don't worry - not another 95/98 ron question

ioneabee

well it is actually, but fairly simple

have had to run on 95 Ron for the last 3 weeks due to no supplies locally of the 98+ stuff, just been topping up £15-£20 a time - but actually ended up doing about 300miles on it - anyway, normal service was resumed last night and was able to fill from "fumes" level to full (£97.00 worth :scare: )

so the question - the ecu has likely wound the timing back to protect (as I understand it :surrender: ) - how many miles (roughly) do I need to do before I can get back to normal "spirited" :drive1

no 98 octane fuel wont show any signs of detonation (google detonation) running 95 cause detonation so the ECU trims timing,

man, this fries my noodle!! you guys proper know your stuff!!!!

i will read up on this later, when i got a few spare hours

explain it to me after that will you :thumbs:

To put it in another way, running 95RON will not kill your car immediately but it will be making less power and also consume more in this protective state. You must remember than the car is tuned optimally for higher RON as is in Japan but has to be able to be used accross the worldso the ECU would adjust accordingly.

The higest we get here readiliy on tap is 99 so this is best. In germany i use 102RON and the zed really likes it :p.

For FI you would be running a risk of serious damage unless you have tuned maps for each fuel and even so you would also make less power with the cheaper stuff.

Bottom line is its false economy to run 95RON on the car unless you have no choice and need to top up for a short distance.

You must remember than the car is tuned optimally for higher RON as is in Japan but has to be able to be used accross the worldso the ECU would adjust accordingly.

Japanese model US model and UK model cars all run a different ROM number/s , the difference is the ignition map so they tune all the car for the different fuel supply in the country.

You must remember than the car is tuned optimally for higher RON as is in Japan but has to be able to be used accross the worldso the ECU would adjust accordingly.

Japanese model US model and UK model cars all run a different ROM number/s , the difference is the ignition map so they tune all the car for the different fuel supply in the country.

What supprises me most is that they dont have a 95RON map as standard. I guess it wouldnt look so good on the headline power figure, but it sure would stop a lot of threads on here :lol: Would also mean when we got them UpRev'd for Super Unleaded we'd get a nice power boost :teeth:

• 5 months later...

To put it in another way, running 95RON will not kill your car immediately but it will be making less power and also consume more in this protective state. You must remember than the car is tuned optimally for higher RON as is in Japan but has to be able to be used accross the worldso the ECU would adjust accordingly.

The higest we get here readiliy on tap is 99 so this is best. In germany i use 102RON and the zed really likes it 1.gif.

For FI you would be running a risk of serious damage unless you have tuned maps for each fuel and even so you would also make less power with the cheaper stuff.

Bottom line is its false economy to run 95RON on the car unless you have no choice and need to top up for a short distance.

I'd like to see some figures on that. Rather than just anecdotes, and statements like "the zed really likes it".

so what is the BEST fuel out there? from what company?

It's all down to the Octane rating. In any case all the fuel around here comes from Stanlow.........Esso, Texaco, Shell, you name them I see their tankers queued up at the terminal every time I pass. TBH, there's very little difference to the fuel made at any refinery in The U.K, they all use the same blend of Crude Oil and the specifications that gasoline is made to are very tight. Fuel additives are also made to a tight spec. Back in the days when leaded petrol was the norm I used to do octane ratings when I was on nights and cetane ratings on diesel too, it was industry practice to round the numbers up so 98.6 would be rounded up to 99. Not much left the plant that was actually 99.

Pete