Shocking Nissan HPC experience West Way Manchester

Alex C

West Way Rochdale were OK with me, usual salesman talk etc but as soon as they realised I was serious they cut all the bull and hunted down for a deal. Also had a good experience with the Service Manager at West Way Manchester.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of main dealers are all the same. Im struggling to think of a good experience ive had with one.

When I bought my 350z roadster, I got a test drive, although it was about 3miles long, 10mins max if that, I couldnt get out of 3rd gear due to the traffic and the only time I managed to try the acceleration was 1st gear off some traffic lights. Still, I bought the car as it there was only a handful for sale nationwide.

For servicing, when I took it back to the dealer I bought it from to have them check on something, they gave me the keys to a brand new 370z roadster and told me to keep it until they finished with my car which was 48hours later. Another dealer I went to, more locally took 50minutes to do a 15minute job and included revving the hell out of my car in the workshop to impress the other mechanics.

Its not just Nissan though. I remember when I was hunting for a sporty diesel hot hatch for my ex missus, we went to Peugeot and they didnt have a single 207/208 diesel in stock for us to drive and didnt know when they would get one in. Seat didnt have a LEON 1.9TDI in stock either and so they gave us the keys to some 3 cylinder crappy version and said take it for a spin for 30mins. We just drove it home, left it in the drive for 20mins whilst we had some lunch then drove it back and said no.

Renault on the other hand were much better. They gave us the keys to a clio dyamique s 1.5 dci (115bhp i think it was) which was fully loaded with factory extras and told us to come back in an hour. We had a great test drive in it, then had a good negotiation with the sales person who actually after much much haggling amazingly agreed to the price I asked for which was considerably less than the asking price.

My most recent experience is with BMW, and ive got mixed feelings about it. I popped in one lunchtime to test drive a car they had in stock. They said that maybe an hour wouldn't be long enough so I should pop in in the morning when we can have longer. Sounds good and im thinking great a nice proper testdrive. So I pop in the next morning at 9am, thinking they would look at my driving license, let me have a drive so I can decide if I want the car. No. They actually spent a good hour with me in the showroom getting my details etc. They then look around my car and spend ages talking to me about what sort of budget do I have, have I considered finance, how about PCP? etc. etc... All I wanted was a 30minute test drive, but even that ended up taking well over 2 hours. "so, are you prepared to buy the car today sir" ? err... i havent even driven the bloody thing yet.

After the test drive, which again was only about a 10minute drive as "its low on fuel". They tried every typical sales trick in the book and negotiation was extremely hard. Im the sort of person who sees a car, wants it and buys it there & then for cash. The same when I sell something. I normally happily drop the price for a quick sale. But BMW was very hard work. Loads of the usual "I must speak to the manager", and after I finally walked away, loads of phone calls to me saying they can knock £50 off a £26k car... wtf... This was all when it was the last day of the quarter too, when "apparently" sales people are more desperate for sales. In the end I did manage to knock them down a little bit, but still ended up paying £3k over what I wanted for it. Then, when it came to doing the part ex and them processing my old car, my god, they had no idea what they were doing and it involved all sorts of me messing about with DVLA and BMW to try and get them to process things correctly. In fact 9 weeks on and im still waiting for my tax disc refund.

told you marshalls were good :lol:

Used Marshall Ford for donkeys years with good service, so they were my first port of call when I went looking for Zeds.

Alas, I could barely get them to give me the time of day initially =/ Things got rapidly worse when they refused to budge on list price, so I proffered an advert for an unreg'd GT Ed 70 miles up the road with a substantial chunk of cash already lopped off, along with some soothing words along the lines of 'Look, you're my local dealer, I'd like to use you but you're not even close at the moment.. what can you do / can you get close to this?'

The sales manager promptly detonated in the most spectacular manner, tearing apart the professional rep of the other dealership as I sat there agog, and we quickly parted ways. For ever. Which is slightly annoying as they're literally on my doorstep for servicing.

Something has gotten hilariously mixed up with modern car sales methodology when you can walk into a dealership and they don't seem interested in selling you a car.

Hi all - Long time 300z and GTR owner but just wanted to share a bad experience with 370Z owners as well.

I've just returned from West Way Manchester after being basically refused a test drive in a used 370Z by the used car sales manager Neville Goddard.

Firstly some background (all explained to the original salesman) - I currently own an R33 GTR but would like to have a more modern car as an everyday vehicle rather than a 500bhp machine in the garage and another runabout. We are in a position where we could pay outright for the 370Z, although a large deposit and some financing while the GTR is sold was an option.

Having phoned up over an hour before and booked the drive, my girlfriend and I arrived and made small talk with a Sales team member and I made it clear that I had a budget of £20-21K and wanted to compare to other cars in the same price bracket (B7 RS4, 335i). Although the 370Z in stock at the dealership was listed at £24k, another in the West way group was listed at £19995 with just 8500miles, with a specific mention that group stock can be moved to closer dealerships if required.

I considered it perfectly reasonable that I could drive a car that was in stock nearer to us to see if I like the car as a daily proposition.

In short, we were told that they would only let us drive a car that was within budget as "it costs them money to do test drives" and "we get all sorts coming in wanting to test drive cars".

As a customer experience manager, my girlfriend immediately demanded to speak to the manager (we were!) and then asked for the Nissan customer complaints number to speak to them directly and we were also told we could not have this and "you just phone Nissan".

Basically, they had made a totally incorrect judgement that we were not in a position to buy. As you would imagine, this left both my girlfriend and I extremely angry and belittled.

I have a car that would paste a 370Z in most departments apart from age and upkeep, surely as an owner of two 300ZX and an R33 GT-R with a brand loyalty, I have acted reasonably here?

One thing is for sure; I certainly will not being buying a 370Z, yet again Nissan Customer service has lost itself another potential sale, and I would certainly recommend everyone here to avoid West Way Manchester HPC at all costs.

I'm sorry but I think your being a bit of a cry baby.

Dealerships are business' looking to earn money. You stated that you was not interested in the car they had for sale; therefore why would they spend their time and money on you when you've already stated your going to buy elsewhere.

Your mistake was thinking it's ok to tell them that basically your wasting their time. You should have said you were interested in the car they had for sale and then said you'll get back to them in the end.

It sounds like you expected to turn up, and because you've bought a few Nissan's in the past, that the Sales Manager would roll out the red carpet for you................

Surely if you have what you perceive as a bad experience with a dealership over test driving a car, then yes on that count I would deem it reasonable to go elsewhere to buy a 370.

However. you now say you are now not going to buy a 370 period!

If you were serious about buying one you would swallow and go elsewhere.

The bit I dont understand about your post is the relevance to owning a car that in your words

"I have a car that would paste a 370Z in most departments apart from age and upkeep, surely as an owner of two 300ZX and an R33 GT-R with a brand loyalty, I have acted reasonably here"?

Why would you feel the need to bring this up on a 350/370 forum! as the message that is coming across to us is that you feel you are superior by having a car thats 500bhp and will paste a 370z.

Think Kev T and a few others might comment on that!

Hopefully like most Nissan dealerships. Westway are reading this and may comment themselves!

Maybe you both rubbed each other up the wrong way!

However if you are serious about buying from a dealership that will treat you with respect and you don't mind a trip to West London

I can give you a contact.

B)

I'm sorry but I think your being a bit of a cry baby.

Dealerships are business' looking to earn money. You stated that you was not interested in the car they had for sale; therefore why would they spend their time and money on you when you've already stated your going to buy elsewhere.

Your mistake was thinking it's ok to tell them that basically your wasting their time. You should have said you were interested in the car they had for sale and then said you'll get back to them in the end.

It sounds like you expected to turn up, and because you've bought a few Nissan's in the past, that the Sales Manager would roll out the red carpet for you................

I started typing this 2 days ago and gave up because I couldn't in any way word it constructively!

Must admit, Sarnie's got a point.

I'd never admit to a salesman that I wasn't going to buy a car from him, as that's just going to put him off straight away and probably with good cause. I do think the salesman could've handled it better, however we don't know if the OP marched in with an attitude or not so that could've been the reason for the hostility. Not saying that is what happened, but if you feel you're being fobbed off you're likely to get the hump which makes you even more defensive, and that then annoys the other guy further etc.

It's all about the attitude. If you're polite, pleasant, make the right noises without committing to anything then you'll always get your test drive.

Guys - think you might be missing the point with that one. With West Way you can move cars from the group around. The sale goes to the one that acutally sells it. I did this with my original 350z, Basingstoke didnt have one, but another in the group did, so they moved it to Basingstoke where I bought it. I think thats what the OP was trying to get at, it just so happens that they also had another one at his local dealer, although it was too expensive. To try and save some hassle the OP said he'd drive the one they had, but I think they thought he was just after a joy ride.

