E46 M3 or E92 335i

stuarty

Driven both.... 335i all day every day. Plus is MUCH more tuneable then the E46 M3.

That's what I'm thinking. It all the car I will ever need. The exact car i bought new in October would be perfect but with the 335i engine instead of the 320i engine!

I'm looking at 335i's at the moment too, I need a family car and an estate to boot (Boom Boom!). Shame they didn't do an M3 Touring :(

The 335i engine is supposed to be immense, I'm looking forward to a test drive.

The general concensus is that it was detuned to distance it from the M3 - with a few suspension mods and a remap the real world pace is close to a M3, an aftermarket LSD is desirable though.

There are a few potential engine problems though, which are probably rarer than the interweb makes out but I reckon I'll get a warranty. It should cost around £40-50 a month.

After saying all that, if it's for a toy I'd get the M3 anyday :thumbs:

335i all day long, the M3s have problems with boot floors tearing, headgaskets and other niggles, they are very expensice to buy parts for. Plus everyman and his dog has one, the E92 with a nice spec will be much nicer to live with, better built, drives nicer and more comfortable and alot quicker after a remap whilst being affordable to keep going

Driven both.... 335i all day every day.

Why do you say this Wizard?

It's a smoother, better drive. If you like the tin-ey noise the E46 makes then that's the only plus side.

a few of my friends have tuned their 335s with very little money. New turbos, meth, etc... and the cars are very quick. There are so many options for that motor. Amazing value and can be driven every day.

Edited by wizard

It's a smoother, better drive. If you like the tin-ey noise the E46 makes then that's the only plus side.

a few of my friends have tuned their 335s with very little money. New turbos, meth, etc... and the cars are very quick. There are so many options for that motor. Amazing value and can be driven every day.

Interesting. The 335i certainly seems a force to be reckoned with.....

Edited by Leeroy

Interesting. The 335i certainly seems a force to be reckoned with.....

Have a lot of respect for that car. Few grand worth of mods and it's faster then the E92 M3. Doesn't sound quite as nice but still... booooosssttt! :drive1

If you can get an M3 CS then that would be my choice.

335i as said is an awesome machine but not 'special'.

I'd cherish a mint CS where as a 335i is essentially just a rep mobile with some serious lump up front.

My bro had a 135i and it's real world pace was staggering. They remap to about 360-380bhp with ease. Evolve are the boys to speak to.

Good luck with decision! :)

• Like 1

Bought a new E46 M3 ten years ago and it blew me away.

DMS chip,AC Snitzer exhaust and de limit made it better.

The raspy sound of that engine is on full chat is amazing.

Finding a good one and keeping it on the road now is going to be costly so it has to be

a weekend toy.

Good luck

If its going to sit in a shed why not get something really wacky like a TVR? My 335i i has been tinkered with and is a better drive than my old Z (also alot faster than the Z), but from the outside it might as well be a 318d..which for me is perfect, since its my daily drive. If I was buying something just to keep for the weekend, it would have to be something more interesting than a BMW. I wouldn't trade my 335i for a E90/92 M3 let alone a E46 M3, at the end of the day the M3 is nothing more than a tarted up 3 series, nearly all the suspension bits from a E90/92 M3 will directly bolt on to a E90/92 318d!!! 335i/M3 they are all built on the same chassis as your 320.

Edited by gangzoom

335i all day long, the M3s have problems with boot floors tearing, headgaskets and other niggles, they are very expensice to buy parts for. Plus everyman and his dog has one, the E92 with a nice spec will be much nicer to live with, better built, drives nicer and more comfortable and alot quicker after a remap whilst being affordable to keep going

Listen to this guy. He works for BMW.

• Like 1

If its going to sit in a shed why not get something really wacky like a TVR? My 335i i has been tinkered with and is a better drive than my old Z (also alot faster than the Z), but from the outside it might as well be a 318d..which for me is perfect, since its my daily drive. If I was buying something just to keep for the weekend, it would have to be something more interesting than a BMW. I wouldn't trade my 335i for a E90/92 M3 let alone a E46 M3, at the end of the day the M3 is nothing more than a tarted up 3 series, nearly all the suspension bits from a E90/92 M3 will directly bolt on to a E90/92 318d!!! 335i/M3 they are all built on the same chassis as your 320.

Virtually every panel is different on an M3, for me that makes it pretty special. Its hardly a tarted up 3 series compared with a 335i.

Incorrect fella, everything about the E9x M3 is different to the cooking models, Front subframe and suspension completely different as is the rear, brake setup etc, bodywork and dimensions. Its a different car altogether the only thing it might share with the E9x 3 series is the bonnet and boot roundels :lol:

However after a remap, FMIC, decat etc the 335i will beat an M3 in a drag race not around a track though

Who cares? 335i is a repmobile with a decent engine in, M3 is a beautifully crafted car with a peach of an engine and some of the best driving dynamics I've ever had the pleasure to drive.

I'd have an E46 M3 over an E92 M3, much more passion and soul about it IMHO.