Estate Agent problems, what would you do?

chettle

My sisters just rang me, shes currently in the process of moving flats in Reading, her tenancy is about up, and shes got somewhere else ready once the solicitors pull their fingers out...

the problem is... the estate agents have been showing people round her flat without her knowledge.

Saturday they turned up unannounced, and just let themselves in, my sister and her boyfriend were sat on the sofa unaware.

Since this happened, they got talking to their neighbour, who then told them that they had also been shown round my sisters flat by the estate agents on the 1st August. My sister was back in Nottingham at this point and had no contact from the estate agents about it!

Shes emailed the estate agents a couple of times but had no reply, im angry for her!

Ive told her to contact CAB, as im sure this is a breach of contract?

What would you do?

There should be a clause in the tenancy called something like the right to quiet enjoyment.

It basically means your home cannot be invaded by the landlord (or agent thereof) without prior notice.

I would suggest emailing again and stating that should a satisfactory response not be received the police will be notified of a break in the next time it happens.

as a landlord you technically need to ask permission to enter the premises. many dont though.

we always ring our tennants first and arrange an appropriate time. or we knock on the door and ask.

how may tenants you got Rich ?

as a landlord you technically need to ask permission to enter the premises. many dont though.

we always ring our tennants first and arrange an appropriate time. or we knock on the door and ask.

how may tenants you got Rich ?

2 tennants.

also dealt with landlords when renting at Uni.

check your rental agreement first,

if your through a rental agency send an email or letter of complaint, this shows logged paper work then, then depending on your rental agreement you can take further action.

Basically estate agents are arseholes. People moan about bankers etc but its these people who are the worst. I would vote for anyone who would regulate them into a new world. All of the ones I have met have been both thick and arrogant.

Careful with your words ! My wife is in estate agency and I don't feel that she comes under your ignorant description.

My sisters just rang me, shes currently in the process of moving flats in Reading, her tenancy is about up, and shes got somewhere else ready once the solicitors pull their fingers out...

the problem is... the estate agents have been showing people round her flat without her knowledge.

Saturday they turned up unannounced, and just let themselves in, my sister and her boyfriend were sat on the sofa unaware.

Since this happened, they got talking to their neighbour, who then told them that they had also been shown round my sisters flat by the estate agents on the 1st August. My sister was back in Nottingham at this point and had no contact from the estate agents about it!

Shes emailed the estate agents a couple of times but had no reply, im angry for her!

Ive told her to contact CAB, as im sure this is a breach of contract?

What would you do?

Email is fine and worth doing so you have a record, but email is easily ignored. I'd also suggest a telephone call and ask to speak to the manager. Keep calling until he or she agrees to speak to you. As others have said there should be something about this in the tenancy agreement, but in essence it is not acceptable to just turn up and let themselves in without giving any prior notice. If your sister works, it may be reasonable to agree with them that they can show people around between certain times when she is at work and by prior appointment with her when she isn't.

Basically estate agents are arseholes. People moan about bankers etc but its these people who are the worst. I would vote for anyone who would regulate them into a new world. All of the ones I have met have been both thick and arrogant.

Careful with your words ! My wife is in estate agency and I don't feel that she comes under your ignorant description.

with any trade there are good examples and bad examples

but it tends to be with estate agents there are more bad than good. i dealt with alot there are a couple of agencies i've black listed in my area completely some where i will only deal with specific people and the rest can get stuffed. and just 1 agency that i think is actually good at their job.

I'm glad to hear your wife is good at her job, and if i was in your area and needed an agent, i would be straight down to see her if she is good.

but have to agree the system needs a major overhaul and some decent regulating put in place. concidering how much they charge and what the job actually entails alot of them are self inflated egotistical w@nkers/bitches. the invention of things like rightmove.com etc have made a huge improvement because its reduced the amount you actually have to go in and talk to agents.

if some one set up a no bullsh1t and honest agency who answered the phone and returned calls, with sensible fees and a real customer orientated service would make an absolute killing in some areas.

No direct offence meant its a comment that has come from having consistently bad experiences with them for many years as a tenant in london and now as a buyer. Im sure your wife is very nice and perhaps represents a good apple in bad barrel. Im normally quite reserved in my opinions but I have had so many bad experiences with estate agents that its quite an emotional issue for me

You know what every industry is generally made up of 90% tards and 10% quality

- Mechanics are always semi inbred on licence thugs who are determined to squeeze every penny out of you

- Insurance call centre operatives are always one braincell off being a single cell organism who simply cannot understand why quoting you £400 more for your renewal when all you have is another years no claims is annoying

- Policemen were bullied children.

- Bankers are all red braced twunts driving Audi TT's (to be fair we are).

- Mortgage brokers are all lying slimy twerps who swank about in their supercars and currently reaping what they have sown

- Truckers murder hookers and usually drive wearing suspenders and high heels

- People who work in Kwik Fit are only 3 chromosones from being a small piece of bager poo.