Either way, go find another dealer and get a proper test drive ;)

Having phoned up over an hour before and booked the drive, my girlfriend and I arrived and made small talk with a Sales team member and I made it clear that I had a budget of £20-21K and wanted to compare to other cars in the same price bracket (B7 RS4, 335i). Although the 370Z in stock at the dealership was listed at £24k, another in the West way group was listed at £19995 with just 8500miles, with a specific mention that group stock can be moved to closer dealerships if required.

I considered it perfectly reasonable that I could drive a car that was in stock nearer to us to see if I like the car as a daily proposition.

Read it again Chris. Salient points;

- Phoned up over an hour before - wow! Not really lots time for a dealer to move the car about clean it organise staff such as who is doing the test drive etc.

- I made it clear that I had a budget of £20-21K and wanted to compare to other cars in the same price bracket (B7 RS4, 335i). *Salesman's alarm bells going off* He's sensing someone who is not here to even potentially buy a 370z never mind the actual car they have.

- I considered it perfectly reasonable that I could drive a car that was in stock - I would bet my bottom dollar that this was only discussed when he arrived therefore the dealer is thinking "this guy was bored on a saturday afternoon and on his way into town thought he'd have a razz in our most expensive car on the forecourt to show off to his Mrs. He then proceeds to bore me straight away about buying other cars and having seen another cheaper car at another dealer"

And judging from the OP's posts he obviously thinks he's some sort of Nissan Royalty. Maybe he should have worn his "My other car is a 300zx". Bet he would have got a test drive then :lol:

I wear my club fleece :teeth::lol:

OK take the point. If it were me I agree that I would have made it at least look like I was only interested in their one then later say it wasnt the right one but they do have another in the dealer network. Guess the OP was being too honest and the salesman was just a bit of a ****

I did what the OP did when I bought mine. Rang Glyn Hopkin in Stortford, told them I was interested in buying a used Zed ragtop, they got a silver one in for me at the weekend, drove it, liked it, didn't want one in silver though. They then showed me the others they had in the network and I picked a rather fetching blue one to have a closer look at, and that came down the following weekend for a test. The rest is history.

I don't think there are many non 'premium' brand garage who have quite mastered the art of making you feel like a friend rather than a customer like the premium guys do.

Its all part of the sales pitch isn't it..........

"yeah here's the keys to the 70k Porker.......please be careful I'll brew us up a pot of finest fairtrade coffee while your out. "

As opposed to

"well do you have the money in place? You'll have to book in for a test drive you know? The management have confirmed we must accompany on all test drives booked 3 weeks in advance. Is that your 400bhp drift monster in the car park????............eerrrrrrrrm nope we're all out of Focus's"

:lol:

Here's another point. How many people have gone out to purchase or look at a car with a particular budget in mind, test drive a car, and the budget goes to the wind. Any good dealer should realise this. But obviously they should have the knack for knowing if someone is just there for a joy ride.

Two Ford garages told me that I needed to put a deposit down on a Focus RS before I could test drive it. This was the day after Porsche let me loose in a brand new 997C2S :lol:

Porsche are usually good like that. I personally think its the best way to sell cars. Except in Aberdeen, the manager is a end of a bell.

Here's another point. How many people have gone out to purchase or look at a car with a particular budget in mind, test drive a car, and the budget goes to the wind. Any good dealer should realise this. But obviously they should have the knack for knowing if someone is just there for a joy ride.

Good point - that happens to me with almost everything I buy from gadgets, clothes, meals to cars. I start off with..."must be sensible and set budget at £X" and end up spending at least half as much again :wacko:

Good point - that happens to me with almost everything I buy from gadgets, clothes, meals to cars. I start off with..."must be sensible and set budget at £X" and end up spending at least half as much again :wacko:

Same here. I always end up spending over what I had planned.

Was thinking about test drives last night, and I remember back in 2000 riding by a BMW garage on my ZXR750 and spotting an M3 Evolution up on the forecourt for nearly £30k. I popped in and asked there & then for a test drive and they had no problems at all in letting me straight out in the car (with the sales person sitting next to me of course).

A week or so later I saw a nearly new Lotus Elise at a Mazda garage and so I phoned up and arranged a test drive. I turned up again on a motorbike (albeit a brand new Ducati 748SPS which was around £12k), the sales bloke gave me the keys to the Elise and off I went. On my own. I took it back about 20mins later, gave him the keys back and left. He gave me no high pressure sales talk at all. In fact I dont think they even asked to see my driving license! :lol: