Robot Wars

Keyser

OK Here is a build thread from a few years ago!!!

But as BBK asked and a few others have said they remember the series I had a look through the photo archives (well Mrs Keyser did :thumbs:).

I can't find any of the completed robot and you are not allowed cameras in the studio but I did find some of the build from late 1999 and early 2000 - yes it was that long ago! :scare:

So we started by finding a mobility shop who said we could help ourselves to anything from his scarp pile out the back -

DCP01514_zps5f9324ea.jpg

Junk_zpsc4723af2.jpg

Please not that my trailer being post-box red, the garage doors being post-box red and the robot ending up post-box red had absolutely nothing to do with Mick (my father in law) being a post office engineer honest :blush:;)

My daughter assisting as always she was a bit younger then

DCP01515_zpsb13c7d94.jpg

Introducing Mick and me over 10 years ago :lol:

TheTeam_zps5edf8b46.jpg

Mick is a complete petrol head ex rally driver, has a fully restored MG Midget and Triumph Dominator and is currently restoring an E Type Jag :thumbs:

I vaguely remember we setup the workbench sketched a plan on it and went from there

DCP01518_zpseba1d6f3.jpg

testing parts and batteries

Garage_zps387e2a28.jpg

TheOrigins_zps285f78c7.jpg

The wood was the size of the frame see to what would fit

DCP01522_zps49bd70f3.jpg

Do you like my Blue hat?? OMG!

Frame construction

Frame1_zps58adc6c6.jpg

DCP01534_zps7fcba808.jpg

Welding22_zps2ddbc6bc.jpg

some wheels and motors

DriveMotor_zps76e73601.jpg

we filled the wheels with expanding foam so we don't get punchers - you will also notice (or not) the frame allows the wheel to protrude equally from the top and bottom of the robot - so we could run upside down. In fact Anagram was identical both ways up just the steering reversed so flipping us was not an option :)

Wheels batteries, front weapon motor in and rear weapon motor going in

MotorAligns_zpsee093ca9.jpg

FrameWheelsFront_zps872bef16.jpg

FrameWheels_zps44906b03.jpg

Stripping a mobility scooter controller

SpeedController_zps7dc3498d.jpg

Trying to design a remote control system using the original scooter joystick (prototype)

PrototypeController_zps0562bee5.jpg

The electronics were done indoors as it was winter :lol:

DCP01511_zps6b5b7d11.jpg

DCP01509_zpsd84c8982.jpg

The remote control

DCP01512_zps53f4dbfd.jpg

New ruggedized remote control controller mounted

RCController_zps755fd881.jpg

Sorry to say that's all we could find apart from my studio pass

Robotwars_zpse4213700.jpg

I have no pics of her finished and we never got as far as the TV events, we were in the heavy weight class and came in at 79Kg, we did get invited back the next year for the next series but the new rules were just mad, loads of safety devices required (after a BBC technician got injured by a runaway robot) and as the entrants were getting so good at building the robots the BBC wanted the competitors to indemnify them against damage to the house robots but if you got damaged it was your tough.

Also the series started to get boring as the robots got better it was just two lumps of metal bumping in to each other, the BBC needed to make the robots "worse" as the public likes a bit of destruction so we gave up and did other things.

Was great fun for a year though and we didn't just do the BBC wars, we got invited along to some charity events and school fetes. I do remember spending a very pleasant afternoon with some other quite well know robots smashing washing machines to bits with our robots in a school tennis court!

Ahh the good old days :thumbs:

K

Edited by Keyser

i loved that program, almost as good as scrap heap challenge. would love to get a team together for a scrap heap challenge

See you won't belive me but I know 3 of the compeitors from Scrap Heap challenge Bowser and his wife Babs I know through an old army buddy and have stayed with them up in London, he is a complete nutter (in the nicest possible way)

and Dick Strawbridge (he was on with his brothers IIRC) was my comanding officer for a while when I served with 30th Signal Regiment based in Blandford small world in it :)

EDIT: It may be small but it would take a long while to paint!!

Edited by Keyser

Keyser,

do you have a job? :lol:

Yes but I don't really do TV don't follow a football team, don't drink and very rarley go on holiday and to be honest I'm not very sociable (as in I don't like crowds :lol:) so when I'm not at work I have to find other ways to occupy my time.

O and I own the company so I get to work flexi time :thumbs:

I did Robot Wars while I was in the army though at the end of 1990 we were iin the gulf - happy days :scare:

Or if you want the truth - I'm just a billy no mates :(

That's very cool Chris. Can't believe how long ago it was though. I loved it!

I was on Robot Wars in the early 00s with a friend of mine. His dad built Macerick for season 4 and then Rick in Season 5 and I got to watch the first time and joined them in the team for the second trip. I was about 12 though so a lot of it seems quite vague to me. Met Phillipa Forrester and Craig Charles though.

We did a tag team event that only made it to American TV as well and we won that!

I don't have photos though. Think the videos are on YouTube...

Nice one MrE004 - I never got to meet Craig, I can just about recall being interviewed possibly by Phillipa - but the interviews only go on TV if you get through, we did have a live audience though and cameras were rolling but again they just show high lights and I don't think we ever made a TV spot even for a second or 2 :(

Still it's one to tell the grandkids :lol:

EDIT: I may have met your mates dat a school fete in Romesy or near there - they had about 10 robots on display - can't be sure though.

Edited by Keyser

Thats fantastic, use to love my robot wars!

Cannot beleive you said you dont like crowds, I thought you loved the attention at car meets ;) your not exactly ever lurking in the shadows and being billy no mates :lol:

Thats fantastic, use to love my robot wars!

Cannot beleive you said you dont like crowds, I thought you loved the attention at car meets ;) your not exactly ever lurking in the shadows and being billy no mates :lol:

Me ??? I'm Mr Shy and retiring always minding my own business standing quietly at the back, I even painted my car a subtle doesn't stand out in a crowd colour!

I think we should do a forum robot wars, but I have a feeling a certain team might win ;)

The 350z-uk mod/admin team have reserved a slot for Chris already ;):lol:

You're forgetting Bob, they come as a pair. Forum Mods and Admin are not allowed to snap up members, traders or REO's.

I think we should seriously contend getting us 'Modders' to get creative!

Forum Mods and Admin are not allowed to snap up members, traders or REO's.

Says who? My ban hammer says we get Chris and Bob :p:lol:

If we'd had more time we could have had a war at Wales :boxing:

I don't think we'd get our robots in the Zeds unless we ditched our +1's :lol:

You can't just demand the ownership of Chris and Bob, they're human and may want a choice :lol:

Hey Wasso there is actually a rumour on the forum that I may in fact be a machine so I may not get a choice!

Bob on the other hand does have an opinion and as soon as Mrs Buster or myself tells Bob what that opinion may be he will let you know ;):lol:

O I'm so getting flammed for that when Bob gets in from work :lol:

Edited by Keyser