Steerling lock issue tries to claim Rosie

Will370z

Oh boy, that was fun.......not.

With all the recent threads about the steerling lock issue on the 370z and my comments that "looks like we better get prepared for the inevitable" i didn't realise i would be tempting fate so early on.

Finished work and jumped in the car to be greeted with the yellow key light....oh oh

A quick google and yup, its the first sign of the dreaded steerling lock issue. Manual states "if the engine is off the car may not restart, if the car is running go your nearest nissan dealer immediately." - ok major panic now.

Phoned aldershot and they recognised the issue but didnt have the resource to look at it then, advice was go home and get the RAC........not helpful as i know what they will say.

Instead travel into the nearest nissan dealer just in time before they all leave. Left car running just in case and went in. This was the place that had previously ordered the wrong part 5 times in a row but i was desperate. I explain the symptons and my diagnosis. "never heard of that issue before"....oh dear - " so tell me why are nissan doing a recal on this issue in the US and i know of a number of people on the UK forums who are having this problem".

My worry was if i turn the car off it wont restart and it gets expensive and inconvient, if its running the can remove the fuse and provide a temporary solution. Engineer comes out, very helpful, its either of 2 things an immobiliser issue with the steerling lock or the key battery is low. They couldnt do anything then but recommended i go home and try the other key.

Rush hour trafffic oh what fun, dont stall or im a dead man...lol

Got home, then thought, lets try risk it, turned it off. Turn it back on....key light still there. pants. Get the key out of pocket. try again........no light........oh..........try again.....still no light. Go get other key and try that.......still no light........ and relax.

Looks like my pockets contain some kind of insulating protector that confuses the immobiliser system.

Still not entirely happy but car is starting fine.Very tempted to go remove that fuse to guarantee no issues but thats going to have an impact on security and insurance so i dont want to do that.

Maybe its just the key was dodgy at that moment. Who knows but maybe ive been let off this once...........

Panic over time for a whisky

Edited by Will370z

I had an astra vxr with keyless entry and start. I remember getting a yellow key ilght on no and again especially if i exited the car with the key in my pocket with the car running. Then when i got back in the light would be on. Never came to anything!

Surely yours is young enough to have the latest version of the lock fitted

thats what I'm praying with mine - but still another 18 months warranty yet

I used to have a similar issue with my Supra, happened a couple of times on the same street where my sparring partner lived, the AA said it possibly down to radio waves interfering with the key. No idea if he was right but it was odd it only happened on that street.

Hopefully it won't happen again

This issue is becoming increasingly all too common - sorry to hear that Will, and given the warranty expiring might be best to get Aldershot Nissan to see if they can get the fix done beforehand?

It seems the problem is for all 370's up to late 2010 models

See here for the fuse that needs to be removed - just make sure the ignition is switched to accessory mode if you do remove the fuse.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/66701-car-wont-start-steering-lock-issue/

Another reason..... Tick!

I doubt I'm going to move towards a 370 :thumbsdown:

Sorry to hear this Will, it seems you're having all the hassle. I feel for you I really do, and considering she's a gorgeous girl it almost makes me feel like she's high maintenance. You know what you'll have to do, upgrade to a 350?

(Awaits flack from all 70 owners)

Oh boy, that was fun.......not.

With all the recent threads about the steerling lock issue on the 370z and my comments that "looks like we better get prepared for the inevitable" i didn't realise i would be tempting fate so early on.

Finished work and jumped in the car to be greeted with the yellow key light....oh oh

A quick google and yup, its the first sign of the dreaded steerling lock issue. Manual states "if the engine is off the car may not restart, if the car is running go your nearest nissan dealer immediately." - ok major panic now.

Phoned aldershot and they recognised the issue but didnt have the resource to look at it then, advice was go home and get the RAC........not helpful as i know what they will say.

Instead travel into the nearest nissan dealer just in time before they all leave. Left car running just in case and went in. This was the place that had previously ordered the wrong part 5 times in a row but i was desperate. I explain the symptons and my diagnosis. "never heard of that issue before"....oh dear - " so tell me why are nissan doing a recal on this issue in the US and i know of a number of people on the UK forums who are having this problem".

My worry was if i turn the car off it wont restart and it gets expensive and inconvient, if its running the can remove the fuse and provide a temporary solution. Engineer comes out, very helpful, its either of 2 things an immobiliser issue with the steerling lock or the key battery is low. They couldnt do anything then but recommended i go home and try the other key.

Rush hour trafffic oh what fun, dont stall or im a dead man...lol

Got home, then thought, lets try risk it, turned it off. Turn it back on....key light still there. pants. Get the key out of pocket. try again........no light........oh..........try again.....still no light. Go get other key and try that.......still no light........ and relax.

