Decats sound terrible

wanted

Chalk it up to experience, at least you didn't spend £800 on an exhaust on a whim without checking with anyone on the forum, then fit it an realise it is one of the loudest you can get :headhurt:

3 months later I spent another £800 on a quieter one, sold the old one and my ears thanked me :console:

I remember that exhaust and saying "go on dave take the bungs out and see what its like"

i's choose hi flows over decats any day, so much so I had a set custom built for my XKR

I've used hi flo cats before, although they claim the same performance as decats, they have never been as good for me. I was disappointed the last time i used them

but the difference between the 2 is no mpre that say 5-8 bhp, which you'd never feel the difference. it is only beneficial for overall pub BHP bragging rights.

if your desperate for squeezing every inch out of the dyno figure at the end then get the art pipes as they'll be your best option for reduced rasp. but with the restrictions and tightening of MOT regs i'd be more inclined for the hi flows.

I run japspeed decats on track and theyve never flawed! Gave them a proper pounding! I run decats with buddyclub system... silencers out always!

+1. Its a bit of pipe. Some Tommy Kaira ones will be made of lighter stuff and the welds will be better but it wont sound any different.

Also silenced decats will still be loud and they will still rasp.

but the difference between the 2 is no mpre that say 5-8 bhp, which you'd never feel the difference. it is only beneficial for overall pub BHP bragging rights.

if your desperate for squeezing every inch out of the dyno figure at the end then get the art pipes as they'll be your best option for reduced rasp. but with the restrictions and tightening of MOT regs i'd be more inclined for the hi flows.

I know what the figures say, but they don't always tell the whole story. From experiencing both on the same car, the decats left the car feeling more free revving and from then my mind was made up.

Like i said earlier i don't have any problems come mot time, so it's not an issue for me

I run japspeed decats on track and theyve never flawed! Gave them a proper pounding! I run decats with buddyclub system... silencers out always!

+1. Its a bit of pipe. Some Tommy Kaira ones will be made of lighter stuff and the welds will be better but it wont sound any different.

That was exactly my thinking, so i think the motordyne art decats are my best option

I just removed my cobra decats after 200 miles with a set of silenced ones I bought off the forum. Paired with a cobra ypipe and back box, I genuinly damaged my hearing. For over a week now my hearing is all muffled and I have a major case of tinnitus! I absolutely loved the sound driving round town and it seriously turned heads. I actually liked the raspy tone the decats gave but I just couldn't live with the drone at motorway speeds, it gave me a headache after 10 minutes! The cheap silenced decats I got have just turned the car back to normal, its as if i've put the cats back in. I now have to drive with the window down to really enjoy the sound. In saying that, ive only done about 7 miles so far with the silenced decats so im sure the tone will change with time!

For the record, I was charged 1.5 hours labour (£72) when replacing the cats and then an hours labour for changing the decats with silenced ones (£40 cash in hand!).

Chalk it up to experience, at least you didn't spend £800 on an exhaust on a whim without checking with anyone on the forum, then fit it an realise it is one of the loudest you can get :headhurt:

3 months later I spent another £800 on a quieter one, sold the old one and my ears thanked me :console:

I remember that exhaust and saying "go on dave take the bungs out and see what its like"

And I remember the blood running from my ears.... although going through the dartford tunnel with a buddy club de-bunged is an experience you NEVER forget :cloud9: sounded like a F1 car at Monaco :lol:

That was exactly my thinking, so i think the motordyne art decats are my best option

One question, why do you want decats so desperately :shrug: you can't declare them to your insurance can you? That makes you uninsured which is dodgy these days :surrender:

One question, why do you want decats so desperately :shrug: you can't declare them to your insurance can you? That makes you uninsured which is dodgy these days :surrender:

I told Admiral that I have decats, and then the XYZ pipe has the cat in there which passes MOT

They had no problems with it :shrug:

Yup, no reason not to tell your insurer. They don't make the car non road legal, they just mean it may or may not pass an MOT. :)

Personally I still wouldn't bother unless FI as gains are minimal but noise can be horrendous, but each to their own. I run a decat on the MX-5, but that doesn't need one for an MOT anyway and it wasn't any louder at all than the restrictive stock cat.

I've had japspeed decats fitted for about 2 years now. No quality issues at all and they get a proper pounding on my car being FI.

Coupled with the Invidia G200 true dual exhaust with mid-pipe silencers there is no rasp, no cabin drone and a lovely deep roar when your foot is near the floor but nice and quite when cruising.

I've had japspeed decats fitted for about 2 years now. No quality issues at all and they get a proper pounding on my car being FI.

Coupled with the Invidia G200 true dual exhaust with mid-pipe silencers there is no rasp, no cabin drone and a lovely deep roar when your foot is near the floor but nice and quite when cruising.

that's because FI kills exhaust noise

Turbos kill noise ;) Superchargers don't

I told Admiral that I have decats, and then the XYZ pipe has the cat in there which passes MOT

Just meant you should declare everything thats all :thumbs:

Edited by spursmaddave

Turbos kill noise ;) Superchargers don't

Do SC not have the same impact, or is exhaust noise killed because the turos recycle the gases after the manifold?

Just meant you should declare everything thats all :thumbs:

All declared :)

These cars don't give massive gains when mapped, so everything i'm doing is to get the max out of it when i do. The decats are for that, and the fact there is no need to change the backbox (according to Abbey Motorsport) until it rots, so they also make the oem exhaust louder. I've changed the y pipe as thats restrictive.

Anyway, decats swapped over today for the Motordyne ART pipes and Problem solved!!

There is a slight rasp, but a nice sounding one now, and the exhaust note is deeper :)