Choice between a Cayman S or BMW M3

Jay

To be honest if your worrying about £400 extra on the insurance then I would think again....

I wouldnt say I am worrying Dave.. but I am going to pay alot more for a 911 and then have the usual outlays. So I am trying to be sensible and add things up before I just jump in and buy something :thumbs:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`'d choose the Porsche. While I know M3s are meant to be amazing…they're just so boring to look at…in my opinion wouldn't turn any heads :thumbdown:

The Porsche would not turn my head any more or less than then BMW :shrug:

I think they are both equally capable cars, if it was my decision practicallity would most likely be the deciding factor :thumbs:

to me an m3 looks like the other 100 bmws you see a day. I'd say on average I see about 1 Porsche a day

Thats cause you live in fife :lol:;) I have to say .... i see loads of m3's and porsches around glasgow area.. just cant decide on which one to go for :lol:

Tough call mate..Have driven the latest Cayman S and I must say the sound of the engine behind your seat and the whole sporty feeling you get in one of these is impressive! On the other hand a M3 is definitely more practical. Any idea about the running costs of an M3?

Love both cars, if its just me and Lucy, it would be the Cayman, if we are lucky and have kids it would be the M3.

Just as a left field choice have you looked at the x150 jag, that's the new shape Xkr. Easily in budget, its not as much of a barge as the old x100 shape like mine. Plus the supercharged 5 litre v8 is very good. Loads of creature comforts. Even nicer place comfort wise than the Cayman. And you can get 1 mate in sideways along the back. The convertible version is even more fun.

Isn't the e90 m3 silly heavy?

E46 was heavy enough, I wouldn't have called it a fun car, more of a fast saloon.

996 gt3 felt very, very driver focused and an entirely different beast to the m3, but even that doesn't rock my boat.

Your mate has a corvette eh? ;) ISF would be pretty nice too.

Jay don't take this the wrong way as I really don't intend it to be but you don't strike me as someone who is particularly hard up, from the way you talk your pretty stable, well sorted, expensive rock purchased and just love your metal.........why not get something properly nuts like a Sagris :cloud9: or a Mazzer.

Yes it will break but you'll be a fully blooded petrol head by then. :thumbs:

haaha I wish that I could afford a TVR mate, but I need to be fairly sensible about the next purchase. I dont think an m3 or and cayman s is a bad choice. Irfan... I dont really want a project car mate... I did toy with the idea.. but I like the luxury side of sports cars now... cant be doing with the 10 year car and then spending a fortune on it etc etc.

Tough choice.. I have been offered a cayman s for a decent price and I am tempted. Going to go see the m3 today I think aswell. Here is the cayman s:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/uk/clie ... 1&caller_=

Jay,

I nearly fell asleep when I opened that link to the Cayman :yawn:

In my opinion, NEITHER are going to turn any heads. LOTS of people will think your a jumped up **** in EITHER car. NO-ONE will let you out at junctions in EITHER car.

In the M3 people will think your the local gangster wannabe.

In the Cayman, people will think you couldn't afford a 911.

Thats said, I do actually like both cars, but the above is a lot of peole pre-conceptions about the cars and their owners. None of the above would stop me buying either of the cars but it what people will think.

For though, it would be the M3 all day long. It gives you so many more options than problems it gives you. In the cayman your only ever going to be able to take you and your Mrs anywhere and boot space is restricted.

If and when you and the Mrs have kids (they aren't always planned you know ;) ) if your in the Cayman your gonna have to sell up........you could buy the M3 and not need to change cars for years :)

Jay don't take this the wrong way as I really don't intend it to be but you don't strike me as someone who is particularly hard up, from the way you talk your pretty stable, well sorted, expensive rock purchased and just love your metal.........why not get something properly nuts like a Sagris :cloud9: or a Mazzer.

Yes it will break but you'll be a fully blooded petrol head by then. :thumbs:

haaha I wish that I could afford a TVR mate, but I need to be fairly sensible about the next purchase. I dont think an m3 or and cayman s is a bad choice. Irfan... I dont really want a project car mate... I did toy with the idea.. but I like the luxury side of sports cars now... cant be doing with the 10 year car and then spending a fortune on it etc etc.

