Full Plasti-dip...brave!

Simon+Kat

I'm planning on buying varrstoens for mine and was thinking of plasti dipping them white. It's bound to be cheaper than painting them with the option of returning them back to original status.

A mate of mine just fully Matt blacked his rx8. Haven't seen it in the flesh yet though

I do enjoy reading the comments made, especially the ones based on no actual factual knowledge or experience :lol: technically I think you can spray a second additive on to soften the plastidip and then touch up and allows for blending.

A colleague of mine at work who has a heavily modded impreza Sti Spec C had his car Plati-dipped in Matt Black over Christmas.

In terms of the quality of the job - it looks alright.

However there's no getting away from the fact that it looks a but crap. It cheapens the car somehow, and a few non-car people have mentioned how @*!# it looks and asked why the hell he would do that.

Before i saw his car, i would have considered it on one of my cars. After i've seen it, im pretty sure i now wouldnt.

I played around with black, and it looked crap, really it did. Squint from a distance and its ok, close up, its crap. Appreciate the price savings and effort put in on the blue one, but it really looked cheap. I am not an expert but it seems you can 'shine' up plastidip but I like to spend time polishing a car and getting it shining, plastidip takes that away from you.

Would you need to declare it to the DVLA? LIke you dont have to with the vinyl wraps?

I think the problem with it is that it's all matt, and in that I think only the "crazy" colours would look half decent. Bright orange might work or dare I say it, LIME GREEN! lol

Personally I think matt pain has had it's day and at the beginning of the craze, matt black looked awesome and stealthy, now it just looks tacky and outdated, unless it's on something like a Ferrari or 911 with some other colour accents to break up the dullness.

It'll always be pretty handy for cheaply refurbing some rims but for a whole car, I don't know, it's just to... meh.

Well after trying out the machine at work yesterday with painting walls' it's awesome. However if I used it on my car, I'd buy the premixed stuff so I don't have to bother thinning down the stuff myself to prevent mistakes.

Yes matt's might be boring, but you can glossify, metalise, or pearlise the stuff!

If you can make a spray a car with gloss plasti-dip that looks as good as vinyl then i'll eat my own words but I really dont think it will work. The gloss on the wheel video looked ok but on large panels it will look rubbish.....

The first thing I would want to know is what happens if you scratch it.? I would have thought trying to spray over it again would stand out like a sore thumb from the surrounding smooth area.

Before setting about on the car I'd spray a piece of scrap metal, scratch it and assess how easy it is to get a good standard of repair.

The first thing I would want to know is what happens if you scratch it.? I would have thought trying to spray over it again would stand out like a sore thumb from the surrounding smooth area.

Before setting about on the car I'd spray a piece of scrap metal, scratch it and assess how easy it is to get a good standard of repair.