Meet Ermintrude...

Vik54

...well my idea of economy drive :wacko::lol:

It is all relative afterall :blush:

two 'options' I am considering - am under no illusions as to the (lack) of power :shrug: but I still want some toys and comfort.

http://www.alistairbuchan.co.uk/used-cars/peugeot-407-2-2-se-2dr-east-wemyss-201214461268353 - needs new tyres and a service, ex fleet car - it has a years' MOT with no advisories (although with the state of those tyres not sure of how much value the opinion of the tester is :lol: )

http://www.edinburghmotors.com/used-cars/bmw-3-series-318-ci-16v-2dr-edinburgh-201219469925843 - one lady owner - yeah c'mon then lets see the V5

:blink: any experiences? Any opinions?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does the quote of 1 lady driver mean that the car is going to be excellent "just because of that" - in my experience (and seeing what some of you sprinkles get up to here) - I'd run a mile if I saw an advert like that :stir:

why does the quote of 1 lady driver mean that the car is going to be excellent "just because of that" - in my experience (and seeing what some of you sprinkles get up to here) - I'd run a mile if I saw an advert like that :stir:

:p of course the clutch will be buggered, the engine oil starved and there won't be any juice in the windscreen scooshers :lol:

it certainly looks mint :shrug:

BMW for me vik :thumbs:

Look at the interior of the pug though :cloud9: ... then again have zero experience of pugs and you hear such horror stories - however, the reviews are relatively positive of this engine :)

Personally I wouldn't get a 318i. They are so underpowered that they aren't great on fuel. Generally the BMW 6 cylinders are the ones to go for. 320i and up. Have you thought about a 330d or 325d? If your doing alot of miles they are great.

What about an odd choice like Clio 182 or E38 728i or maybe a Golf gti/tdi?

:p of course the clutch will be buggered, the engine oil starved and there won't be any juice in the windscreen scooshers :lol:

it certainly looks mint :shrug:

You forgot that all 4 wheels will be kerbed! :p

For that money id be looking at something like a mk4 Golf TDI. nearly 60mpg, lovely drive and reliable.

That beemer, advert doesnt show mileage and he says "below average". Well, average for 2003 would be about 130,000, so because he`s not listing it, id expect you are looking at over 100k. Not that thats a problem, but 30k peugeot compared to 100k+ beemer.

All depends on what you want though. If you want a family 4 door saloon, or a hatchback, or a sporty car... so much to choose from these days.

Economy = diesel. Anything petrol will be pointless, as it'll drink the stuff.

320d would be the one to go for in that size. After all, a million reps can't be wrong! :D

The diesels problems are high maintenance. Egr needs cleaned and or blocked. Inlet manifold needs cleaned as they are dirty. Crankcase breather needs a new filter or changed for a vortex style one.

If the turbo breaks or you need a clutch and a DMF you are no better off than before. £1000 is alot of fuel. If its short journeys I wouldn't recommend a diesel. It kills them. A diesel will be higher miles but BMWs carry the miles very well.

For that money id be looking at something like a mk4 Golf TDI. nearly 60mpg, lovely drive and reliable.

That beemer, advert doesnt show mileage and he says "below average". Well, average for 2003 would be about 130,000, so because he`s not listing it, id expect you are looking at over 100k. Not that thats a problem, but 30k peugeot compared to 100k+ beemer.

All depends on what you want though. If you want a family 4 door saloon, or a hatchback, or a sporty car... so much to choose from these days.

its only at 71k so not bad really - but yes I hear what you're saying in relation to the Pug's mileage.

I want a coupe with some comfort so that there isn't such a huge hole in my heart each morning when I get in and set off for work without the Z badge on the steering wheel :blush:

Guys I don't do the mileage to justify a diesel - obviously the 320d would be my preference however in my price range even on a national search there are only some very high mileage ones with no toys or comfort packs. I've been around Beemers a lot (dad's preferred marque) and there's no way I am getting into a high mileage diesel BMW when I am meant to be on economy drive - it would only lead to more bills :lol:

Go find me something nice - prefer coupes - preferably with leather - must have decent service history - only colours that are out are silver and burgundy (unless it is a total bargain) absolute MAXIMUM £4k :thumbs:

I'd say the Beemer out of those two as well. Not the 318i though, the bigger petrols can't cost much more?