- Halfords rip you off and only employ teenage retards.

- Car salesmen are people who were too smarmy to be estate agents

- Social workers are all middle aged, hippie, liberal lesbians

- Plummers are genetically unable to view a simple job and actually provide a simple solution without lots of air sucking through teeth and a 20 minute explanation about why your job is going to be particularly unusual and difficult (ergo expensive).

- Anyone who works in Compliance will refuse to actually give you any conclusive guidance about anything ever but will be more than happy to reject every proposal you have with smug glee.

- IT Support do not know any other solution that 'have you turned if off and rebooted?........yes.....well its broken then'.

- Anyone who works in Subway undoubtedly receives health and safety training yet cannot seem to grasp that wearing plastic glove and then stifling a cough with your hand is kind of missing the point.

- Bus drivers are unhappy........all of them, all of the time.

- Taxi drivers......no matter how much you trust them.......even if its a family member.... you can never be sure if they're taking you the long way or not.

But we all know thats just a load of sterotypical bollocks and actually there are amazing people hidden away in these industries.

I was talking to a mate the other day and I said "you know what I've come to realise? Through your life you surround yourself by like minded individuals and you only notice the odd people of the world now and again. Recently though its become clear to me that actually your little bubble of people protects you from the world at large which is actually populated by 90% absolute mongtards"

The tenant has a right to quiet enjoyment and has the right to have at least 24 hours notice of any appointment. The tenant also has the right to refuse access to the property and an agent/landlord only has the permission to enter the property without the tenants consent in case of an emergency.

Having said that the tenant is also bound by the terms of the agreement to co-operate with viewings for either sale or re-rent of the property.

Is the property managed by the agent or has she been dealing directly with the landlord throughout her tenancy? If the property is managed, I would find out if the agent is accredited with ARLA or NALS, if they are I would write a letter to the Director of the company and send it recorded delivery stating that she will only allow access to the property with 24 hours notice or she will raise an offical complaint through the scheme that they are accredited with.

If she has been dealing with the landlord I would speak to him and tell him that you are not trying to be awkward but you have rights and are not happy for his appointed agent to waltz in willy-nilly.

If she is concerned about her belongings she can change the locks but she must provide the agent/landlord a key at their request (It might make them think twice.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Mrs Keyser

This happened to me (about 10 years ago). The agent told me they would come at any time in the last 2 months without telling me..

I politely informed the agency that they did not have permission to enter the property without my agreement. I then told them that since this was my legal right, and that I was sure they were legally responsible, that I would have to assume anyone entering the property unannounced was a burglar. I then said that in that situation I would be in fear of my safety, and my girlfriend's, and use reasonable force to remove the cause of that fear as quickly as possible.

They never tested that...

Can't say anything different from what others have already said.

Good job they were just sitting on the sofa and not getting a bit steamy on it!!! :blush:;);)

Hes hardly insulting your wife though, is he? We all know it, recruitment consultants :wave: , used car salesmen and estate agents have the worst reputation and theres generally no smoke without fire. The common theme? None of them need any training and have very little, if any regulation.

have very little, if any regulation.

Aside from us banks there are very few industries who do have any sort of meaningful regulation..........even garages are only monitored I suppose is the right word by Trading Standards and even then its usually one word against another.

In fact most tertiary (is that even a word?? I seem to remember it from school and I think I've used it in the right context!) industry is unregulated as far as I can tell.

Do some homework, they are quite well regulated, however if the likes of the "shady lot" dont abide by the rules then there in lies the problem.

Oh quick, get out that tar brush.........

I dont like the thought of everyone in estate agency being rated as " arseholes" because my wife aint one, regardless of being in this career.

And did we forget the Inland revenue? what are they classed as? You cant take your money elsewhere with that lot can you?

Try a "professional" estate agency and you may have a refreshing out look on them, pay the fees and get a good service, pay on the cheap get a crap service.

My wife is actually in lettings, and if the OP wishes to PM me to ask her a question related to this, she will oblige in a fair, "free," conversation with the OP.

She will give the OP all the regulations from the book, and advise her on the best action to take within the law and regulations of lettings.

Hes hardly insulting your wife though, is he? We all know it, recruitment consultants :wave: , used car salesmen and estate agents have the worst reputation and theres generally no smoke without fire. The common theme? None of them need any training and have very little, if any regulation.

Try a "professional" estate agency and you may have a refreshing out look on them, pay the fees and get a good service, pay on the cheap get a crap service.

we have tried lots, and i'm sorry but their does seem to be a high amount of ineptness in the industry. to the point we do our own letting now.

every profession has its tar brush

according to the tar brush; as a teacher i'm theortically a kiddy touching retard who couldn't make it in the real world. the old those who can't; teach; those that can't teach; teach PE :lol:

like with anything i'm sure if your wife is good, she will always be busy and well regarded by the people who come to see her.