my advice would of been get adult supervision!

Afraid I can't offer any post mash up advice though mate. Hope you get it sorted. I might know someone that might be able to help this weekend if you don't get it sorted in the meantime. Keep us all posted.

• Like 1

I had a internal nut strip before :(

I had to get one of them turbo sockets, bash it on best you can, and get a massive breaker bar. Hopefully crack it off

Yes, I did exactly the same thing, I rounded the nut off, bashed it with a chisel, etc. Eventually I put the wheels and spacers back on, tightened everything up and drove it down to a garage. They used one of those turbo sockets, hammered it on then got a bar that must have been 3 foot long and after a couple of minutes off it came. They didn't charge me (I know them quite well though) but I gave the guy a tenner anyway.

Pete

I've had something similar before.

You might be able to hammer a socket on and then use an impact gun to get it off. Bare in mine you might wreck the socket. Any socket that will fit on will do, not necessarily the correct size. Don't use normal sockets with an impact gun.

The other alternative is to get a sharp screwdriver or chisel down one side and split the nut. In the process you might damage the thread of the hub studs.

But the best advice is to get to a good garage. they will almost certainly do a better, faster job for just a few quid.

Edited by Mack

Sorry mate only just saw this if you haven't got it off put it back together drive to a garage / try the tyre place to get an air tool on it.When there hammer on a socket and then it should pop off but you must hammer it on to a good fit no hairy fairy stuff :lol: oh yer one of your dads best sockets will do it

It would had been easier if it wasn't so badly chipped away. Whilst it was rounded, you had more options to get it out.

At this point you only have 2 options.

Remove the hub then clamp it down and drill out the entire stud.

Remove the hub, grind away the backing of the stud and press/hammer out the stud.

The second is the easier option. Either way you will need to change the stud.

Happened to me as well last year.....I bashed a 18mm socket over the 19mm nut. Metal hammer with loads of taps to make sure it was tight.

Seems you had fudged it though.....spacers are the devils work!

Ive just taken it down to a local garage. We tried everything until eventually we decided the spacer had to be sacrificed. Hes going to cut it off. I've been told to head back around 4.....Slightly nervous as my rotors arent cheap. We shall see!

Ive just taken it down to a local garage. We tried everything until eventually we decided the spacer had to be sacrificed. Hes going to cut it off. I've been told to head back around 4.....Slightly nervous as my rotors arent cheap. We shall see!

Seriously? Why not sacrifice a single stud instead of an entire spacer?

As others have said, i usually find getting a smaller than correct sized impact socket, bashing that onto the nut proper hard, then using a breaker bar usually does the trick.

I had a mate who had lost his locking wheel nut the other week and I had to get 2 of his wheels off like that. Came off well easy.

Seriously? Why not sacrifice a single stud instead of an entire spacer?

How would sacrifice the stud?

It would had been easier if it wasn't so badly chipped away. Whilst it was rounded, you had more options to get it out.

At this point you only have 2 options.

Remove the hub then clamp it down and drill out the entire stud.

Remove the hub, grind away the backing of the stud and press/hammer out the stud.

The second is the easier option. Either way you will need to change the stud.