Fibre Optic Broadband

spursmaddave

I've had fttc for quite a while, Halifax were one of the first to get fibre surprisingly.

Only get around 40Mb though, but that was a big improvement over the 2Mb I was getting when using copper.

I get around 4Mb from my Sky in Halifax, tempted to see what they can do with Fibre

Should be pretty close to 40Mb, there is less degradation associated with fibre than copper. The closer your house is to the nearest green box the better it should be.

Most also have a guarantee that you will get over 15Mb.

I usually get 35 to 40. Was sold iy on the basis of 60 and they claim its running at 70 so it may be the adaptor in my old netbook thats holding the connection back. Much galaxy sii reports similar speeds and not sure what its hardware capabilities are

Sent using Tapatalk.

Annoyed at bt they have missed the last 2 dates to switch on our fttc and now I have to wait another 3 months.

Same here, it seems BT have an "unoffical" policy of doing all the properties nearest the exchange first, guess where we don't live? :angry:

Our villages exchange was on the latest list published by BT as being scheduled for being upgraded to infinity in 2013. I enquired with BT whether the specific cabinet that serves our street would be upgraded.

No surprise to find that BT class our cabinet as "not commercially viable". They will happily enable the cabinets for the concrete jungle part of the village where they can all sit at home all day watching Jezza Kyle streaming in HD, while those of us that want it so it would enable more efficient home working, go to work and pay thousands out so those in the concrete jungle can use the money they get, for infinity...

I am even happy to fork out the 2-3k for FTTP on demand, but as our cabinet isn't commercially viable, I'll be out in the cold for a while.

Imagine my smiley face when a local phone box was all dressed up recently to announce "fibre broadband coming here soon" or words to that effect. Here's just how local that phone box is...

15evps.jpg

Are you confusing the exchange with the cabinet? I'm guessing that's it for your area, but it will be listed as being infinity enabled according to BT. Its the great big con. They list an area as being enabled, yet only half the people in that area can actually get it.

Looks like BT haven't heard of cable ties :headhurt:

369AB8A2-8963-4F5B-9E6A-D7D842D87F12-8963-0000063825859D02.jpg

That is just going to bug me now so I will have to sort it out at some point :lol:

Sorry to hear some of you are having to make do with a paltry 3mb :console:

I hear there are remote African villages that have better broadband than that :lol:

And yes Andy, I think they are trying to compensate for something.... although in the middle of this year they are starting work on a massive park along the A2 which will be a 2 minute walk from my door so that should be nice :teeth: Until then I have the Interweb :cloud9:

sorry I meant the cabinets, there is still one to do I think, and as we're a new build I would have thought all the wiring is new optic stuff.

Most houses are still copper to cabinet and FTTC is fibre to cabinet but still copper to your house.

Just checked and our exchange is Infinity enabled and I think the cabinet is at the end of our lane (I'll check that out on Google maps soon). The bad news is that the nearest fibre optic cable is over 4 km's away so unless they put the fibre optic onto the existing telephone poles we have no chance. The only thing I can look forward to is the replacement of a couple of km's of Aluminium cable from the 70's which should give me an extra half meg :lol: .

Pete

Just checked and our exchange is Infinity enabled and I think the cabinet is at the end of our lane (I'll check that out on Google maps soon). The bad news is that the nearest fibre optic cable is over 4 km's away so unless they put the fibre optic onto the existing telephone poles we have no chance. The only thing I can look forward to is the replacement of a couple of km's of Aluminium cable from the 70's which should give me an extra half meg :lol: .

Pete

:console:

Have a meg on me Pete :thumbs:

Meg-meg-ryan-1576294-1100-1394.jpg

I remember the days when I flashed Virgin modems for free internet access. I used MAC address from users near by and ran 20 Meg config files (Back then that was the most) I then ran 3 or 4 modems through a NIC car and got speeds like this.

That was free, for about 3 years. :)

Then Virgin updated to Nagra 3 :(

I have one of the cable boxes which is naff now:(

Pete

:console:

Have a meg on me Pete :thumbs:

Meg-meg-ryan-1576294-1100-1394.jpg

Just stick in the post Dave :).

Pete

Wow nice to see the FTTP stuff is working well! I your a lucky man dave must be in one of the trial areas as it's not a standard thing yet (due to cost).

Rich new housing estates will still be copper I'm already so most you'll get is FTTC.

Unfortunately the initial cabs that get it are in the most dense areas and your right usually full of scummers haha! All cabs will be done at some point but that also depends on what government funding BT get to do it as well as if it's financially viable. Our cab is on private land which means we'll be well down the line as they don't want to pay the costs of putting a new cab up.

Imagine most people will know this but it doesn't matter who your service provider is, you go down the same pair of wires and the equipment is usually the same in the exchange. very few sp's put there own equipment in exchanges tbh. Same goes for FTTC and FTTP to. unless you have Virginia in your area of course.

Also I agree ban smd! I :lol: