D1 Spec Wheel Nut Destroyed!

Rajzed

Hi guys,

After a long hard day of trying to remove this snapped D1 Spec wheel nut, it now looks like this:

photo9sg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any ideas on how I could remove this nut?!!?

My rays are going in for a full refurb anyways, hence the damage is not soooo critical, however do need to keep the damage minimal. I have tried smashing in a slightly bigger torx screwdriver and it just shattered one side. I have tried chiselling at an angle to rotate the nut off. I have tried chiselling down one side to try and split it open. I have tried drilling a small hole down the actual nut itself to help split it. Nothing has worked! I even just tried spinning it now whilst the temperature is cold!

I have also go a 20mm spacer, so the stud that the nut sits on is luckily just the spacer stud, and not that of the actual wheel.

I'm open to any suggestions!

Jeez dude, that's a mess :(

Not really "here's a solution" post, but a suggestion. Apologies if you're already doing this. Are all 4 other wheel nuts still fitted? If not, I'd refit them. By tightening the other 4 up, it may release a little pressure on the mangled one. Whereas if you've just hot this one left holding the wheel on, it'll be harder to release the tension.

Just a thought :shrug: Best of luck mate.

If I was you having tried everything else I would drill the centre of the stud, start small and increase the drill bit size until it falls off, also only drill deep enough to remove the nut itself!

Not sure how easy it will be to source a new stud might be worth looking into before destroying it completely :thumbs:

Not the first time I've heard of problems with D1 wheel nuts. The problem with them is that they are made of aluminium and in most forms of Motorsport ali nuts are banned in the rules. Personally I'd always stick to steel nuts. Search on SXOC, Driftworks, The EP3 Civic forum or even google. This was a car which went into Garage D the other week, supposedly all 4 corners were the same.

• Like 1

Not the first time I've heard of problems with D1 wheel nuts. The problem with them is that they are made of aluminium and in most forms of Motorsport ali nuts are banned in the rules. Personally I'd always stick to steel nuts. Search on SXOC, Driftworks, The EP3 Civic forum or even google. This was a car which went into Garage D the other week, supposedly all 4 corners were the same.

Well said Dedman, Ive been banging on about this for ages. The usual response is "Well mine have been fine for xyz amount of years" ......... they are all fine until they fail.

What a mess!! These must be replica D1 Spec nuts? The market is plagued with replicas, nearly bought a set from ebay the other week but couldn't confirm whether or not they were genuine so thought better of it! At the end of the day these nuts are holding the wheels on!

The problem is that most people that buy fake D1 Spec nuts do not know about it and then complain and destroy their reputation. Fake ones are made from cheap aluminum, too soft, may as well chuck them after removing them as the thread pitch will be damaged. Genuine ones are crafted from 'strong forger aircraft aluminum' - to quote the company.

The problem is that most people that buy fake D1 Spec nuts do not know about it and then complain and destroy their reputation. Fake ones are made from cheap aluminum, too soft, may as well chuck them after removing them as the thread pitch will be damaged. Genuine ones are crafted from 'strong forger aircraft aluminum' - to quote the company.

And this is the whole point, there is no "stronger" alloy nut available, genuine or fake. The Rays nuts have additional strength in the the thread (which Im still not 100% on) but these pure alloy nuts are all the same, too soft. "Genuine" D1 nuts are just as likely to get chewed or even worse, dethreaded.

Aircraft grade aluminium could be the stuff they put on top of your inflight meal BTW ;)

• Like 1

The Rays nuts are not just made of aluminium, hence their name Duraluminum and as stated aircraft grade Aluminium (and that probably is the stuff we eat on the plane).

The Aluminium is blended with other materials as exampled below to increase its strength yet remain lightweight.

A commonly used modern equivalent of this alloy type is AA2024, which contains 4.4% copper, 1.5% magnesium, 0.6% manganese and 93.5% aluminium by weight. Typical yield strength is 450 MPa (65 ksi), with variations depending on the composition and temper.

Stainless Steel has a yield strength of 520mpa

Aluminium 6061-0 has a yield strength of 45mpa

Aluminium 6061-T4 has a yield strength of 110mpa

So Duraluminum with a yield strength of 450mpa should not be shunned off for just being 'Aluminium'.

It all depends on the lug nut and its construction type, as exampled above. Who's to say what the copy lugs are made of.

True Duralumin is not untrustworthy. Which I'm sure Rays wouldn't put their name to if they weren't up to the job.

• Like 1

Exactly as people above have said, I had them on my S13. The whole purpose of them being Aliuminum is that they are lightweight but because they are Ali they are weak, if any one insists on using them best to get them drilled out and a steel helicoil put in place of the Ali thread.

After my experience of them and how easy they are to chew up even tightening a wheel or using an impact gun I wouldn't trust them to hold my wheels on!

Hmm... looks like i'll be looking into the project kics earlier than expected, got D1's on my car at the mo, so next time the wheels come off i'll most likely have new stronger wheel nuts ready to go.

I know the guys in the US love the project kics, but what else do you guys recommend?

I know the guys in the US love the project kics, but what else do you guys recommend?

OEM for me, always. Never felt the need to change wheel nuts on any car, and if you just wanted them a different colour I'd get them painted.

I use Driftworks internal drive nuts, well up to the job and look alright too. I had Projects KICS Neochro's on a previous set of rims, they are sexy as hell but £200 is heavy cash for a set o nuts, no matter what anyone says :lol:

Tarmac - I doubt the OEness of the wheel would affect the strength of the nuts .......... I wouldnt use them on a pushbike TBH. ;)

Tarmac - I doubt the OEness of the wheel would affect the strength of the nuts .......... I wouldnt use them on a pushbike TBH. ;)

Most OEM lugs have a ball seat, aftermarket lugs usually have a tapered seat. Luckily I believe the Z alloys have a tapered seat also so aftermarket lugs should be fine (would be good to get that confirmed as my car is in the garage so I can't check):

lug_nut.jpg

Generally the seat type shouldn't be mixed, although you can get adaptors from http://www.tegiwaimp...s-adaptors-396/ :

alloy-wheel-lug-nut-conversion-washers-adaptors--389.jpg

• Like 1