What would you do?

JetSet

I'm hoping that it won't come to this but we may have to sell one of The Zeds early next year. Caroline's job is under severe threat and there's a possibility that she may lose her job as early as January and at 61 she probably won't look for another job.

So it boils down to which one of the Zeds should we keep? Both have got 14k on the clock, mine is a pre facelift 55 reg and Caroline's is an 08 (313) roadster. I'm sort of leaning towards keeping mine as I've had it from new and know exactly how its been driven whereas The Roadster was bought second hand with 7.5k on the clock. On the other hand, the Roadster is 2 and half years newer and probably the better car. It's going to be a tough choice to make as I've become rather attached to both of them :lol: .

Pete

BTW, Caroline works for Careers Wales, which is funded by The Welsh Assembly as a Youth and Training employment advisor. It says a lot when in an area of very high youth unemployment that you get rid of the people who place them into jobs, :shrug:.

I would agree, the roadster is more versatile and will be with more in the long run. As you have had yours since new you can prove the history it would be easier to sell.... Plus it's not roadster selling weather at the moment.

Really sorry to hear about your dilemma, it's never an easy decision.

If cash flow could become a problem dont forget the Roadster will ahve a little higher road fund license although over 12 months it's negligable (thats how I justify it).

I think you have a third vehicle for when practicality is required?! so on that basis alone I would keep the roadster, I know how much fun they are and Caroline's is a fine example.

Lets hope it doesnt come to this though and fingers crossed for her... oh and DoogyRev makes a very good point and may make the choice easier for you.... roadster may have to go cheap in winter though so keep your price high ;)

Thanks for all your inputs :thumbs:. Fodder, I do have Renault Clio but am planning to hand responsibility for this to my daughter in February. I don't really need it any longer. DBlock, the car is 2006 dealer registered but remained unused until I bought it in February 2007. It languished on display inside a car showroom for 13 months, no idea why. The low mileage is mainly down to me being retired, it wouldn't really matter what car I had but on the odd occasion I do venture out I'd rather do it in a Zed than say a Focus :). There's no real urgency to sell as there's no finance on either car and I can easily hang on till April/May before I make any decision.

I'll keep you updated, we should know before Christmas.

Pete

Thanks for all your inputs :thumbs:. Fodder, I do have Renault Clio but am planning to hand responsibility for this to my daughter in February. I don't really need it any longer. DBlock, the car is 2006 dealer registered but remained unused until I bought it in February 2007. It languished on display inside a car showroom for 13 months, no idea why. The low mileage is mainly down to me being retired, it wouldn't really matter what car I had but on the odd occasion I do venture out I'd rather do it in a Zed than say a Focus :). There's no real urgency to sell as there's no finance on either car and I can easily hang on till April/May before I make any decision.

I'll keep you updated, we should know before Christmas.

Pete

As long as you've got one of them for May ;)

Even though I have a roadster and I love it, my inclination would be to keep the coupe. I have been relatively lucky with my roof so far but I think it may be inevitable, with age, that problems develop some time...and we know they are not easy to solve. Just a thought.

Hey Pete, I truly hope everything works out and you don't have to sell either. I'm looking for a car right now and at the moment errrring towards a roadster. By all means let me know what you decide as I would rather give my money to a forum member and maybe it would work well for both of us.

Kind regards.

Sorry to hear the news Pete, I know sentimentally you will want to keep 'yours' but head says that you should keep the newer car although of course the HR Roadster will be worth a bit more if thats a consideration....

You could keep your wheels and swap them onto the Roadster now and again for sentiments sake.... :console:

We should hear something on the 9th December. Definitely more hopeful than before as the voluntary redundancy scheme was over subscribed and Caroline is the only one in her office with a formal qualification and she also has a good attendance record. If I do need to sell one of the cars it'll go on here first of course :) .

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

O.K, I now have an update. In general it's good news :thumbs: . We are 99.9% certain that Caroline's job is safe, it does mean that she'll have to travel to a different office once a week, where she'll have to pay a small fee for parking but she's pretty happy to do that. At least we can relax a bit now (and keep her Zed :D )

Pete