What to do with all my spare time?

stuarty

my grandparents farm hand leanrt lots of skills while he worked for my grandparents, he could fix most things and weld. when my granparents retired he had to find work else where.i think he ended up wroking for a truck company, but becuase of all his skills especially the welding he became invaluable made alot of cash as he could do so much more than the younger lads.

my old driving instructor worked out in canada for a while welding submarines; such a versatile skill. once you have it you can do so much with it especially in car restoration. start with MiG but if you can learn TiG thats where the money is. could even move in to fabricating your own exhausts. and if you can paint as well. your laughing.

Have you done anything on cars since your apprenticeship? Why not get back into that and like rich says tie it in with another course or 2

I know a guy running a company making good money doing alarms, parking sensors, sound systems etc etc and he loves it

I'm jealous of people making a living from a hobby like cars

I studied for 5 years for a MSc in Environmental health. Now with all the local authority cut backs i think it was a waste of time. I'm thinking about applying for graduate status with IOSH and training for chartered status and trying for a career in h+s

Personally i've been looking into whats required to become a car dealer. e.g. go to auctions, buy cars, sell them on. It's like my dream job! Not looking to do them up or anything, just detail them and advertise them for sale. I've got a large driveway and can fit 4 cars on there, so it would be a starting point... i wouldnt necessarily need a lot.

i've bought quite a lot of used cars over the years, and i always get talking to the independant dealers and it sounds perfect for me. I sit on autotrader just watching car prices in my spare time anyway, so i feel like i've got the knowledge to start me off in the industry. Even if i only sell 1 or 2 cars a quarter its a start... the best thing for me is i can do it alongside my full time job. Imagine that your job was to do a bit of googling to find a car, hop on a train to go and pick it up, then drive it home and prep it for sale. Depending on your target market you could be driving a different high-end car every week... Range Rovers, Mercs etc...

Maybe something worth considering.

• Like 1

I'm not. I used to be. I thought working on cars is so rewarding and fun and imagine getting paid for it! Then I did a few bits and for people. I can't be bothered with other peoples cars and a hobby then becomes a job and that is not something fun,

i love to play in my workshop, thats why its my job teaching others about it. for me i'd love to be my own boss.have my own workshop and do my own thing.but its just not viable for me to step out and do that. so i do things as hobbies. getting a wood lathe at christmas so i can get back into my carpentry properly.

was going to turn the garage into a mechanical setup for doing car work, but to be honest, i can;t get the jag in.and would rather eb able to shut the door and work with wood. such a great material and i love turning it into something. very rewarding. and a great hobby.

I think if I had all that time free I would do a photography course, and then spend the week taking pics of things, you never know you may be able to sell some of them :thumbs:

Or get a nice little part time job in the mornings mon - fri :shrug:

What do you do BTW?

I work in the NHS in central support.

Says it all really.... only in the public sector would someone be paid for working more hours than they actually do.... and we wonder why the NHS is such a black hole which sucks all our taxes away :surrender:

Not knocking the people that work in the NHS if I could work less hours and work more then I would but then if it was a business I would be slightly worried that we would go down the pan......

I'm not. I used to be. I thought working on cars is so rewarding and fun and imagine getting paid for it! Then I did a few bits and for people. I can't be bothered with other peoples cars and a hobby then becomes a job and that is not something fun,

Very ture, it is hard to take something that is fun and work in that field without it become a daily drudge..... not saying impossible just hard...

In my job we get the same for working sat and sun but we work during the week too.

Not knocking u. As its just the job you have. But the nurses I see. Working shifts have to go to work sat and sun for no extra as its their shift. Just seems ridiculous.

Anyway. I know your a dude but have you thought about something like reflexology??? My sister has just started a course and loves it. Plus at the end she can charge about 25 quid per half hour session and her teacher is always fully booked. Could be a second earnings for you or the missus.

Devote all your spare time to finding a woman/man for BBK, should prove interesting and apparently very nearly impossible (according to BBK) so it will definitely keep you busy. :surrender::lol:

Fixed that for you!

:rant: How many times do I have to tell you I'm not into men and hence not interested in you! Move on! Ffs! :rant:

:console:

getting a wood lathe at christmas ....................... i love turning.... very rewarding and a great hobby.

Start a thread after Crimbo Rich, I'll dig out some old piccies.

You would have loved my workshop a couple of years ago. Two Grad lathes(bowl and long bed),two lathes for miniatures. (my mate used to turn match sticks) And a metal lathe.

Plus lots of dust extraction stuff. That is one of the most important bits.

Bored.................I semi retired 20 years ago and have never got any time. On here know as I'm waiting for a phone call.... bloody NHS.. :rant:

My mate (worked out of my workshop) used to teach wood turning at night class in schools, and I used to help.

He is a hell of a turner though, member of 'The Worshipful Company of Wood Turners' an invite only jobbie.

(they never asked me :blush: :blush: :lol: )