Tough choice.. I have been offered a cayman s for a decent price and I am tempted. Going to go see the m3 today I think aswell. Here is the cayman s:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/uk/clie ... 1&caller_=

Jay,

I nearly fell asleep when I opened that link to the Cayman :yawn:

In my opinion, NEITHER are going to turn any heads. LOTS of people will think your a jumped up **** in EITHER car. NO-ONE will let you out at junctions in EITHER car.

In the M3 people will think your the local gangster wannabe.

In the Cayman, people will think you couldn't afford a 911.

Thats said, I do actually like both cars, but the above is a lot of peole pre-conceptions about the cars and their owners. None of the above would stop me buying either of the cars but it what people will think.

For though, it would be the M3 all day long. It gives you so many more options than problems it gives you. In the cayman your only ever going to be able to take you and your Mrs anywhere and boot space is restricted.

If and when you and the Mrs have kids (they aren't always planned you know ;) ) if your in the Cayman your gonna have to sell up........you could buy the M3 and not need to change cars for years :)

LOL trust you Liam.

Remember this will be my weekend toy as will have the Navara soon enough :) Well someone on here has made me a good offer on my 370z sooo it got me thinking and these are the only two cars that I like within my budget. But what people think of me because of what I drive doesnt really bother me if am honest. Come on we drive nissan's lol people see that as a poor mans tt :lol: I will let you guys know how I get on with the cayman s tomoz.

For me a Cayman is not 'special' enough to be a weekend car. It's a Porsche, which means it's strength is as an everyday sports car, but not exciting enough to send a tingle down your leg on a Sunday morning when you think about going for a blast.

I'd be looking at more of a Sagaris or Exige etc. Or maybe even a leggy Ferrari 355 perhaps......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4158917.htm

:)

For me a Cayman is not 'special' enough to be a weekend car. It's a Porsche, which means it's strength is as an everyday sports car, but not exciting enough to send a tingle down your leg on a Sunday morning when you think about going for a blast.

I'd be looking at more of a Sagaris or Exige etc. Or maybe even a leggy Ferrari 355 perhaps......

Oh dear... no I am trying to be fairly sensible on this guys. I have always fancied a porsche and decided I will have one before am 30.. so at a ripe old age of 25... I think I need to scratch the itch of owning a porsche :blush:

Oh dear... no I am trying to be fairly sensible on this guys. I have always fancied a porsche and decided I will have one before am 30.. so at a ripe old age of 25... I think I need to scratch the itch of owning a porsche :blush:

If your being sensible, then there's nothing sensible about having a weekend car. If you were being sensible you'd take the work car and put all your money into buying a house ;)

If your being sensible, then there's nothing sensible about having a weekend car. If you were being sensible you'd take the work car and put all your money into buying a house ;)

Sarnie... I am being manly sensible lol.... still need a nice car :blush::lol:

I think the problem with a lot of Caymans is that they appeal to a slightly older demographic and are therefore bought in sales rep grey without a sports exhaust. Saw one in "dark azure blue" with black painted alloys the other day and it looked pretty good. The exhaust note is extremely dull though isn't it? And as for the interior :sleep: . Get a 1989 911 3.0 SC in guards red with a whale tale instead :cloud9:

On the other hand, M3s are exclusively bought by 23 year-old chavistanis. It's just not worth the black eyes you will incur. Which is a shame because it looks ok for a BMW and is allegedly a very good car.

have to agree with sarnie on this, if its only a weekend toy i'd be looking in the TVR cupboard; if i had the cash spare for a toy i'd want it to be something that makes me smile when i go for a blast. the M3 and the cayman are great daily's but for a weekend toy i;d want more.

"Chavistanis" :lol: legend...

Glad ur not bothered about car stereotypes Jay cos every car will have someone with something to moan about. A few people saying m3s don't turn heads? I cant take my eyes off them when I see them

Just dont get white, there's about 6 m3s I regularly see and 5 are white :lol:

have to agree with sarnie on this, if its only a weekend toy i'd be looking in the TVR cupboard; if i had the cash spare for a toy i'd want it to be something that makes me smile when i go for a blast. the M3 and the cayman are great daily's but for a weekend toy i;d want more.

But you need seriously deep pockets if you want to go exotic like tvr as we all know something is bound to happen. Thats why I thought the m3 / cayman are still great cars and fairly safe.

Lol I know what you mean irfan.. seen a few white m3s kicking about. Was offered vinnies m3 off monster unit aswell but I would prefer to buy from a stealer so I get a warranty.