Shocking Nissan HPC experience West Way Manchester

Alex C

Thats something I have noticed these days, the salesmen let the cars do the talking rather than try to pitch you, the guy at the Porsche garage could have been taking Ketamine he was so laid back :lol:

He probably won't make his monthly target and will be out on his ear. :lol:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another point. How many people have gone out to purchase or look at a car with a particular budget in mind, test drive a car, and the budget goes to the wind. Any good dealer should realise this. But obviously they should have the knack for knowing if someone is just there for a joy ride.

Good point - that happens to me with almost everything I buy from gadgets, clothes, meals to cars. I start off with..."must be sensible and set budget at £X" and end up spending at least half as much again :wacko:

Same here. I always end up spending over what I had planned.

Was thinking about test drives last night, and I remember back in 2000 riding by a BMW garage on my ZXR750 and spotting an M3 Evolution up on the forecourt for nearly £30k. I popped in and asked there & then for a test drive and they had no problems at all in letting me straight out in the car (with the sales person sitting next to me of course).

A week or so later I saw a nearly new Lotus Elise at a Mazda garage and so I phoned up and arranged a test drive. I turned up again on a motorbike (albeit a brand new Ducati 748SPS which was around £12k), the sales bloke gave me the keys to the Elise and off I went. On my own. I took it back about 20mins later, gave him the keys back and left. He gave me no high pressure sales talk at all. In fact I dont think they even asked to see my driving license! :lol:

When I test drove a 350z at West Way Stockport they didn't ask for any sort of ID or drivers licence, and I'd turned up in a '97 Fiesta :lol:

Thats something I have noticed these days, the salesmen let the cars do the talking rather than try to pitch you, the guy at the Porsche garage could have been taking Ketamine he was so laid back :lol:

He could afford crack on his commision!

:p

PETER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live? I will personally drive round no matter how far away you live and show you how to use quotes!

I keep reading things you've quoted and thinking 'thats really out of charachter' for the person quoted........then I look up a few posts and realise its not the person you've quoted!

Immy tends not maske references to Ketamine in her posts :lol:

I nearly got stroppy with Neil yesterday because I thought he was having a go about the context I'd used the word 'Hooning' in until I realised it was some sort of weird butchered mix of your post and his response!

He could afford crack on his commision!

:p

PETER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live? I will personally drive round no matter how far away you live and show you how to use quotes!

I keep reading things you've quoted and thinking 'thats really out of charachter' for the person quoted........then I look up a few posts and realise its not the person you've quoted!

Immy tends not maske references to Ketamine in her posts :lol:

I nearly got stroppy with Neil yesterday because I thought he was having a go about the context I'd used the word 'Hooning' in until I realised it was some sort of weird butchered mix of your post and his response!

Is this how you quote Mr Squirrel rubber lol !

I am guessing I just add to the bottom and leave all the text behind!

:console:

Exactly. Just use the quote button, but it's also relatively a good idea and good forum manners to strip out all the extra gumpf so you don't end up with massive quote pyramids.

Thanks Mr Ekona.

I think its my stripping technics that need working on lol!

Very easy to put ones foot in it on this forum lol.

;)

You've just got to be really careful you don't delete or interfere with these bits

If you do it sort of 'loses' who's made the post - where your quoting more than one person that can then lead to someone elses name being attributed to that particular post (like what happened above with Bronzee and Docwra).

Hello everyone!

Don't know where to start on this all of the issues and opinions have merit.

Yes I think the OP was a little naive to think that he would get full attention by stating the car he was after was not the car he wanted to drive but again the other car was was owned by the group! This can occur as although the group may own the car the individual site will still have to buy it in from the other site. Now if that car has had a lot of money spent on it or the inter company transfer bill is too high to make a viable sale by the other dealership that remains to be seen but certainly not uncommon!

This is a poor precise set up by dealer groups to protect decent stock for individual sites but as in this case (possibly) only results in a poor customer experience.

Secondly; the point about the cars selling them selves and the relaxed sales people, nothing wrong with that, if as I can imagine, the buyer knows more about the car than the seller!!

As a former manager I would be appalled at the lack of thought and service not only to the customer but to the business. Without taking steps to qualify the customer and checking a drivers licence, is tantermount to gross negligence! The insurance of the car would be subject to indorsments etc!!

Finally, the most tragic part of all issues people have with sales people, dealerships & groups is that the motor industry has been in a resession since 2008, it is now competing nationally on price more often than not and in alot of cases the business acumen of the larger groups is dictated by a city analsyst who's first responsibility is to is share holders.

The first things out of the window is training and good recruitment decissions. As such in the last four years wages have been cut significantly, and using the old analogy you pay peanuts you get monkeys. This is not true if all places, but I can say that the good ones will be working twice as hard to maintain a position and very few are moving forward in these difficult times.

Not an excuse, just a bit of reality.

Very sorry for the OPs experience but it should not put him off other dealers or more importantly buying 370 which is a great car, and what's more you get the great support of a forum like this :teeth:

Opps. I will pop over and see Colin and get quote lessons lol.

:headhurt:

Very grateful thanks Ekona and Ricey - that was a close shave :sweat::lol:

Meeoowww and when exactly was it you last "had a close shave" Colin? :)

When you said me I was the techno wiz on here, and that I am certainly not as you know from my failure to get your bluetooth working :blush::surrender:

Yep, certainly haven't had a close shave in the razor department for a long time either :p

Opps. I will pop over and see Colin and get quote lessons lol.

:headhurt:

Very grateful thanks Ekona and Ricey - that was a close shave :sweat::lol:

Meeoowww and when exactly was it you last "had a close shave" Colin? :)

When you said me I was the techno wiz on here, and that I am certainly not as you know from my failure to get your bluetooth working :blush::surrender:

Yep, certainly haven't had a close shave in the razor department for a long time either :p

You are the Wizard of Epsom Downs Colin:)

And I am the quoting God! Umm maybe not.

Yeh that bluetooth really is peeing me off.

Hopefully I will get round to getting that centre Consul out 2moro and checking everything.

B)

Hi mate, yeah had a similar experience at nissan bolton, a lot of members on here have had major probs at nissan dealers. :thumbdown:

Conversely - I had a very good experience

Taken out for a test drive 1st time, 2nd time was allowed out on my own - was out for a good hour or more :thumbs:

Swansea Nissan :#1:

Not all dealerships are like that, there's still one or two which offers good customer service. Like ioneabee, I have a good experience in my dealership Magic Nissan. I found the dealership through a site online. I decided to search through web because I have gone to many dealerships and honestly, some really do have bad services.

Surely if you have what you perceive as a bad experience with a dealership over test driving a car, then yes on that count I would deem it reasonable to go elsewhere to buy a 370.

However. you now say you are now not going to buy a 370 period!

If you were serious about buying one you would swallow and go elsewhere.

The bit I dont understand about your post is the relevance to owning a car that in your words

"I have a car that would paste a 370Z in most departments apart from age and upkeep, surely as an owner of two 300ZX and an R33 GT-R with a brand loyalty, I have acted reasonably here"?

Why would you feel the need to bring this up on a 350/370 forum! as the message that is coming across to us is that you feel you are superior by having a car thats 500bhp and will paste a 370z.

Think Kev T and a few others might comment on that!

Hopefully like most Nissan dealerships. Westway are reading this and may comment themselves!

Maybe you both rubbed each other up the wrong way!

However if you are serious about buying from a dealership that will treat you with respect and you don't mind a trip to West London

I can give you a contact.

I won't dismiss a Z just yet of course, but that is exactly how I felt at the time. I still have to drive one somehow though, As I have very limited time to do so at the moment with work commitments, a more local dealer was perceived to be the most logical way to do so.

Re the other comment, that wasn't a swipe at the 370 but at the comment that " we get all sorts in here wanting to drive the fast cars". All of the points posted so far a reasonable, what is difficult to get across is the way we we spoken to.

We have since received a call from the customer service manager who was effective and polite in addressing our complaints the next day. The aforementioned sales manager also rang and apologised.

Here's another point. How many people have gone out to purchase or look at a car with a particular budget in mind, test drive a car, and the budget goes to the wind. Any good dealer should realise this. But obviously they should have the knack for knowing if someone is just there for a joy ride.

Precisely...my opening gambit of 20-21k, cars on forecourt for 24k, worth letting me drive and talking figures once / if the car got under my skin?

Hi mate, yeah had a similar experience at nissan bolton, a lot of members on here have had major probs at nissan dealers. :thumbdown:

Conversely - I had a very good experience

Taken out for a test drive 1st time, 2nd time was allowed out on my own - was out for a good hour or more :thumbs:

Swansea Nissan :#1:

Not all dealerships are like that, there's still one or two which offers good customer service. Like ioneabee, I have a good experience in my dealership Magic Nissan. I found the dealership through a site online. I decided to search through web because I have gone to many dealerships and honestly, some really do have bad services.

.,...and to think all he needed to do was travel to Washington.

Read it again Chris. Salient points;

- Phoned up over an hour before - wow! Not really lots time for a dealer to move the car about clean it organise staff such as who is doing the test drive etc.

Is 2 hours more reasonable, 1 day, a week? The car was ready to go and there was 1 other customer in the dealership.

- I made it clear that I had a budget of £20-21K and wanted to compare to other cars in the same price bracket (B7 RS4, 335i). *Salesman's alarm bells going off* He's sensing someone who is not here to even potentially buy a 370z never mind the actual car they have.

Maybe yes, but is the expectation that based only on the looks of the car, I wil dismiss all other competitors immediately? I have to drive each manufacturers respective products and make a decision on their merits. It sounds like what I need to do is go to a dealer, lie to them that I definitely want to buy their car that day, get a test drive and then walk out. Unfortunately that isn't my way of dealing with people.

- I considered it perfectly reasonable that I could drive a car that was in stock - I would bet my bottom dollar that this was only discussed when he arrived therefore the dealer is thinking "this guy was bored on a saturday afternoon and on his way into town thought he'd have a razz in our most expensive car on the forecourt to show off to his Mrs. He then proceeds to bore me straight away about buying other cars and having seen another cheaper car at another dealer"

Again quite possible, but as there were four R35s outside for sale I didn't consider that this would be the case and was again too honest. Our demeanour and conversation would not have suggested that I needed to impress my 'Mrs'.

And judging from the OP's posts he obviously thinks he's some sort of Nissan Royalty. Maybe he should have worn his "My other car is a 300zx". Bet he would have got a test drive then :lol:

I have owned two Z32 in the past as well as many other cars. I appreciate the history of Nissan Z cars and have some (clearly misguided) interest in the latest generation. Again my misconception was that dealerships would consider this as a plus point. Judging by your comments, both they and you do not.

Read it again Chris. Salient points;

- Phoned up over an hour before - wow! Not really lots time for a dealer to move the car about clean it organise staff such as who is doing the test drive etc.

Is 2 hours more reasonable, 1 day, a week? The car was ready to go and there was 1 other customer in the dealership.

- I made it clear that I had a budget of £20-21K and wanted to compare to other cars in the same price bracket (B7 RS4, 335i). *Salesman's alarm bells going off* He's sensing someone who is not here to even potentially buy a 370z never mind the actual car they have.

Maybe yes, but is the expectation that based only on the looks of the car, I wil dismiss all other competitors immediately? I have to drive each manufacturers respective products and make a decision on their merits. It sounds like what I need to do is go to a dealer, lie to them that I definitely want to buy their car that day, get a test drive and then walk out. Unfortunately that isn't my way of dealing with people.

- I considered it perfectly reasonable that I could drive a car that was in stock - I would bet my bottom dollar that this was only discussed when he arrived therefore the dealer is thinking "this guy was bored on a saturday afternoon and on his way into town thought he'd have a razz in our most expensive car on the forecourt to show off to his Mrs. He then proceeds to bore me straight away about buying other cars and having seen another cheaper car at another dealer"

Again quite possible, but as there were four R35s outside for sale I didn't consider that this would be the case and was again too honest. Our demeanour and conversation would not have suggested that I needed to impress my 'Mrs'.

And judging from the OP's posts he obviously thinks he's some sort of Nissan Royalty. Maybe he should have worn his "My other car is a 300zx". Bet he would have got a test drive then :lol:

I have owned two Z32 in the past as well as many other cars. I appreciate the history of Nissan Z cars and have some (clearly misguided) interest in the latest generation. Again my misconception was that dealerships would consider this as a plus point. Judging by your comments, both they and you do not.

what a good response :thumbs:

a couple of months ago i was waiting for my mrs to finish work, so i went to look at cars, just general cars really. i was in the honda garage talking to the salesman about the new civic just for the crack and he saw me driving my 350 on the way in. after a chat he said oh we have a 370 in, so we got talking and he offered a test drive to me. he knew i wasn't really after a new car, and probably couldn't afford one but saw that i liked my cars and offered (think he was a bit bored that afternoon to like).

i'm 24 and look like a 17 year old. But when you get a good salesman he doesn't judge you, he tries to help you and interest you, that is there job lets face it and for me that gets me interested and makes me want the car. My main pet peve is salesmen who don't take you seriosuly and judge you on sight presuming you can't afford the car and are after a joy ride.

I went to look at a 2011 370Z today in a Nissan dealership, he was a nice enough guy and I told him that I'd got my long list of cars down to the 370Z and the Audi TTS! I thought at this point he'd throwing brochures/prices/deals/keys at me and basically doing everything he could to get me into the 370! He opened the car so that I could look inside but then shocked me when he said "I'd take you out in it but it's showing empty on the fuel"....I found this rather strange after I had just told him I'm choosing between the last two cars on my list! I then asked a few general questions about the car and was told "I don't know a lot about these as we don't sell many". I also asked if they do PCP deals on used 370's, he said no!!! Which I find a bit odd. I left feeling like he didn't want to sell me the car!

I then went to Cheshire Oaks Audi, I told the guy in there the same thing about being down to the last two cars in my list, I also told him that I was looking at used cars and not new, he took a few details and then vanished for a few minutes! He then came back with the keys for a brand new TTS so that I could take it out and see if I like it! We were out for a good 30 minutes going along motorways/A roads/B roads/country lanes 'to experience the car on all road types' (his words), when we got back he did a quick PCP quote on the new one and gave me that, a brochure and his card....no pressure sales, he just said "If you need anymore help just ask". I was astonished by how helpful he was and the fact that there was no pressure sales during the drive or after, when I got home I'd received an email from him thanking me for taking the time to test drive their TTS!

So here is where I am :)

Audi TTS: sales are great, build quality inside is nicer than the 370, very fast car and nice to drive.

Nissan 370z: sales don't want to know, the outside is just the dogs nuts I can't stop staring at it lol, the drive??? I don't know.

I love the look of the 370 and nothing comes close to it, but if the before sales is so bad, what would the after sales be like if you need them???

Went out in a TTS at Cheshire Oaks the weekend when I got my TDI...................@*!# the bed! Bollock ripping fast and the TTS RS is even quicker!

**EDIT** BTW I agree...........their sales team were superb. Best I've dealt with by a long chalk.

Went to Merc the same day and the bloke looked half cut and told me they basically had no SLK TDI's in the whole country and even if they did the deal they had on would be a right load of rubbish as they would be took spec'd up! Simply did not want to sell me a car!

Just be aware that there is a high risk of catching the incurable disease called "zeditis" at these meets which leads you to spend all your money on modding the zed... :lol:

Tell me about it :lol:

In terms of the bad dealership experience, I do think it boils down to what a few others here have already touched upon - dealerships are not direct representatives of the car manufacturer. Despite being the most 'official' way of buying a new car in the UK and all the brochures/flags/logos, the dealer-manufacturer relationship is barely different to, say, Nikon's relationship to Currys. As a result, the salesman's business of selling a car is no different to the guy in Currys trying to flog a digital camera.

While that's the fact of the matter, I'm not saying it's right, either. Dealerships are very much styled to look like they represent a brand, yet the manufacturers seem to be little bothered about the actions of the dealerships (who, I'd guess, the manufacturers would say don't represent them, only sell their goods). It's almost as if the situation would be better if either of those things were fixed; if I walked into a dealership (perhaps with various brands of car in the showroom?) and came away with the strong impression that they weren't affiliated with Nissan (as Currys aren't with Nikon), then maybe I wouldn't expect as much from them... OR manufacturers should be significantly more focussed on the actions of the dealerships, accepting that they do represent the public image of the manufacturer and should therefore be managed better.

When I got my Z4 M Coupe a while back, I read online that you could take the car to a dealership once and have them reprogram the key to do things like automatically lock the car on drive-away, etc. I did just that (Halliwell Jones in Chester), was given my car keys back with a friendly smile and went on my way. Until 2 days later when they rang to tell me I owed them £45! :rant: I rang and spoke to the manager there without any luck, so I then rang BMW to complain. The result of that? BMW just rang the manager at the dealer and told him to ring me again. So he did, gave me an arsey rant and that was that. If BMW had really cared all that much, they'd have taken the time to get the full story from me, the full story from the dealer and then (in this case) given the dealer a hard kick up the behind. Instead, the service they provided was simply to pass on my message to the dealer, which was hardly supportive of a customer who'd just been conned by that dealer! A plain-as-day example of the 'nothing to do with us' attitude both manufacturers and dealers have with one another.

So here is where I am :)

Audi TTS: sales are great, build quality inside is nicer than the 370, very fast car and nice to drive.

Nissan 370z: sales don't want to know, the outside is just the dogs nuts I can't stop staring at it lol, the drive??? I don't know.

I love the look of the 370 and nothing comes close to it, but if the before sales is so bad, what would the after sales be like if you need them???

I drove a TTS a while ago when comparing against the Z4 M Coupe (I think, although it might have been the Z4 sDrive35i that I got next!) - lovely interiors, but if you're looking for a really good drivers' car, you'll enjoy the 370Z significantly more - the TTS lost out to the BMW when I had a go and the 370's better again! What gets me with the TT in general isn't so much the front-wheel-drive chassis, etc, etc but that it just doesn't feel as much like a sports car as some others do when you're not flat-out - pottering about in one feels identical to pottering about in a hatchback. In the 370, you always feel like you're piloting something more serious and hardcore, which I guess was the image of the 350Z too, and why you get so many more people craning their necks than I ever did in either of the Z4's B) The steering's weightier, as are the pedals and the gearstick actually feels connected to the mechanics of the gearbox. The trick that the 370 plays so well is that despite being a less nice place to sit than the Audi, you still get all the good toys and gadgets (folding mirrors, sat nav, reversing camera, iPod control, touch screen, built-in hard drive, etc, etc depending on age and model), so it's only really a case of some missing nicely-stitched leather and better plastics rather than actual toys. In return, you get something that'll run (four) rings around the TTS :lol:

Obviously, I'd never recommend buying a car without a test drive, but assuming you're after a decent driving experience and get a test drive that might let you just scratch the surface, I bet it'll be a walkover :thumbs: Double-especially if you're ever thinking you might take the thing on a trackday - even the TTRS (apparently) doesn't do that very well.

Clearly, I'm biased, but hopefully that's all of some use - like me, you've obviously got a leaning towards the posher sports cars and are perhaps wondering if the 370's a bit too crude in parts. It's not, and I think it's the gadgets that do it - I didn't get along with my old Mazda RX-8 PZ partially because the interior didn't feel like the more expensive car it was and also because it was pretty basic on kit, whereas I love my 370 :drive1

the TTS lost out to the BMW

What was your main reason for that then and how did you find Z4 ownership as a whole? I had crossed it off my list, but I still do like them! I was looking at the 30i sDrive.

What gets me with the TT in general, it just doesn't feel as much like a sports car as some others do when you're not flat-out - pottering about in one feels identical to pottering about in a hatchback.

Yeah I know what you mean, until I booted it, it didn't feel Grrrrrr stay away lol :), that's why I love the look of the 370, just parked up it looks like if you go too close it will rip your head off and eat it :)

Thanks for your input...even more to think about now :)