Car running through a Red light on my travels... extra video added page 7

I'm ashamed to say I went through a red light recently due to being distracted at the key moment (probably a sign of my relative inexperience compared to most of you). I'm usually very careful and I felt very bad about it afterwards. Sort of thing that tends to focus the mind on not doing it again!

On a somewhat related question, at what point are you regarded as going thru a red light, by that I mean if it's amber when you cross the white line could you ever be done for going thru a red light if it then goes red as your full car is going over the white line?

Just trying to find out where it starts and ends?

No, it`s the point at which you first cross the stop line of the signals so the lights have to be on red before you start to cross the line to commit an offence of failing to comply to the ATS.

If he smashed into someone then fine. But he didn't.

Yes il admit I have done it once or twice. There is a junction here in a 40 zone and the sensor is wonky so spots you late but the lights change quicker.

If someone recorded me and put it on the Internet. I wouldn't be happy but then I suppose I'm not a perfect driver like you all are. You moral high horses never make mistakes. :thumbs:

Tbh that was a tiny mistake and you out his reg for it? You have become a jobs worth from the sounds of it.

I'm going to quote this, for that time when someone jumps a red light and ploughs into the side of your car. Will it just be a tiny mistake then?

+1

+2

Maybe you do that sort of thing then Dblock?

There's times when people are just on the change, but that's a blatant jumping of lights, no matter which way you look at it, he purposes chose to cross a red light.

Yes if he did that I'd chase him and smash his window with a wiper.

Are you honestly saying you make no mistakes when driving?

Tbh that was a tiny mistake and you out his reg for it? You have become a jobs worth from the sounds of it.

I'm going to quote this, for that time when someone jumps a red light and ploughs into the side of your car. Will it just be a tiny mistake then?

+1

+2

There's times when people are just on the change, but that's a blatant jumping of lights, no matter which way you look at it, he purposes chose to cross a red light.

:lol:

+1

+2

If anyone says they've never dashed for the lights on yellow they are a liar.

I had a crazy run of lights the other day in kingston - there are about 4 sets all round the one way system if you go through the town centre. As I went through each set of lights, as I was about ten feet from the line and it went amber. I was like 'oh blimey went through on amber' then again and again - it was like the lights are perfectly timed to stop and start traffic but if you find yourself in this half a second window they flick to amber as you cross the line!

I find the whole thing as well about 'slowing for traffic lights' something of a farce. How slow is slow? 10mph? 25mph? And what is more dangerous, people stepping on the brakes when there is an empty road in front of them or even people lifting off the throttle so no brake lights come up at all. Surely it would make more sense if the traffic lights were simply timed to speed limit of the road ie if its a 30mph then the time the light is amber is calibrated to the stopping time/distance of a car travelling at 30mph.

+1

+2

If anyone says they've never dashed for the lights on yellow they are a liar.

I tend to drop it to 2nd and floor that motha****er!

• Like 2

There's a difference between making a dash for the yellow and jumping a red. That bloke jumped a red, he was quite clearly never going to make it.

And funnily enough Dblock, most of us on here are careful drivers who have an ounce of common sense and tend to not jump a red light. Try not to tar us all with the Brush Of Crap Observation And Driving that you seem happy to paint yourself with :thumbs:

• Like 2

There's a difference between making a dash for the yellow and jumping a red. That bloke jumped a red, he was quite clearly never going to make it.

And funnily enough Dblock, most of us on here are careful drivers who have an ounce of common sense and tend to not jump a red light. Try not to tar us all with the Brush Of Crap Observation And Driving that you seem happy to paint yourself with :thumbs:

:clap:

I had a crazy run of lights the other day in kingston - there are about 4 sets all round the one way system if you go through the town centre. As I went through each set of lights, as I was about ten feet from the line and it went amber. I was like 'oh blimey went through on amber' then again and again - it was like the lights are perfectly timed to stop and start traffic but if you find yourself in this half a second window they flick to amber as you cross the line!

