GTR Factory

DoogyRev

Just watched the entire clip and very interesting.

Although they say that once produced they send it out to a chap to thrash it out on their test track, so the new customer is able to drive it on a track straight away. So why then did my mate when he got once was told to break the car in gently as per the warranty guide. For instance no rev's above 2.5k etc.

Apart form that great clip doog's

Just watched this, too - interesting article.

I wondered about the running-in, too. I guess the dealers are covering themselves against warranty issues, but you can also easily use a new engine too gently and not condition the bores properly.

I just want one even more now.....

Great film. That level of automation always impresses the hell out of me. In a way the factory is even more impressive than the car.

+1 especially when you bring a GTR into the midst of things, ensuring the right team are on hand at the right time, then hey presto there pops up an engine just in time to be married with the car.

Epic!

Great film. That level of automation always impresses the hell out of me. In a way the factory is even more impressive than the car.

It is truly a 'wow' place to see. If anyone has a chance to visit Japan, it is a great day out. Unfortunately you cannot just walk in. There are many hurdles to go through.

I had a tour of the Land Rover factory in Liverpool the weekend before the Evoque officially got released. Watching everything tie in together was amazing, I was particularly impressed by the fact they never keep more than 2 hours worth of parts in the factory at any one time and relay on logistics to make sure everything is in place. They even point the cars towards the sun during the winter so the windscreens defrost quicker allowing them to get them onto the lorries faster. Being someone who has no engineering background at all, it was a really interesting tour

Having been to the Tochigi Plant a couple of years ago and seeing them being built and coming off the end of the production line, I can confirm they are well and truly 'boken in' before they leave the production building. :)

If that be the case, why do they have to be driven with strict breaking in procedures for 2,000 miles. Just seems strange?

Having been to the Tochigi Plant a couple of years ago and seeing them being built and coming off the end of the production line, I can confirm they are well and truly 'boken in' before they leave the production building. :)

If that be the case, why do they have to be driven with strict breaking in procedures for 2,000 miles. Just seems strange?

Is a bit weird. Probably is more for the benefit of the new owner than the car then. Get used to it for a few weeks to stop you getting carried away and fanging it up a tree!

I'm not convinced, when my mate came round with his GTR I said come on then lets go for a spin. He said that he wasn't able to due to the strict guidelines.

Here's the procedures.

Until 300 miles (500 km):

Do not depress the accelerator pedal more than halfway and avoid rapid acceleration.

Drive with the engine speed kept at less than 3,500 RPM.

Avoid unnecessary quick steering, abrupt braking and driving on poor roads.

300 to 600 miles (500 to 1,000 km)

Avoid rapid acceleration in a low gear (1st to 3rd gears) with the accelerator pedal fully depressed. Depress the pedal slowly.

Avoid unnecessary quick steering and abrupt braking.

Drive with the suspension setup switch in the COMF mode to allow more suspension stroke.

600 to 1,200 miles (1,000 to 2,000 km)

Drive with the engine speed kept relatively high. Shifting is recommended between 1st and 4th gears

The guys at the test track clearly don't follow any of the above, so why would the "owner" be forced to follow the above, despite it being flogged round their test track?

After the 1,200 miles the car is then taken into their GTR dealership and given a full check over.

Is a bit weird. Probably is more for the benefit of the new owner than the car then. Get used to it for a few weeks to stop you getting carried away and fanging it up a tree!

+1 @ this - I was going to ask the same thing wasso having read the run in guidelines before

Awesome film! Watched it while having my exhaust treated to some new bits!

Enjoyed jumping in the zed and giving it some throttle!! Just a shame it's not a GTR, yet!

I'm also with you wasso with the bedding in procedure be good to ask at a Nissan dealer then showing them the end of the film see what they have to say about it

I'm not convinced, when my mate came round with his GTR I said come on then lets go for a spin. He said that he wasn't able to due to the strict guidelines.

Here's the procedures.

Until 300 miles (500 km):

Do not depress the accelerator pedal more than halfway and avoid rapid acceleration.

Drive with the engine speed kept at less than 3,500 RPM.

Avoid unnecessary quick steering, abrupt braking and driving on poor roads.

300 to 600 miles (500 to 1,000 km)

Avoid rapid acceleration in a low gear (1st to 3rd gears) with the accelerator pedal fully depressed. Depress the pedal slowly.

Avoid unnecessary quick steering and abrupt braking.

Drive with the suspension setup switch in the COMF mode to allow more suspension stroke.

600 to 1,200 miles (1,000 to 2,000 km)

Drive with the engine speed kept relatively high. Shifting is recommended between 1st and 4th gears

The guys at the test track clearly don't follow any of the above, so why would the "owner" be forced to follow the above, despite it being flogged round their test track?

After the 1,200 miles the car is then taken into their GTR dealership and given a full check over.

I was going to suggest before watching the video or reading all comments that its possibly about bedding the car in, suspension, gearbox etc, but if they're ragging the life outta it before you get it :shrugs:

Isn't it the same with the M3, M5 and M6?

And didn't they say when testing every GTR that they are then ready to go on track as soon as the customer gets the car?

But very informative vid, although getting my head around the claim that the weight is not an issue in terms of outright performance is not convincing me!