Decats sound terrible

wanted

exhaust is like a tuned instrument, change the diameter, bends, shape, length etc all have an impact on sound. I spent 6 months designing my own exhaust and then £1300 for it to be custom built. results =nice sound and no drone. Japspeed are one to avoid. nice set of berk hfc and you'll be a lot better. a lot of the rasp comes down to the poor design of the original system for noise. also if you went the decat route you'll need to remove them every 12 months for the MOT.

Berk decats, XYZ motordyne and Nismo backbox is a great combo :p but no way cheap

+1 Decats and MD XYZ is sweet. I've have had that for a while and it's only loud when you want it to be :)

Mine's loud all the time :lol: because of the 3" mid pipe after the XYZ :blush:

It's loud :scare:

biscuit have you any pics of your exhaust?

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

since then the car has been painted and de rusted under the car, the rear bumper has fallen off and a new aftermarket bumper is due to be fitted, thos also means a slight redesign of the exhaust at the rear to fit the cutouts in the new bumper. and the rust on the arches is about to be cut out qnd re welded as well. also depending on cash the plan id also to add in 2 exhaust bypass valves that will exit just infront of the rear wheels. long term plan is to put in a racing manifold but that's another £2k so going t save up for that. :lol:

biscuit have you any pics of your exhaust?

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

since then the car has been painted and de rusted under the car, the rear bumper has fallen off and a new aftermarket bumper is due to be fitted, thos also means a slight redesign of the exhaust at the rear to fit the cutouts in the new bumper. and the rust on the arches is about to be cut out qnd re welded as well. also depending on cash the plan id also to add in 2 exhaust bypass valves that will exit just infront of the rear wheels. long term plan is to put in a racing manifold but that's another £2k so going t save up for that. :lol:

Nice exhaust, very nice welding on the "X" pipe

I've been out for a while and clocked up 60 miles, it seems to be losing the edge on the rasp, so i'm warming to it VERY slightly

Told ya not to get Japspeed didn't I :p

:boxing::lol: lesson learned

exhaust is like a tuned instrument, change the diameter, bends, shape, length etc all have an impact on sound. I spent 6 months designing my own exhaust and then £1300 for it to be custom built. results =nice sound and no drone. Japspeed are one to avoid. nice set of berk hfc and you'll be a lot better. a lot of the rasp comes down to the poor design of the original system for noise. also if you went the decat route you'll need to remove them every 12 months for the MOT.

D

There's no drone at all, and it's very civilised under 3k, it's just the rasp but it seems to be dulling. I think the berk decats are what i'll replace them with. No mot worries for me :thumbs:

f it makes you feel better the od m3 witht e straight 6 had a raspy note and some people think it sounds sporty and racey.

That's exactly how i described it to my brother. I let him take it up the road and it did sound better from the outside.

you'll find a new rear box will add more tone. lower down the octave range, and more of a burble. it won't remove the rasp, and it won't hide it under high RPM, but it will make a nicer noise. the only decat setup that won't rasp is the motordyne art pipes as they have funny dildos on them that tune the rasp out.

• Like 1

you'll find a new rear box will add more tone. lower down the octave range, and more of a burble. it won't remove the rasp, and it won't hide it under high RPM, but it will make a nicer noise. the only decat setup that won't rasp is the motordyne art pipes as they have funny dildos on them that tune the rasp out.

Do you know where i can get some of those or a rough price?