I find the whole thing as well about 'slowing for traffic lights' something of a farce. How slow is slow? 10mph? 25mph? And what is more dangerous, people stepping on the brakes when there is an empty road in front of them or even people lifting off the throttle so no brake lights come up at all. Surely it would make more sense if the traffic lights were simply timed to speed limit of the road ie if its a 30mph then the time the light is amber is calibrated to the stopping time/distance of a car travelling at 30mph.

Kingston, Surrey? I'm in nearby Twickenham. I usually try to avoid driving through the center of Kingston - not my favourite place for a drive :)

Lol 2/10 for troll rant. Have you ever been caught speeding?

It wasn't a rant at all. It was an observation, something you lack if you routinely jump red lights even at places you know to be a bit dodgy.

And no, since I grew up I've not been caught for speeding. Oddly that's because I don't speed, but I'm sure you'll choose not to believe as well. I care not a jot.

Since fitting my our cars with cameras, I think Ive noticed that I drive a little more considerately and carefully. Perhaps because I know in the back of my mind, that the camera wont just pick up other peoples bad driving, but mine too.

That guy in the video didn't "accidentally" go through a red light, it was a blatant "theres nothing coming, I know the junction so stuff it" running of the light.

• Like 1

Since fitting my our cars with cameras, I think Ive noticed that I drive a little more considerately and carefully. Perhaps because I know in the back of my mind, that the camera wont just pick up other peoples bad driving, but mine too.

That guy in the video didn't "accidentally" go through a red light, it was a blatant "theres nothing coming, I know the junction so stuff it" running of the light.

This, exactly, I also have a dash cam and am much more careful with my driving. Even though I have told my insurers, you don't legally have to produce this evidence in court, so I cant get myself into trouble, but id rather not have a video of me acting like a tit and wrecking the car.

Aaaaanyway. Ive bene caught speeding once, 4 years ago, and I have jumped 1 red light by accident in the 5 and a bit years ive been driving, I have also occasionally sped up to nip through a yellow, im sure 95% of drivers do, its just the way modern man drives.

The video shows blatant red light jumping when the vehicle had plenty of time and space to stop but decided not too, not very smart :nono:. Admittedly, the best thing to do would be to send the evidence to the police rather than a public forum, but in all honestly, no-one has been hurt by it posting here, his reg plate is clearly visible if you saw him driving down the steet and is probably captured by a good number of public and private CCTV cameras every day so unless there's something to hide he shouldn't mind it being posted on a car club.

BBK, send an email to your local PC, im pretty sure they wont do much as there clearly isn't a red light camera, and you are a police officer but he will get a written warning and it may save someone's life next time he decides not to do this.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Why bother reporting it? They won't do anything

I'm not sure at what level of severity they will take notice. They've certainly taken action when youtube videos of excessive speeding/lunatic driving have been pointed out to them.

Pete

Why bother reporting it? They won't do anything

I'm not sure at what level of severity they will take notice. They've certainly taken action when youtube videos of excessive speeding/lunatic driving have been pointed out to them.

Pete

Yeah I see your point, like bikers that post wheelies at over 100mph and have their number plates showing haha. Just don't think this is a big deal, we've all ran a red light before whether it was intentional or you didn't see the lights

+1

+2

Was THAT supposed to be funny, cos I ain't laughing. Frankly I don't see your worthless point.

Do I make mistakes of course but not intentional red light running. Its called common sense chap, to the fact I don't want points and there's always a copper lurking to catch you. Secondly I don't want to be involved in an accident.

At the end of the day Mr Block the subject is to the fact the driver in the video is blatantly running a red light, if he or you wish to do so then feel free, that's yours and his risk. Personally if I was crossing the junction either by foot or by car and either of you had run me down, I'd be making sure the book is thrown at you.

As others have said, Amber is a warning that red is imminent you must stop. Its not difficult.

I cringe at the level of incompetence of drivers for even the basic manoeuvres, its even worse seeing young drivers having habits of mature drivers at such an early start in their driving career. For instance drivers sat on the outside lane and not even a bean in the inside or middle lane, I mean WTF, these are the idiots on our roads today.

• Like 1