Looks like my pockets contain some kind of insulating protector that confuses the immobiliser system.

Still not entirely happy but car is starting fine.Very tempted to go remove that fuse to guarantee no issues but thats going to have an impact on security and insurance so i dont want to do that.

Maybe its just the key was dodgy at that moment. Who knows but maybe ive been let off this once...........

Panic over time for a whisky

Exactly the same symptoms as mine Will ie intermittant at first. Also (like yourself) i had 1 month of manufacturers warranty remaining.

Even though the amber key light is not illuminating at present IT WILL happen again mate & fairly soon too. At that point your odds are shortening very quickly. Its all down to luck.

Forget the battery in the keyfobs...sure it can be that but it wont be in this case. Your dealer has now obviously logged the problem which is great. So now when it goes completely & immobilises your whole vehicle Nissan will sort it for you at their expense.

I logged the intermittant problem with the intelligent key light with my MD & then gambled. Result...had to have her flat bedded back to my dealer by the AA (1 week out of waranty). Because i'd already had the problem logged weeks earlier Nissan (Benfield Carlisle) were fine with me. As is usual for an 'out of waranty' they first had to have the repair approved by head office and then duely sorted it for me. There was a 2-3 week wait for the new immobiliser circuit box which was on back order. Came in from Holland i think. Courtesey car provided in the intrim.

Good result in the end for me but....HOW MANY MORE BEFORE AN OFFICIAL BLANKET RECALL NISSAN?????

Thanks for the responses guys. Im going to call them tomorrow and get it all documented and then get it booked in for them to look at. As you say it may be the start of the problem. Far too common an issue it seems and definitely inevitable :(

Cor thats a bit of a brown pants moment Will!! I'd make sure its logged ASAP with your preferred dealer to make sure should it die then they pick up the bill for recovery and fixing it. Also worth contacting NMGB that we are aware of the situation in the States and whats their position should you suffer the same fate.

Hope its just a glitch matey :console:

Well a little relieved today. No light on the dash this morning, but just to be safe i clear all the snow off the car and head to nissan aldershot toask their advice.

They were very reassuring saying it could be one of many things not just the immobiliser steeringlock issue but they couldnt tell unless the llight was on at the time and they could plug it into the diagnosis software.

Their advice is carry on driving it may be nothing but if the light comes on again take it to them and they will investigate. If the worst comes and the car wont start call the rac and get them to transport it direct to them, made me laugh when they said do not let the rac attempt to fix the problem.

They said given the issue has happened with 6 other 370s on the forum and the recall in the us its pretty much guaranteed that nissan will sort it all out without cost regardless of whether the car is under warranty.

In summary it may be nothing but if a problem does occur get the car to us and we will sort it.

Its nice to have a capable nissan garage nearby, especially when rosie has one of her tantrums.

Im no diagnostics expert but i'd have thought that the ECU would have recordered & stored the fault code the second the key light illuminated!!Suprised that it actually needs to be illunmnated in order to diagnose! :dry:

Good luck to you if you get away with replacing the full steering lock assembly but i'm afraid i'm somewhat pessimistic about the outcome here.

marco

Edited by marconorth
  • Like 1

They will have the historic error code in the ECu but that means little, they need to reset, start the car again and get the current error code to know what they are dealing with. They cant do that if the problem no longer occurs. Still we shall see, they have been brilliant with all my issues so far and said they will sort this if it occurs so for now im happy to trust them

• Like 1

Car had its first mot today, flew through with no issues whatsoever, they needed tovdo nothing which was great.

Also jumped in the car after it was all done and got a new warning light to say that the battery in my key fob was low. May explain the recent immobiliser warning light. Will be ordering new batteries tonight to see if that fixes the issue :)

Car had its first mot today, flew through with no issues whatsoever, they needed tovdo nothing which was great.

Also jumped in the car after it was all done and got a new warning light to say that the battery in my key fob was low. May explain the recent immobiliser warning light. Will be ordering new batteries tonight to see if that fixes the issue :)

Hi Will

Read the post in 370 general " key fob ".

I've got a few spare and they're FREE.

• Like 1

I always seem to be a harbinger of doom Will.#

You know what... my steering lock issue started with the' replace battery warning' icon too. I duely replaced with a new battery but ultimately the inevitible happened Re The assembly!!

I still think you have a steering lock assembly problem but i hope i'm 100% wrong.

# That said. you won't be particularly worried as your on great terms with your local NMD.

Have a top weekend mate.

Marco

Marco