Spacers

JoshThePonce

For 5mm, then you can keep the studs youve got. 10mm is getting borderline, anything more than that you want longer studs.

Dont be put off by the scaremongering, lots of track and drift cars run spacers without any problems, in fact Im surprised at the thread on the GTR board as Ive never known any fail at all, the 5mm ones simply cant fail due to their design anyway.

Ive been running 25mm spacers all round on my Z33 for 3? years now, fast road, track and drift use and its never even once entered my head that there could be a problem due to them, I know guys running 35-50mm without issues too :)

For 5mm, then you can keep the studs youve got. 10mm is getting borderline, anything more than that you want longer studs.

Dont be put off by the scaremongering, lots of track and drift cars run spacers without any problems, in fact Im surprised at the thread on the GTR board as Ive never known any fail at all, the 5mm ones simply cant fail due to their design anyway.

Ive been running 25mm spacers all round on my Z33 for 3? years now, fast road, track and drift use and its never even once entered my head that there could be a problem due to them, I know guys running 35-50mm without issues too :)

I'm just slightly concerned about what Ebized said :surrender:

well said. :teeth:

Knowing near to nothing about spacers, whats the reasoning for them? Just to push the wheel out a bit more? Are they still safe on road? (on track it seems the majority dislike them)

The only real dynamic reason for spacers is to stop wheels rubbing on big brakes/suspension struts. The main reason they are used though is to make cars look better, but this doesnt mean that your car is going to explode when you fit them. :D

josh - the post showing the GTR is incredibly rare and unusual, it certainly shouldnt happen when using any kind of decent quality spacer anyway. The forces that would be involved to do that on a 5mm spacer as you are talking about are incalculable, the physics just wont let it happen. Youre in the clear mate :D

I know in essence the 5mm spacer i posted wouldn't be under any real stress as it's not actually attached to the hub or attaching the wheel to the hub. But as Ebized said is there a possibility it could get squashed between the wheel and the hub due to the amount of torque applied through the nuts?

I wouldn't expect this to happen with a good quality spacer but im namely talking about the one i posted in the ebay link. As the sellers response stated it was cast alloy, would that be plenty strong enough? :shrug:

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure before i take the plunge :blush:

EDIT: http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tire ... -lugs.html <----- people saying you'd need longer studs? :wacko:

Knowing near to nothing about spacers, whats the reasoning for them? Just to push the wheel out a bit more? Are they still safe on road? (on track it seems the majority dislike them)

The only real dynamic reason for spacers is to stop wheels rubbing on big brakes/suspension struts. The main reason they are used though is to make cars look better, but this doesnt mean that your car is going to explode when you fit them. :D

josh - the post showing the GTR is incredibly rare and unusual, it certainly shouldnt happen when using any kind of decent quality spacer anyway. The forces that would be involved to do that on a 5mm spacer as you are talking about are incalculable, the physics just wont let it happen. Youre in the clear mate :D

To add to that -what I said above and what you have queried relates to warped discs caused by poor quality slip spacers (3mm added to good quality 20mm spacers in my case) that simply 'squashed' in places that led to the spacers not running true with the discs and hence the warping.

As said above, if use good quality spacers there should be no issues. I went to a drift meet on Sunday and you ought to see the size spacers some of those guys are running 60mm+ and given the forces they are put too it more often that not it is the drive shafts that fail but then with 1000whp+ going through the hubs from locked diffs in some cases ........... :scare:

Why is it everyone gets on the band wagon and says the brands they have actually heard of are the best of the best and they are all you should buy.

What make's Eibach spacers that much better?

People need to learn to stop being brand whores. Simple.

:snack:

They are one of (probably) a few brands that don't fall off whilst in use. The reason, as has already been said, is r&d and quality control - no wheel spacer should fail whether used for trackwork or otherwise. What if you had to do an emergency stop whilst swerving to avoid an old dear on a 'normal' road and the spacer failed? This isn't rocket science :bangin:

Like you I try to avoid following the herd by buying what everyone else is but sometimes it really is the best option. Recently I was very tempted to fit a lot of Whiteline bushes to my car but after extensive research couldn't find enough quality reassurance or recommendation for them and went Superpro, despite them costing a lot more :shrug:

the 20mm and 25mm spacers used by a lot of members on the forum to fill the arches make a noticable difference to the stance of their cars B)

i know your only talking £15 but whats the point will 5mm really make a difference?

i understand if its for clearance issues but if its purely for appearance i can't see it being that noticable :shrug:

but whats the point will 5mm really make a difference?

i understand if its for clearance issues but if its purely for appearance i can't see it being that noticable :shrug:

Just pass that onto Jay please

15mm all the way Jay :p:stir:

• 3 weeks later...

No question about it, you are definately MAD.

What price is a life?

As per our previous PMs and the link to GTROC I guess that you now must realise why I only sell Eibach spacers.

Your car, your life, your decision. :surrender:

Alex :)

I can vouch for Alex. He only sells the best and I bought front and rears off him and proberbly running a few more horses than you. Yes There are cheaper ones out there but I could not find a negative article written anywhere about Eibach.

Most of the time comments and advice are sound on here and are made with good intent.

:thumbs: