Little over-taking thread - what gear ?

Toad

Hi all so 2nd Month into my z and still loving it - people say novelty will wear off - I don't think so.

Anyway was going along country lanes at 60 in 6th gear,is that right or should I stay in 5th? Also when I drop gears down to overtake quickly would you go down to 3rd or 4th

Thanks

Choose the gear appropriate for the road and conditions.

If I'm pootling around on a dull straight country lane then I'll be in 7th, if I'm going for it I'll barely see 4th.

To execute a swift overtake you need to be in 2nd. It'll top out at 60mph, and if you need to speed to overtake then the overtake wasn't on in the first place. ;)

what a strange question :shrug:

3rd gear is my usual for fast overtaking but it totally depends on what speed i'm doing, what road i'm on, weather conditions, how quickly i want to get past someone etc etc

Drop that @*!# to 2nd yo! And watatatatata your way past!

depends... if im closing in on someone and the road is clear, no need to change gear at all, can just cruise past in 6th.... although for most overtakes i'd drop to 3rd for a quick one, or 4th for a slightly more relaxed overtake.

I'd rarely use 2nd for an overtake as a) you'd need to change gear halfway through the move, and B) if the gap was so short that i needed the power of second to get past safely, i wouldnt consider it a safe enough gap to overtake in the first place. Normally i find mid range torque is plenty for most moves, rarely do i exceed 5500rpm even with spirited driving (although that may change when i get a new exhaust).

if you are asking questions like this i think you need to go and do a bit of training in a safe environment and learn how to drive a car properly and how a car works

+1

Most people tend to gauge the other car's speed, then decide whether they need a lower gear or not for the overtake :bangin:

, rarely do i exceed 5500rpm even with spirited driving (although that may change when i get a new exhaust).

If i remember rightly my 313 didnt hit peak power until 6800rpm and with a redline of 7500 you can set the shift light at 7000 and change up then if your on a mission.

Really depends on the situation. If your sitting behind a car at 50mph then id probably drop it to 3rd to over take. If I was approaching a car which was doing 50mph and I was travelling at 60 or 70 then id just leave it in which ever gear I was in which would be 6th if im not in a rush or 4th if i was still accelerating.

For windy backroads, id seldom get out of 4th if i was pushing it, dropping it into 5th / 6th when cruising. But then im not one to want to travel at break neck speeds - preferring the handling & acceleration. Likewise, the 350z can happily poodle at 40mph in 6th before you need to change down.

theheff, I've been driving since 17 I'm now 45 and have never had a crash in my life, so I'm confident in my driving ability, I haven't had a 6 geared car before so just wondered generally what gear people drop it into, 3rd seems to feel right to me but it was just a bit of quiet post Christmas Forum banter before work kicks into full steam next week.

what a strange question :shrug:

3rd gear is my usual for fast overtaking but it totally depends on what speed i'm doing, what road i'm on, weather conditions, how quickly i want to get past someone etc etc

Drop that @*!# to 2nd yo! And watatatatata your way past!

I do most of my driving on A roads so i'm already doing quite a good speed so 3rd is always good. 2nd gear would certainly get me a very disapproving look from my other half :lol:

theheff, I've been driving since 17 I'm now 45 and have never had a crash in my life, so I'm confident in my driving ability, I haven't had a 6 geared car before so just wondered generally what gear people drop it into, 3rd seems to feel right to me but it was just a bit of quiet post Christmas Forum banter before work kicks into full steam next week.

That's where you''re going wrong.............................not enough steam :teeth:

This thread could go on and on lol But I do see the harmlessness fun we all have in us...(but won't admit it lol) 3rd does you fine usually I find, but depends on the speed of the thing infront of you, the distance til the next car/corner, you might be able to sail past in 5th depending on your speed (and im not talking mega mph here). Just ...if your not used to it, don't put your foot hard down in 2nd when its wet or even damp the back can kick out and the ESP thingy will cut in leaving you in the middle of a manouver with no power...which you don't want, feed the power in. But most of all BE SAFE :)

Edited by AMT250

Actually, there's a lot more to it than you would think. I personally only overtake if its completely safe and if I consider that I'm actually going to make some progress, over the years I've realised the futility of being in a queue of slow moving traffic and trying to leapfrog them one at a time. This is however a really good way to ensure that you max out the number of stonechips on your bumper, stress yourself out ,waste fuel and wear your brakes out :) . I very nearly came unstuck doing this some years ago when the car 2 in front decided to turn right without signalling. So I tend not to drop down several gears unless I'm passing a tractor or something doing 20 mph. I also don't think its a good idea to overtake a long queue of traffic doing 40-50 mph even on a dead straight road by putting your foot down to the floor and having a 20/30 or even greater mph difference between you and the cars you are overtaking. Self preservation mode kicked in quite a while ago for me :lol:.

Pete

This is another one of those Candid Camera threads that everybody laughs at isn't it?

Its so funny that they even printed the correct method on how to overtake safely in that comic called the theory test!

I am now going to do my Lexx impression. :bang:

Will one of the mods please lock this post lol!!

:lol:

Edited by 4RE Leather
  • Like 1