Car Wont Start - steering lock issue?

BigSlick

Hi,

Just got back in to the 370 and when dip clutch and press start nothing happens.

As some of you know only had the car a few months (October 2012) and its a 2009 (59) 370Z GT.

The battery light came on for the remote recently and ive changed that today after it wouldnt start but when I get in

the KEY light is on as it always on.

Called roadside assistance and I dont have any lol... I think an oversight on my behalf.

Anyway im gonna call Sky Insurance next to see if they have any cover with my policy.

So any ideas?

I wouldnt think battery with it being serviced in September and it started fine this morning on my way to parents.

On these cars I dont really know what to check for as ive never had keyless entry and start...

Im wondering if there is something simple/silly im missing because im an idiot?

Thanks

Bri :)

Sounds like the steering lock failure. Mechanism not disengaging, which you normally hear when you press the start button.

On the American forums people have temporarily got them working again by tapping them gently ( it's low down on the steering column) or disengaging the height adjustable steering and bang it up and down a few times...no idea if this will work I hasten to say.

Otherwise it's tow truck job I think. Hopefully others will have some input, but good luck. Expensive to get fixed, but hopefully you have some warranty.

Edited by philb1965

Hi,

Just got back in to the 370 and when dip clutch and press start nothing happens.

As some of you know only had the car a few months (October 2012) and its a 2009 (59) 370Z GT.

The battery light came on for the remote recently and ive changed that today after it wouldnt start but when I get in

the KEY light is on as it always on.

Called roadside assistance and I dont have any lol... I think an oversight on my behalf.

Anyway im gonna call Sky Insurance next to see if they have any cover with my policy.

So any ideas?

I wouldnt think battery with it being serviced in September and it started fine this morning on my way to parents.

On these cars I dont really know what to check for as ive never had keyless entry and start...

Im wondering if there is something simple/silly im missing because im an idiot?

Thanks

Bri :)

If you are close to us I would be happy to have a look for you. Does sounds like it is a key/communication or steering lock issue.

Yeah I think maybe. Checked lights and battery works.

Ill try the steering lock also im gonna get my spare key...

Ive tried changin the battery and it opens and locks the car...

brb... need to trek to get spare key lol in my dads car....... :(

This is spooky, haven't driven the car for a few days and I had a red light lit on the speedo after I'd started it this morning. Turned it off and back on and the light cleared. I now realise it was the key symbol....FFS...steering lock imminent failure I'm guessing, mines a 10 plate. Going into the stealers on the 30th for service, so I'm going to make them aware and see what they say.

The 2nd key doesnt work only light on dash is the KEY light

The Intelligent Key System Warning light...

But I thought that was always on?

Anyway now its on when I open the car and sit in it...

Still nothing?

Mines just OOW from end of September 2012.... :(

Only got 3months with the dealer I bought it from too... so that is due to expire this month if not already.

:( :(

I've just mailed my dealer asking for it to be replaced..don't ask and all that.

Worth asking Nissan to foot some if not all the bill as these are known to fail over the pond and here on GTRs/370s. I think there's a TSB for GTRs so why there's not one for 370s is beyond belief. Failing that see if you can ge one from a salvage 370? Might save a few quid. I'll see if I can find the GTR TSB.

My MY2010 370 did the same thing. Mine was a steering lock failure, it's a common problem with them and needs replacing with a newer revision part under warranty. They fixed it for the later 2010 models, but all 2009 and early 2010 versions have the earlier, flakier version.

Edited by TheMacDaddy

Well not good my 3 month warranty ran out on 3rd January lol from the dealer I bought it from...

So gonna ring the dealer tomorrow and also Nissan, but first off it needs to be recovered and taken to the Nissan dealer.......

Im literally gutted!

I cant beleive this, I bought 3 year old with 12k on clock.

I wonder if it can only being the steering lock failure?

:(

I just dont know...

I cant afford to pay for a £1000+ repair if it doesnt get fixed in warranty.

If it is the problem suggested, try and get the Dealer to at least get a 'goodwill' gesture from Nissan UK. Again, if it is the problem suggested above make the point that it is aknow fault on the 370 forums and given your limited mileage it seems a recall should have have been issued.

But no TSB or recall ......so far.

I had (another) search around on the US forums to see if there were any updates given they seem to have had a greater number of failures than over here. Pulling the fuse that controls the steering lock unit is a preventative measure and seemingly has no adverse effect other than the steering lock does not work, which may be an issue for some....

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IN BLUE IS LIFTED FROM OTHER FORUM POSTS SIMPLY TO HOPEFULLY HELP MEMBERS ON HERE.

A picture of the fuse that matters (the fuse box is next to the battery):

10d762f.jpg

You have to pull the fuse after you get the SLU to let the car go to ON or ACC. If the SLU is not making the microswitches properly, it does no good to pull the fuse.

If, like the OP, your lock try wiggle shaking and banging the crap out of it to jar it loose first. Blow a heat gun/hairdryer on it if its cold etc. You only need it to disengage one last time. Some have luck tapping it with a little hard object like a SMALL hammer or screwdriver. My understanding from reading various threads over the pond is that over-lube inside causes failure of some plastic bits and the little gear teeth fail then get hung up. Tapping might get it one last time, then once its unlocked you can pull the fuse and save a lot of money and a wasted day or two.

Sadly, replacement SLU's have also be known to fail!

But I really do feel that Nissan should be replacing a unit that is an inherent part of the car's security, even if there are no known failures (on the move) that have raised safety concerns.

I'm sorry mate but it is virtually gaurenteed to be failure of the electronic steering lock assembly.

EXTREMELY common with 2009 Zeds especially. Happened to mine just before Xmas (with 10,500 miles on the clock!!)

They are crying out for a recall on this over in America but up to press Nissan are failing to yeild on this now common issue.

Luckily mine went with 7 days of the manufacturers warrentee remaining! Even if it had beeen just out of cover i still think my local main dealer would have pulled out all the stops for me as i have a excellant relationship with the whole team there.

They even told me that if anything nasty ever happened out of warentee they would still do a very fair 'deal' with me. Always conforting to know :-)

See this thread

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/61751-key-warning-light-on/

If i can help further give me a shout

Marco

Another useful thread from the US Forum

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-warranty-scheduled-maintenance-servicing-repairs/12294-intelligent-key-system-warning-light.html

I've also had this, so for Nissan to not admit to a serious flaw worthy of a recall is very poor. I was lucky and had the replacement part fitted and the car towed to a NHPC done under warranty, my car is a 60 plate GT pack spec, bought from new.

The initial contact with the RAC who were first to be contacted to attend by Nissan was beyond a joke, the only useful thing the fella did was check the oil, FFS!! The subsequent low loader/transporter crew that were then dispatched to my aid were superb and arranged for a transporter that dropped the bed right on the deck and had to still use shallow angle ramps to load my Z due to it being lowered.

That wasn't all, all this took about 3 hours to sort out, on a winters eve and when I asked to be dropped off at home, I was told that, with no hint of irony, that they could drop me off at the nearest train station as it was a "one trip only" deal they had with Nissan, It was at my work that this happened and my car was parked on platform 2 Motherwell station!!!

The bloke realised what he'd said as soon as he said it :lol:

They took me home :teeth:

hey guys a little update on my lock it was due to be replaced today and ive recived a call from the dealer saying that they canot get the part untill 23/2/13 earlyest

as it stands my car sits in nissan for a month earlyest im seriously pi**ed

they have suplyed me with a curtsy car no z tho

nissan need to get there @*!# together

hey guys a little update on my lock it was due to be replaced today and ive recived a call from the dealer saying that they canot get the part untill 23/2/13 earlyest

as it stands my car sits in nissan for a month earlyest im seriously pi**ed

they have suplyed me with a curtsy car no z tho

nissan need to get there @*!# together

Don't accept that,if they are repairing it under warranty then tell them to get it repaired immediately and if they can't then tell them to give you either another Z or a GTR as a courtesy car. All warrany repairs should be conducted in a timely manner so if I was you I would cause a non agressive seen in the dealership whilst customers are around until they offer you something better than a months wait.