Picked up car, problems already!!

nowhereboy

I would take it back to the dealership.

I think if you went elsewhere it would muddy the waters. See how you get on once you take it back and let them investigate it first. You can always go elsewhere at a later point.

Is this the same car you asked for opinions on? The one that you were going to buy because it was conveniently located close to home? However were put off as you'd done some research on the garage that was off putting?

Just found some reviews of the garage that has this Z online and they are all bad. One even mentions the salesman I am dealing with by name.

Massively off putting.

I'm in a massive hurry to get a car tho so I don't have much choice.

Quick update lads......

The first car is now mine!

Got it for 5,800 but the car is getting the paint and the rear panel sorted too. I could have probably haggled a little further but to be honest I think I've got it for a fair price and I didn't want to take the ****.

He gave me the keys before the sale and let me take it out on my own for a good run.

All the millage checks out, HPI check clear, full years MOT and it's getting a service before I pick it up on saturday.

Seems good so far but I have really bad luck with cars so I expect something to break within a few month.

I think the EML light could simply be a failed sensor and bad timing - I mean it didn't show up on the test drive. You really need to get the code read.

Did the garage service the car and sort the paint etc out like they promised?

Sorry, I appreciate this post doesn't really help you much.

Edited by 14N

Can you record the flash sequence on a mobile and upload it after doing the pedal dance? we will then be able to tell you the code :)

^ this

OP record it on a mobile, it's not that hard to read.... you would have been bugger all use in the war trying to do morse code :lol:

Ach c'mon it takes a bit of learning if you don't know what to count - I didn't have a scooby the first time! :lol:

After reading through 4 pages of replies I have only one thing to repeat....

Stop panicking and read the ****ing code. Until you do that, you are flapping and pissing in the wind.

Print out the pedal dance How Too. Take it and your phones stop watch out to the car. Do the process, record the results, compare to list of fault codes , then come back and tell us.

• Like 1

First off, yes I bought the car from the garage with a dodgy rep, they stuck to their word and tidied up the paint and even replaced the side skirt for me before the test drive so I was happy to do business with them.

Secondly I have recorded the error code on my phone but I can't upload the bloody thing.

I have read it should flash ten times before the code starts but mine jumps straight into the code once I've done the dance.

Its coming up as 1 1 1 111 11111. Three slow flashes then the rest is fast.

I make that P1135 Intake Valve Timing Control, RH Bank 2

​Correct? Hope not, doesn't sound too promising.haha.

Edited by nowhereboy

I'd say that P1135 (difficult to know without seeing the flashes myself)

Intake Valve Timing Control RH Bank 2.

Any idea what that actually means then?

Searched that code on another forum and some people just re-set ecu and it doesn't seem to happen again.........

Update!

The car went back to the garage today, it still hadn't missed a beat since the first incident. The sales guy was really canny actually, I drove it straight into their garage and the mechanic put the code reader on it straight away. Takes one look and says "yup, its just a sensor" Had a quick fiddle about then reset the ECU. He said it's pretty common with these cars, he told me to see how it goes within the next couple of days....

After a slow half hour drive about everything seemed ok so I went for my first slightly spirited drive around some local country roads. It didn't miss a beat. Tho I am super paranoid that it's going to do it again while driving at pace and try to kill me.

I'm also super paranoid about every little noise I hear too, it's like I'm just waiting for something else to break. Hopefully that paranoia will fade in time.

On another note, this thing is so nice too drive, it's my first rear wheel drive car and it's so much more fun in the twistys than a hot hatch in my opinion.

Hopefully nothing else will arise in the next month and I will take it for a full check over with the guys at falcon when I get paid. I'm off to clean it again now (obsessed) :teeth:

Edited by nowhereboy

Hopefully it's just a 'blip' and it'll never happen again.

First I've heard about it being "common with these cars" (was almost a daily occurence on my TT). Now stop worrying and start enjoying the car some more. :drive1:

Edited by 14N

Good news :thumbs:

Sometimes these things just glitch for no apparent reason, but if the sensor does fail again in the next month or so I would still take it back to where you bought it from and get them to sort it.

If it happens again it will be going straight back in and I'll demand they replace the faulty sensor. I've actually had a couple of PM's from people on this forum who have told me the exact same thing happens to them occasionally, so it might not be "common" as such but I'm not the only one.

Anyway time to start enjoying the car! I will probably post some pictures of her up later once I've gave it a proper clean,

Its a good job you took it to the dealer. Always best to give them a chance to look at it first.

I once had a EML light come on, had it checked by Japex who said it was a O2 sensor fault showing, but that it is sometimes just bad fuel (and that they had seen quite a few recently). We left it at that, I carried on driving and the light has not come back on since.

It could just be a random blip.

• 1 month later...

Trade link ;)

That's not what I was getting at. It could be a place someone has dealt with before, could be a genuine error. Just need the full story, not the half bits. And if its a bad garage its good to now so people go there aware in the future.

NOT BOUGHT FROM US... JUST CLEARING THIS UP.

Trade link ;)

That's not what I was getting at. It could be a place someone has dealt with before, could be a genuine error. Just need the full story, not the half bits. And if its a bad garage its good to now so people go there aware in the future.

NOT BOUGHT FROM US... JUST CLEARING THIS UP.

Haha don't worry don't think it would make anyone think any less.