What about a TT? This one looks alright, it's the 225 too. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Or an SLK / CLK? They can't be that bad.

Is a Volvo C70 too old-girlish for you?

I'm not sure of your requirements but is an MR2 / MX-5 too basic?

I would defo have the BMW, i bought a brand new one in janurary and its a pleasure to drive. BMW's dont really change much from model to model mostly cosmetic. I bought a 2l petrol as the diesel cost alot more and i would never get the money back with the miles i drive.

Dont buy the pug, there cheap for a reason, good engine's really bad for electrical problems and there FRENCH!

Coupe for £4000. Hmm.... how about aHyundai Coupe? They must be around that sort of price now and I know a few people who have had them and enjoyed them. As someone else said, Audi TT`s must be getting cheaper now.

Whilst you said you wanted something a bit sporty, personally id go for something a bit non sporty. That way, when you get back in the zed you will really appreciate the performance difference. I know I did, when I was driving the missus`s old shed (Peugeot 307 HDI) for a few weeks then got back in the zed a couple of times a week. It was like climbing out of a transit van and getting into a spaceship the difference in performance. Made me love my zed again!

Speaking of which, the Peugeot 307 HDI we have as our shed isnt a bad motor. 52mpg every week, 600 miles on a tank of diesel, cruises smoothly & comfortably at 80mph all day long. Cant hear the engine when your stopped in traffic (have to keep checking to see if ive stalled it). Only thing we have had to do to it is new tyres and suspension top mounts (10quid), in the last 40,000 miles. Sure, 0-60 takes a while as its only got 90bhp, but 4 doors, plenty of room for adults (took 3 mates all the way from Northampton to Manchester & back in it the other week), and a massive boot on it. Depreciation on it has been roughly £500 a year. £120 a year to tax and £200 to insure. Sure, its not what you are looking for, but ive been pleasantly supprised by this old shed!

Coupe for £4000. Hmm.... how about aHyundai Coupe? They must be around that sort of price now and I know a few people who have had them and enjoyed them. As someone else said, Audi TT`s must be getting cheaper now.

Whilst you said you wanted something a bit sporty, personally id go for something a bit non sporty. That way, when you get back in the zed you will really appreciate the performance difference. I know I did, when I was driving the missus`s old shed (Peugeot 307 HDI) for a few weeks then got back in the zed a couple of times a week. It was like climbing out of a transit van and getting into a spaceship the difference in performance. Made me love my zed again!

Speaking of which, the Peugeot 307 HDI we have as our shed isnt a bad motor. 52mpg every week, 600 miles on a tank of diesel, cruises smoothly & comfortably at 80mph all day long. Cant hear the engine when your stopped in traffic (have to keep checking to see if ive stalled it). Only thing we have had to do to it is new tyres and suspension top mounts (10quid), in the last 40,000 miles. Sure, 0-60 takes a while as its only got 90bhp, but 4 doors, plenty of room for adults (took 3 mates all the way from Northampton to Manchester & back in it the other week), and a massive boot on it. Depreciation on it has been roughly £500 a year. £120 a year to tax and £200 to insure. Sure, its not what you are looking for, but ive been pleasantly supprised by this old shed!

I'm at least a 18 months off getting back into a zed so I still need some luxury :wink:

Yup the Hyundai's are in that range and ther is a lovely wee red one in Dundee for sale at the moment :)

Vik don't buy a Hyundai Coupe you will hate it :yuck:

They do look nice but they are awful to drive, absolutely no torque whatsoever and they feel like they are going to fall to bits any minute, never gave me any kind of confidence to drive at all :thumbdown:

Add to that the fact that the 2.0l SE I had was barely more economical than a Zed and that kind of seals it.... you could always get the V6 Hyundai Couple, absolutely no quicker than the 2l as it is heavier and even worse on fuel :thumbs:

You would be better off buying a really cheap RX8 and driving the nuts off it until it was wankelled :lol: