Clay Kit.

WhackyWill

Yup, great little product. Bought a new meguairs clay bar today, quick whip round the front wing and it shows she needs a proper going over.

One thing i was thinking, surely dragging all the dirt and grime out with the clay and continually rubbing it over the paintwork is going to cause further swirls. Yes i add lots of lube with the detailer and i continuously remould the clay but surely its going to mark or am i wrong?

As long as you're not using a heavy hand you'll be fine. Listen and feel as you go along with the clay. Plenty of lube is key.

You'll be surprised how powerful clay is without applying pressure. Although I found the Megs clay needs a lot more effort in terms of strokes across the paintwork than other clays.

I buy this, as you get 200g, you can cut into about 6 slices. so it will last.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BILT-HAMBER-Auto-Clay-Bar-200g-REGULAR-/110908447282?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item19d2a89a32

This is there proper website, but you have to pay postage i believe

http://www.bilthamber.com/clay-bars

Designed to be used with water as lube, but i sometimes use a bit of dodo juice lube

As Wasso pointed out, lightly glide the clay across the paint, you will feel when its hitting grime, and you will feel when its been removed as well.

If the paint feels really rough along the bottom of doors and wings, i normally use something like TRIX which is Iron X and Tar X combo for removing Iron deposits and Tar. I use on wheels too.

Smelly stuff though and needs rinsing off well :)

• Like 1

I buy this, as you get 200g, you can cut into about 6 slices. so it will last.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d2a89a32

This is there proper website, but you have to pay postage i believe

http://www.bilthamber.com/clay-bars

Designed to be used with water as lube, but i sometimes use a bit of dodo juice lube

As Wasso pointed out, lightly glide the clay across the paint, you will feel when its hitting grime, and you will feel when its been removed as well.

If the paint feels really rough along the bottom of doors and wings, i normally use something like TRIX which is Iron X and Tar X combo for removing Iron deposits and Tar. I use on wheels too.

Smelly stuff though and needs rinsing off well :)

+1

Best stuff I've ever used

Yup, great little product. Bought a new meguairs clay bar today, quick whip round the front wing and it shows she needs a proper going over.

One thing i was thinking, surely dragging all the dirt and grime out with the clay and continually rubbing it over the paintwork is going to cause further swirls. Yes i add lots of lube with the detailer and i continuously remould the clay but surely its going to mark or am i wrong?

Personally i would only clay a car if i was going to machine polish it afterwards, i see it as the first step in paint correction.Basically you put marks in taking contaminants out, but the next stage removes these marks etc... etc... as you step down the grades of polish and pads.

Id agree, megs is a good start as the clay is rather firm. Im now using dodo clay with born slippy lube (a departure for mne since my entire cleaning ritual is meguires based). The dodo clay is very tacky to the point where it sticks to your fingers, you need to be carefull not to do it opn a hot day otherwise the clay melts and gets stuck to your paint. Happened to me once and took me 4 full washes before i got rid of it all :(

Id agree, megs is a good start as the clay is rather firm. Im now using dodo clay with born slippy lube (a departure for mne since my entire cleaning ritual is meguires based). The dodo clay is very tacky to the point where it sticks to your fingers, you need to be carefull not to do it opn a hot day otherwise the clay melts and gets stuck to your paint. Happened to me once and took me 4 full washes before i got rid of it all :(

Speed detailer and microfibre will remove it.

There's always one ! And on this occasion Im it.

What does using a clay bar ( which sounds horrific by the way) do for you that wax polishing won't. Is the differance in the appearance of the paintwork noticeable? Would it be noticeable on gunmetal ?

There's always one ! And on this occasion Im it.

What does using a clay bar ( which sounds horrific by the way) do for you that wax polishing won't. Is the differance in the appearance of the paintwork noticeable? Would it be noticeable on gunmetal ?

It picks up all the tiny bit of dirt etc that washing alone wont do, it will be a better finish to the touch and will look more glass like if done properly.

Megs is probably the one I've used most as its easily accessible (i.e. from Halfords) whereas a lot are mailorder. I've tried Sonus, but hated it and actually threw the other bar away, never used the Bilt Hamber one before but I'll be putting an order in soon for other stuff so may try it (although she's having a respray, so the Supra or the Pug may get the test run!)

• Like 1