Steerling lock issue tries to claim Rosie

Will370z

I always seem to be a harbinger of doom Will.#

You know what... my steering lock issue started with the' replace battery warning' icon too. I duely replaced with a new battery but ultimately the inevitible happened Re The assembly!!

I still think you have a steering lock assembly problem but i hope i'm 100% wrong.

# That said. you won't be particularly worried as your on great terms with your local NMD.

Have a top weekend mate.

Marco

Marco

You were correct, she died this morning.

You know what... my steering lock issue started with the' replace battery warning' icon too. I duely replaced with a new battery but ultimately the inevitible happened Re The assembly!!

I still think you have a steering lock assembly problem but i hope i'm 100% wrong.

# That said. you won't be particularly worried as your on great terms with your local NMD.

Have a top weekend mate.

Marco

Marco

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! You need to get that fixed pronto :)

Have a top weekend mate.

Marco

Marco

Gutted for you Wil.

Hope you can get a quick fix bud.

AA just been, car completely dead so couldnt get anything off the diagnostic machine.

Flatbed truck coming tomorrow morning to take me back down south.

Hope they fix it by friday.

Wonder how long before they do a recall in the UK

Got to work out how to get it up a 40degree drive backwards tomorrow morning. I thought the plastic cover about the rear single light was for the tow hook, apparently not.

Dont fancy 4 rugby players pushing at the front to get her up. May have to tow from under the car but that looks like a big no in the manual and is likely to catch the bodywork. Joy

Edited by Will370z

With the rear transit tie down bolt, if it's just for getting it up the drive. if careful it should be OK.

The AA flat bed will have a leccy winch on it.

Is your steering lock on or off? Mine was off which made it easier to load and move around to load and unload.

The trucks do have electric winches and they shouldn't use the towing eye to load on to the bed

Can the truck reverse up the drive to unload?

With the rear transit tie down bolt, if it's just for getting it up the drive. if careful it should be OK.

Is your steering lock on or off? Mine was off which made it easier to load and move around to load and unload.

The trucks do have electric winches and they shouldn't use the towing eye to load on to the bed

I thought that was the purpose of the towing eye, why do you say they shouldnt use it?

I thought that was the purpose of the towing eye, why do you say they shouldnt use it?

From what I have been told that they are often (generally not Nissan specific) not strong enough for the job and can pull out etc They will more than likely use the suspension strut sometimes using the towing eye as back-up.

Good luck Will mate.

We now collectivly know a lot about the symptoms/quirks & sequence of events that lead up to total failure of the steering lock assembly.

Mine failed in the unlock mode & so luckily i was able to steer her directly onto the AA's flatbed.

I was kind of lucky, in that my 370 failed facing downhill & didn't take a lot of pushing on. Mine (which is also lowered nearly 30MM) just about went on ok without use of a winch but tbh i was 'bricking it' as i guided my car onto the flatbed!!

Final note....It is very possible that the complete motor assembly (which you need) will be on back order. Possibly 2-3 weeks for Nissan to get the part into UK from via Holland. Once they get hold of the thing it can easily be swapped over in less than an hour.

Marco

is it a steep drive then ?

:worthless: of when they collect (sorry couldn't resist)

Ask and you shall receive.

This is the drive

BACA9FE5-E4AF-4604-956F-21A66F935E23-3065-00000410AA2E2270_zps17556b84.jpg

Thats where she died

F5CDCAA5-7B85-4F21-81E1-E9D1B0C0D165-3065-000004106DD4B872_zpsb8027074.jpg

No way this is going to fit, only just got up the lane

092F2FF6-F0BF-432C-AB58-8FD0ADF3AEC2-3065-0000041088916658_zps86a3c3d8.jpg

AA van number 2 to the resuce

83E9E19A-515D-4F3B-B5FB-5C34850B6480-3065-000004107BCCD570_zpsce5dcdd6.jpg

Towed me up the lane

2860A892-93C3-47A6-9297-5392C39D31EB-3065-000004108F931564_zpsacc342a2.jpg

Up and on

7781DBAD-38D3-4479-AA0A-B4BC88303339-3065-00000410B0E97D4E_zps8741ac19.jpg

What a fun way to while away a few hours, thank god the steering hadnt locked otherwise i would have been bu**ered.

AA blokes were brilliant, inspected the car in detail before and after and pointed out all the chips and scratches - thanks mate. Alloys were also clear and untouched - i was extra careful.

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 1

Good to see the AA pulling their weight. I hope I never need them, but good to know they can do the business if needed.

What a fun way to while away a few hours, thank god the steering hadnt locked otherwise i would have been bu**ered.

Sure the AA would have some wheel skates, that would have got Rosie moving, might have been a bit interesting guiding her up the drive though!